It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:27 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Warm food for dogs?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:32 pm 

I know you may think that I should know this, but the subject simply hasn't come up in my life before.

Our 13 year old English Setter, Tosca, was off her food and rapidly losing weight until about 3 weeks ago so I took her to the vet.

Blood tests told us that there was a problem with her liver and he prescribed 2 daily pills and only white meat with veg or rice.

We followed this advice and she got her appetite back and regained 1 kilo in 12 days.

To make things easier for us, as far as possible we have aligned our own diet with hers and it is working well. However, we like our food hot of course and so poor Tosca has been watching us tuck in while we wait for hers to cool down.

Now, of course I am not going to give her hot food, but how cold does it need to be? Warm, a bit warm, or definitely stone cold?

As I said, not something I have had to think about before. :-?

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

Post subject: Re: Warm food for dogs?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:50 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
I dont think that it matters too much, for the dog

I've seen a dog get tucked in to a just killed chicken, (the bloody chicken tried to play chicken with my young springers and lost) so that was at blood heat, also I have seen dogs try to eat meat and veg which was too hot for them, so they let it cool down, and then scoffed it down

Also when I slaughtered a goat, the intestines that I did not want, did not last long in the bowl, before a Springer was waltsing off the large stomach, which was inflating by the ferminting forage in the stomach

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:32 am 
Site Admin

I'd say by the time you've served the dog's portion first, into a cold bowl, served up your own and all sat down (so to speak), it would be ok for your dog. Rice is great for dogs, something in it makes their coats soft and shiny.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:55 am 

Thank you for your replies. So it would seem that food which isn't completely cold would not have a detrimental effect on the dog's stomach.

She has certainly benefitted from the change in diet, her bowl is always clean and shiny afterwards and now we worry that we are not giving her enough. 8-|

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:13 am 

Our dog a "Borzoi" liked tuna and rice, the rice was still warm when the tuna was mixed in, the wife checked it with a finger, so I would say, just check the temperature as if feeding yourself or a child. Spec

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:24 am 

Thanks Spec, more or less what we are doing now, also she gets sardines a couple of times a week as a relief from the turkey and chicken offerings.

As this is likely to be a long term, or even permanent, thing for her from now on, I will have to do a cost comparison at some point too.

No more croquettes to buy, or at least just a few poultry based to allow a sprinkling of crunchy to her meals, and no more tinned meat.

Sharing pasta, rice, vegetables white meat and white fish with us could work out cheaper in the long run.

We haven't quite got to the point of setting her a place at the table yet though. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:58 am 

Ludo,our dog, had pancreatitis which damaged her liver and, for the past 6 years she has eaten chicken and rice with a very small bowl of low fat (EN) croquettes.
I buy a chicken and poach it whole in a large saucepan for 40 minutes, then I lift out the chicken and add risotto rice to cook in the stock.
Then I portion it up into daily servings and freeze it, chicken and rice. Ludo is medium sized and a chicken makes 10 portions.
Incidently, this was caused, or at least aggravated by our misguided habit if giving her *treats* such as bits of cheese and the fat off the ham and so on.
She has apple (no pips) and carrot instead now. Ludo will be 11 in Spring and is fine.
Hope this helps.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:22 pm 

Sounds like a good idea, only trouble for us is we don't have a large freezer, just a fridge/freezer, no room here.

Also, I'm not sure she would want the same meal every day, when we started this regime she refused some of the rice on the third day. So I try to vary it with pasta, potatoes and other veg. She does like the grated carrot though.

Interesting about the treats. I do keep the rind from ham and cheese for treats, but it doesn't amount to much on a daily basis.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:52 pm 

Interesting topic. We have a 10-year old English setter who loves rice. I always cook far too much and he gets the leftovers mixed with his "wrinklies" croquettes. We hardly ever eat ham but OH gives him the rind from hard cheese. He's less keen on pasta, refuses potatoes point blank and adores raw carrot. I think he read a book on the subject in his youf.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:59 am 

We could be starting a recipe club for pets :D "Jake" was a big dog if you have seen a Borzoi, so he went through two chickens a week, we would buy cheap ones and then roast them, DW would then take off all the skin and meat, Jake would sit at the side of her waiting for bits of skin to accidently :^o fall into his mouth, there was no point in freezing it, his treats were the fat off steaks, bacon, etc and after a fry up the left over juice poured onto his biscuits, "Purina" his only other snack was a sausage roll, which he had could very gently take from your mouth, " Borzois" have big mouths, I once had my head in his, :( not nice with a P*** off dog, my fault entirely. Spec

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:37 pm 
Site Admin

I think you have to feed each dog according to its needs and what it likes !
Our two Aussies are greedy wee shites - they'll pinch anything given half a chance, particularly if it's something like steak on a BBQ ! Even better when it's someone else's x_x

Seriously though, both dogs have health issues and we've put them both on Hill's - one gets j/d lite and the other gets l/d for her liver. They get a flat ramekin's worth, which is tiny, am and pm and the results have been remarkable : loss of excess weight, good coats and bounding with energy. We give them any veg that's left over and they adore apples and blackberries off the bushes.

We've always found rice goes down well, particularly if a dog doesn't feel 100%. It's easy to digest and you only have to add something tasty and it never fails. We use the Hill's because it seems to suit them and the fact that they need so little makes me wonder what on earth is in some of the other dried foods. We generally add tepid water to stop them gobbling.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:05 pm 

Blaze wrote:
I think you have to feed each dog according to its needs and what it likes !
Our two Aussies are greedy wee shites - they'll pinch anything given half a chance, particularly if it's something like steak on a BBQ ! Even better when it's someone else's x_x

Seriously though, both dogs have health issues and we've put them both on Hill's - one gets j/d lite and the other gets l/d for her liver. They get a flat ramekin's worth, which is tiny, am and pm and the results have been remarkable : loss of excess weight, good coats and bounding with energy. We give them any veg that's left over and they adore apples and blackberries off the bushes.

We've always found rice goes down well, particularly if a dog doesn't feel 100%. It's easy to digest and you only have to add something tasty and it never fails. We use the Hill's because it seems to suit them and the fact that they need so little makes me wonder what on earth is in some of the other dried foods. We generally add tepid water to stop them gobbling.

Our girl has weight loss already, the reason we went to the vet in the first place. He has a whole range of foods for sale, including Hill's, but waved them all aside when I asked for recommendations.

He is a good vet but a poor salesman. It was him, years ago, who recommended a little 4-oils with their food each day for the skin and coat. He told me to get it from the supermarket, so much cheaper than on his shelves. :)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

There's an awful lot of hype in commercial pet foods and I'm sure they could be fed just as well with what we could produce.

Regarding food temperature, ours are happy to have tepid to warm water in their food, but not cold.