It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:41 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Photo sizing
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:52 pm 
Site Admin

Some members are posting huge photos which can be very slow to down/up load and cannot be seen in their entirety without scrolling along or down.

I have therefore reduced the size of photo that you can post on the forum to max 800 pixels wide x 800 pixels long - that's about 14cm x 14cm. This saves the mods having to resize the photos to make them easier to look at - we don't always have the time to do it :-T
I hope this won't cause any problems !

Post subject: Re: Photo sizing
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:37 am 

Blaze wrote:
Some members are posting huge photos which can be very slow to down/up load and cannot be seen in their entirety without scrolling along or down.

I have therefore reduced the size of photo that you can post on the forum to max 800 pixels wide x 800 pixels long - that's about 14cm x 14cm. This saves the mods having to resize the photos to make them easier to look at - we don't always have the time to do it :-T
I hope this won't cause any problems !

As long as it does it automatically using the forum system, now that Photobucket is gone, I can see no problem with that.

I have been intrigued to see though, that sometimes the oversize monsters are posted by Mods. :shock: 8-|

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:14 am 
Site Admin

Don't PCs have some sort of software like MS Paint or something else to handle photos ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:25 am 

Blaze wrote:
Don't PCs have some sort of software like MS Paint or something else to handle photos ?

Yes, mine does, but used so rarely I can never remember how to do it

On this forum I use the panels below this to do it, on the PAD (Dobermann) site it is even easier, and, as these are the only 2 forums I use, no need for anything else. :)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:59 am 

Sure its all been on here before aka sizing photos.
For those with windows photoshop does it well.
If like me you have linux there are a number, i personaly use gimp for all photos wether its resizing, colour correcting, focus etc.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:07 am 
Site Admin

It looks as if I've been snookered on this - the board is not allowing the size limitation. As I'm finding it increasingly difficult to see large photos on this forum, I won't be able to resize any more oversized photos.

Just crossed with Papi - I don't think you need any extras like Photoshop or Gimp. PC's Paint, which is part of the PC package, allows you to do it. Logically, any computer that allows you to use photos should allow you to resize them - all this info can be Googled ! ;)

As you say, Papi, this subject has been raised in the past, with explanations by HWH on how to do it on PC.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:48 am 

Being a complete luddite Blaze, i dont know if you can just resize on the pc without paintshop etc, ad I have thousands of photos which ive had to jigger with over the years putting them on our website when in business etc ive always used a program for the job.
Still have lots as of our five grandchildren etc.
Just received some for Christmas and living here its our way of keeping up to date, dont they grow up fast.
Thinks, which dustbin did the monthly photo comp end up in?
Was it really 3 years ago that it died?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:59 am 

After a lot of messing about, I finally managed to do it, this, my next passenger, via Easy Resize Photos.

I know now why I rarely do it on this forum.

Attachment:
Archie%20in%20bed%20with%20cat_Easy-Resize.com.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:02 pm 

For those using Microtheft's Windows 10 (and possibly other versions):

Go to your photo files and click once on the photo you wish to resize. (don't double click this will open the picture and you want to be working in your folders).
You now have an option to edit. Click on edit.
A new window opens with the picture in paint and you can resize the image.
Save the resized image and then post it as an attachment.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:14 pm 
Site Admin

Papibryn wrote:
Thinks, which dustbin did the monthly photo comp end up in?
Was it really 3 years ago that it died?

It died due to lack of interest :(

Love the piccy, Spardo :x

Thanks for the explanation, thelastoneout - I'm afraid I'm not a Windows buff. Nor a smart phone for that matter - I haven't a clue whether you can resize directly on a phone ?! 8-}

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:24 am 

There are two parts to this problem.

1. posters not appreciating just how big the everyday photos they take can be.

2. many folk, particularly the older generation many of whom are relative newcomers to the internet and may have never previously owned or even used a PC, are coming to it with iPads - or worse just smartphones - both of which can make resizing photos a clunky chore.

There is a general rule of thumb when it comes taking digital photos and that is images only need to be as big as the size you might want to view or print them at and in the vast majority of cases that means file sizes of no more than a couple of hundred kilobytes. You only need more if you intend zooming in.

It's not a problem confined to forums of course, I've lost count of the number of times people have sent me emails with multi mB photos attached, or worse embedded in the mail itself, and on a slow internet connection that's not funny !

BTW spardos resized image weighs in at a minuscule 600 x 600 pixels and a mere 56kb whereas it probably began life as several mB.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:14 am 

ErnieY wrote:

BTW spardos resized image weighs in at a minuscule 600 x 600 pixels and a mere 56kb whereas it probably began life as several mB.

You're right Ernie, 2160 x 2160 and 896kb.

But it isn't one of mine, was sent to me as an attachment.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:04 am 
Site Admin

Yes, Ernie, you're right. There is an assumption today that everyone has some sort of smartphone or iPad and a fast internet connection. We too get sent huge photos that are impossible to download - a photographer sent me a load at +/- 16 MB, with no thumbnails, so impossible to download them. It would have taken forever and if my husband is working on his laptop, he would have no access to internet. I know I cab limit file size on my SFR email - I haven't looked at the others.

There are apps for smartphones for resizing - I've just looked on Google. There are also various instructions on how to use them. It doesn't seem to be too complicated but then as you say, some older folk have probably never used a computer.

I had to laugh - a friend sent a photo to my mobile phone yesterday. This is in spite of telling her that I rarely use it, it's never switched on, but worse still, it's not a smart phone =)) So goodness only know where the photo has ended up !

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:04 pm 

It happens even with people who should know, my step son is a semi pro photographer but he insists on sending us photos of grand children by his top range mobile in spite of my complaints.
I can only open the huge format pics in gimp then reduce and export to my pictures folder in jpeg.
His format had so many letters on it i just ignore it, must be just his mobile.
Mobiles i hate them.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:07 am 

Is it the mobile to blame or the step son? All mobiles with cameras I have used allow the user to select the size of the picture pixel wise.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:55 am 
Site Admin

That's very much what I suspected, Teapot. It's just a question of finding out how to do it. Most of the gadgets we use today have far greater capabilities than the users ... !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:51 pm 

There are two issues - image size and file size. A high quality (lower compression) picture has a larger file size than a lower quality (higher compression) picture of the same image size.

To allow Mr Blaze access to Internet, the sender needs to lower the quality / increase the compression and thus the file size of the image irrespective of the image size.

To stop pictures going off side of TFF and messing up the thread, posters need to change the image size to 800 x 800 irrespective of the file size.

But with digital cameras now saving upwards of 36Mb per image it does mess things up. I tend to use DxO suite to do any editting on Windows. Silly thing is, for a standard 10x15cm print, the picture does not need to be high quality.

As for the photo to Blaze's phone - you will probably get a text message with a URL to download it from your mobile provider's web server.

J

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:08 pm 
Site Admin

niemeyjt wrote:
To stop pictures going off side of TFF and messing up the thread, posters need to change the image size to 800 x 800 irrespective of the file size. J

That's exactly what I've been trying to say !!

Most people have no intention of printing a poster from their photos and a 36Mb photo will not improve a bad shot. In fact reducing the size of the photo will often make it look sharper. As you say, J, most people don't want to print off a photo larger than 10 x 15.

Only Andrew who can access the "back office" of the forum to make a limit on file size. The Admin control panel doesn't go far enough - I'll have to speak very nicely to Andrew :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:17 pm 

Blaze wrote:
That's very much what I suspected, Teapot. It's just a question of finding out how to do it. Most of the gadgets we use today have far greater capabilities than the users ... !

It's a doddle on most Android phones.
Camera,
Settings,
Camera setting not video,
Picture size.
1.3mp