It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Registering a car and Certificate of Conformity
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:42 pm 

I am going to register my UK car over in France later this year, it is a RHD diesel Citroen which we bought for the sole intention of bringing over and leaving it there permanantly . I get so confused reading through the process of registration. There does not seem to be a step by step easy way that is in plain English. I know I will need to get a certificate of conformity, and take all the documentation over.
I have read that I can get this certificate here in the UK and that it will be accepted when I register the car?
I know I will have to insure it and get it through the controle teqnique etc..The tax is now due on the car, so we plan to only get 6 months. I have ordered new replacement headlights from E=bay france and plan to change them before we go. Also need to get the warning triangle, hi viz jacket and the rest
We are only visiting for 10 days later this month and probably will not be over again until early May, possibly for 7 days, then again in July....
So basically how long does the whole process take and what steps do I make to start the ball rolling?
Our place is in the Dordogne, south of Limoges, and I think there is a place in Nontron to do the registration?

Post subject: Re: Registering a car and Certificate of Conformity
PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:23 pm 

Hi JohnBorris,

Personally, I do it in this order:
1. Get your CoC
2. Get your VT
3. Get insured
4. Get your CT
5. Get your carte grise
6. Get your plates.

As you may expect, questions at to exactly how to go about each step come up quite frequently on forums such as this! So, "Google is Your Friend" .. :) However, if you haven't yet found anything that works for you, here are 2 sites that might:
http://www.squidoo.com/destination_fran ... gistration
http://riviera.angloinfo.com/informatio ... gister.asp

And then feel free to come back with any further queries.

As to the time required - well, once you've got the CoC, you could, in theory, do the whole thing in a day ... but that would assume the Hotel des Impôts could issue the VT on the spot, the insurance could be arranged swiftly, that you'd made an appointment for the CT (and you passed), that the CG queue at the Prefecture wasn't too long ... etc.

HTH.

Craig

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:33 pm 
I thought we had to get the CT done before getting it insured, but I might be wrong about that. I took just over a month, but that was because I couldn't cope with more than one lot of bureaucracy in a week. I don't see any advantage in rushing to get it all done in a day or so, but that's just me. Breaking it down into individual, manageable steps is the way to go.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:29 pm 

Hi Kathy,
kathyc wrote:
I thought we had to get the CT done before getting it insured, but I might be wrong about that.

It's probably better to get the insurance first just in case it takes longer than expected to get thru the CT. Just make sure your insurer knows - MAAF, in our case.

kathyc wrote:
I took just over a month, but that was because I couldn't cope with more than one lot of bureaucracy in a week. I don't see any advantage in rushing to get it all done in a day or so, but that's just me. Breaking it down into individual, manageable steps is the way to go.

Agree! -:)

Cheers

Craig

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 11:36 pm 

John, I intend to take my current car, a Citroen C5 to France soon and re-register it. I contacted Citroen UK to ask about the Cert of Conformity and was advised to contact the following -

Ms Aline Labet
Service Relations Clientèle
Automobiles Citroën
Immeuble Colisse 111
12 rue Fructidor
75017 Paris
France.
E-mail rlc@citroen.com
Telephone: 00 33 (0) 1 58 79 70 29

Hope this helps

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:11 pm 

Thanks DavyH....
C5....nice car, is it a diesel?....remember to get your headlights sorted
That will save me a phonecall to Citroen UK....I have read it costs around 100 euros to get the cert from France......but unsure?
I will email them and let you know the outcome......
Ventodue Not sure what the VT stands for....?

Clouseau, Inspector

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:29 pm 

Hi John, yes it's a diesel, with a mere 150,000 on the clock! It's worth next to nothing now so when I get a new car I am going to move the Citroen over. With Ryanair starting a Edinburgh to Poitiers route, the timing is perfect.

I've got a mate in France keeping an eye out at the local scrapyards for headlamps, don't want to have to buy new ones and double the value of the car ;)

I'm not too sure about the "VT" either - there are some stickies on other France forums that have some good details about re-registering,

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:10 am 

johnborris wrote:
<snip>
Ventodue Not sure what the VT stands for....?
JohnB

Hi John and Davy,

Ok, sorry for that - I was trying to avoid writing a lengthy monologue, you understand!

A VT 1993 is a certificate from the French tax authorities to the effect that there is no VAT to be paid on the vehicle. It applies to vehicles that are more than 6 months old or have done more than 6,000km.

The full title of this document is a ‘Certificat d’acquisition d’un véhicule terrestre à moteur (aéronef/bateau) en provenance de la communauté Européenne par une personne non identifiée à la TVA ‘. Not surprisingly, it is normally referred to as a VT 1993. (It is also sometimes called a ‘quitus douanier/de la douane’.)

To obtain one, you need to go to your local Hotel des Impôts with the following documents:
• A copy of the UK registration certificate (take the original too, but do NOT let it be retained - you will need it later).
• A proof of your identity, e.g. passport, photographic driving licence. Take photocopies too.
• Proof of your residential address in France, e.g. utility bill, taxe d’habitation demand. Again, take photocopies with you.

Ask to see whoever deals with the VT 1993 and hand-over your documents to them. You will get back something that looks like this:

Note:
A blank form is not downloadable from the web. Instead, the form is supplied and completed by the fonctionnaire. Hopefully, this will done while you wait; but if the office is busy, or if you have asked for more than one vehicle to be provided with a VT, then you may have to arrange to come back and pick them up another day.

HTH - and any more queries, please feel free to ask.

Craig

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:42 am 

Many Thanks for that Craig, it will be a big help in the future.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:11 am 
Also commonly referred to as a "Quitus fiscal".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:51 pm 

There is nothing to stop you getting French insurance even before you leave UK. You can arrange it over the phone with nothing more than the UK reg number and the vehicle VIN number. With that and your Quittus (VT threw me as well !) you can legally drive the car for up to 1 month whilst completing the rest of the process.

It can indeed be done in a day, a few hours even. I got the Qutti (? :? ) for both my cars on the spot and neither took over an hour in the Prefecture.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:12 pm 

Oke dokes, Our Citroen Picasso is over in our barn in France (we are back in the UK)...the battery on a Ctek conditioner which will keep it maintained. I have to say that the drive down to 24 from Manchester was really easy, the 2 litre diesel Citroen was set on cruse control all the way down and returned fantastic fuel economy.....My wife drives an '02 diesel C3 here in the UK and gets over 60MPG...
We are back over in early May.
I had ordered new headlights from e-bay france but it fell through and the seller returned my money....which maybe was a good thing. Maybe the headlights can be re-adjusted to dip the correct way instead of changing the units???

Has anyone any ideas about this or do I definately need to change them??

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:27 pm 

I thought that my C5 estate had adjustable headlights.... BUT ... I am now older and much wiser, although significantly poorer, having had to have new headlamp units which proved amazingly expensive!! I tried all the normal suppliers but could not get second-hand units for my model and had to go down the 'new parts' route. Try to get second hand units if you don't want a very expensive shock!! :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:24 pm 

I have just spoke with a great guy in the parts department of a local citroen dealership who reckons that because my picasso lights are totally clear on the lenses they can be adjusted to suit driving in France......
Maybe the best way forward is take the car for a CT and then if needed buy French lights?
Is there a further charge for a CT if I have to return etc....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:18 pm 

Clouseau wrote:
I have just spoke with a great guy in the parts department of a local citroen dealership who reckons that because my picasso lights are totally clear on the lenses they can be adjusted to suit driving in France......
Maybe the best way forward is take the car for a CT and then if needed buy French lights?
Is there a further charge for a CT if I have to return etc....

No extra charge for going back to get checked anything that needed a contravisite (sorry for spelling) and it is often in given time period (think 2 months or need to get new one done). It is worth doing a few basic checks first (like lights work, check wiper blades, tyres are matching pair on each axle, etc.) Also worth going to garage to get lights adjusted before you get CT in case you need the LH ones.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:15 am 

I have sorted out the Certificate of Conformity.......you can actually get it direct from Citroen UK, the cost is £93.
They just need copies of your UK registration document, photo ID (passport) and a utility bill.
I did contact Citroen in France and the cost was 135 euros..

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:12 pm 
But only around 67€ from DRIRE.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 8:58 am 

My car is now officially registered in France and the whole process was not too bad. First I got the Certificate of Conformity, then I looked into the headlights and eventually bought 2 new ones from Ebay France.

I changed the heatlights and took the car for for Controle Technique, the headlights were fine although the aim was a little low.
The next day I went over to Nontron to the Centre de Impots and 15 mins later walked out with the VT 1993 form, which says there is no VAT payable. This form is free. I could have then gone to the Sous Prefecture in Nontron and had the Carte Grise posted out to me, but instead went down to the Prefecture in Perigueux where I was told I could get it sorted the same day.
We were only over for a week, so I wanted to get it alll done and dusted. In Perigueux, some kind people filled in all the neccessary forms and we were issued with a provisional registration form and the car's new number.

Just outside the Prefecture is a guy who makes up and fits number plates (what a good spot for business..!)
Then over to our insurance people.....

Total cost....Headlights 170
Certificate of Conformity 106
...............CT........... 67
Registration 151
Number Plates 30

524 euros

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Hope this helps sillysally! I've deleted the other one I started today, as this one is a better reference, but I would repeat....

Without wanting to upset anyone, I do cringe when I see an obvious rhd vehicle coming towards me - smallish child in front passenger seat, and think "They'd be the first to cop it in a head-on collision" Keep them in the back please, caring parents. :ymhug:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:15 pm 
Site Admin

I'll make this a sticky !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:27 pm 

Clouseau wrote:
Total cost....Headlights 170
Certificate of Conformity 106
...............CT........... 67
Registration 151
Number Plates 30

524 euros
Worth noting that the registration is actually a tax based on the CV of the car, the higher the CV the more the cost :( .
Also, I think that if the car is classed as zero emission then it could be exempt altogether :)
The value gets printed on the Carte Grise under "Y" references. For instance ours cost just over 300 euro for immatriculation. :((

My Flickr Photos...
My 500px Photos...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:38 pm 

When I changed mine about 5 years ago the carte grise cost 35€ per ch
reduced to half-price if the car is 10+ years old.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:34 pm 

I guess, looking back that I thought the whole process would be so arkward, but is was easy. If taking a car from the UK get the Certificate of conformity before you leave and make sure you have 3 copies of every document before you begin things.
Our 2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso Exclusive 2.0 diesel enjoys being back where it was built and over the past 18mths has been back to the UK twice pulling a Daxara trailer with washing machine, dishwasher, tools and paint...
In the time we are not over it sits covered over in our barn on a small Ctek battery charger/conditioner which is fantastic and well recommended.

Second hand car prices in France are unbeleivable, but cheap enough in the UK and although the car is RHD, and attracts a few stares now and again, it has been totally reliable and returns 55 to the gallon.