It is currently Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:57 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
  Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: President Chump hits back
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 3:58 pm 

Location: Norwich, Anglia de l'est et la république de francophilie
I suspect that analysing what's really going on will require the wilder shores of game theory. As for Mueller, who knows what Bannon has? What is obvious is that Trump feels that he no longer needs Breitbart, which is itself revealing regarding future WH policy.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:32 am 
Site Admin

Wolff's book was well-timed and the whole business is like watching a dreadful soap. Bannon has always come across as loathsome and it's no surprise that love turned to hate.

I see that the book has already gone on sale - why didn't the White House insist on reading an advance copy/preview before allowing publication ? But perhaps they did ...

There's always a risk attached to allowing the press into your life. You may not read what you want to read.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:57 pm 

They didn't allow publication. Indeed they tried to have it banned, which is why the publishers rushed it out.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:11 pm 

Just about to download my copy:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fire-Fury-Michael-Wolff-ebook/dp/B078GSYDZ2/ref=sr_1_1_twi_kin_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1515252614&sr=8-1&keywords=fire+and+fury+inside+the+trump+white+house

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:39 pm 

That is an expensive Kindle book - I'll wait till it's 1.99. Shouldn't take long.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 7:52 pm 

Trump's outrage certainly hasn't done sales any harm! It's hard to report on him now without it sounding like you're taking the p*ss!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:07 pm 

DaveW wrote:
That is an expensive Kindle book - I'll wait till it's 1.99. Shouldn't take long.

I agree. Its outrageous. But I just can't wait!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:48 am 

DaveW wrote:
That is an expensive Kindle book - I'll wait till it's 1.99.

Me too, or preferably 0.99€.
I notice he's described himself as a "stable genius". With a 'strong and stable' government on the other side of the pond, shouldn't we be worried?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:03 am 

MAD87 wrote:
DaveW wrote:
That is an expensive Kindle book - I'll wait till it's 1.99.

Me too, or preferably 0.99€.
I notice he's described himself as a "stable genius". With a 'strong and stable' government on the other side of the pond, shouldn't we be worried?

There must be, like, loads of totally smart, mentally stable members of this forum. We should, like, form a club. :lol:

It's the 'like' that elevates Trump's recent tweetboast from the mundane to an unwittingly bigly work of performance art.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:16 am 

Donald Trump and Vicky Pollard share the same persona!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:38 am 
Site Admin

FredM wrote:
There must be, like, loads of totally smart, mentally stable members of this forum. We should, like, form a club. :lol:
It's the 'like' that elevates Trump's recent tweetboast from the mundane to an unwittingly bigly work of performance art.

He's, like, WOW ......

%-(

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 1:47 pm 

Blaze wrote:
FredM wrote:

He's, like, WOW ......

%-(

=))

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:20 pm 

By a piece of great good fortune the paper shop delivered a copy of the Sunday Times this morning by mistake (they said I could keep it when I pointed this out). It contains some extracts from the book. If 10% is true, then everything we all thought we already knew is confirmed. If it is more than 10% be very afraid.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:44 pm 

I think we are seeing the start of part 2 of the 3 part plan to try to get rid of Trump - using the 25th Amendment. This is why he is tweeting that he is "stable" - to counter any such attempts.

Sure the guy is a great disappointment and an idiot - in hoc through his son-in-law to the Israel lobby, not learning from Obama that dropping weapons into war zones makes wars worse, etc.

But that does not give an unelected elite the right to try to overthrow him.

J

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

I'm a quarter of the way through the book. Fascinating and terrifying in equal measure. I'd recommend it 100% - it's not just Trump who's incompetent and unqualified, it's almost all the rest who've surrounded him, including his idiot son in law...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:19 pm 
Site Admin

niemeyjt wrote:
But that does not give an unelected elite the right to try to overthrow him.

I agree, lets wait until after full scale nuclear war to draw conclusions before we listen to anyone with proper clinical expertise suggesting he may be in some way medically incapable of carrying out the proper duties of his office.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:39 pm 

The term 'unelected elite' gets bandied around quite a bit, but I don't know who or what it refers to. Surely if Trump is impeached it will be the elected representatives of the senate and house of representatives that will do it? If he gets sectioned under the mental health act it will be two doctors and a social worker. :-x

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:54 pm 

lindal1000 wrote:
The term 'unelected elite' gets bandied around quite a bit, but I don't know who or what it refers to. Surely if Trump is impeached it will be the elected representatives of the senate and house of representatives that will do it? If he gets sectioned under the mental health act it will be two doctors and a social worker. :-x

Of course. But they cannot just do it - there has to be a just cause - and that is where this book and subsequent events come into play.

However, when it does come to votes in the Senate etc, I wonder how many have their own "pay to play" schemes to protect from attempts to "drain the swamp".

But as for unelected elites perverting the course of justice - watch whether Comey, Lynch and co get their comeuppance.

As I say, phase 1 "Russian Collusion" has just about died a death now (in fact the Democrats are now implicated). This is the start of phase 2.

And to pick on Andrew's point - let's hope that nuking North Korea does not come about as a distraction tactic.

J

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:27 pm 

You don't need to the book, worry about conspiracy theories etc to see that Trump is unfit for office. You just have to read his own twitter feed for that, or listen to his 'speeches' or see how he has surrounded himself with his family. The fact that book is so believable is because he already does those things in public. It doesn't matter that he was 'elected'.. he should never have got that far.

What makes you think the Russian collusion has died a death? Just because other events have superseded it doesn't mean it's finished. I can believe that Russian influence has penetrated all parties. Their aim is to destabilize not to take over and they don't mind which 'side' they wind up. Be it the Democrats, the republicans, momentum, Ukip, FN..it's all the same to them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:27 pm 

Trump is not the first to have communication problems - a previous president gave his name to such mis-speaks - "Bushisms".

Nor is he the first to appoint family to key positions - JFK did the same for his Attourney General.

As I have said before, how out of a nation of 280 million the US Presidential Election came down to two such deplorable candidates is beyond belief. But it did.

As for the collusion - the leads have never pointed at Trump himself, none of his family seem to have been implicated in improper behaviours, and the leads with the likes of Fusion GPS now appear to be pointing in the other direction.

Of course attention is now focussing on other events - the US Justice System is politically biased and it has taken time to remove Obama's lackeys. Doubtless in three / seven year's time removing Trump's lackeys will be a similar problem for his successor.

J

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:09 pm 

This is more than just a couple of made up words. It's complete gibberish for all to see and hear. It's true that other presidents have had mental health problems. Ronald Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 5 years after he left the presidency but the signs were there at the end, and others have had depression. The question is are Trump's problems severe enough to mean he lacks capacity. Without a proper evaluation it's hard to know, but an seemingly inability to read a complete sentence, his repetitions, which we can all see, his outbursts... are all very worrying.
If the book is untrue he can sue. I'm surprised he hasn't threatened it..but then witnesses might have to be called and you can't buy them all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:02 pm 

In which case a psychologist, not a discredited author, should be investigating.

I see Bannon is back-pedalling hard now - so maybe Trump will sue. And after what Hulk Hogan did to Gawker it could be very expensive for Michael Wolff and his publisher.

J

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:43 pm 
Site Admin

No doubt Wolff and his publisher will make a buck or two with sales - they'll need to !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:42 am 
Site Admin

lindal1000 wrote:
This is more than just a couple of made up words. It's complete gibberish for all to see and hear. It's true that other presidents have had mental health problems. Ronald Reagan was diagnosed with Alzheimer's 5 years after he left the presidency but the signs were there at the end, and others have had depression. The question is are Trump's problems severe enough to mean he lacks capacity. Without a proper evaluation it's hard to know, but an seemingly inability to read a complete sentence, his repetitions, which we can all see, his outbursts... are all very worrying.
If the book is untrue he can sue. I'm surprised he hasn't threatened it..but then witnesses might have to be called and you can't buy them all.

Very true. But you can threaten and frighten people off. Bannon suddenly seems to have changed his tune.

I don't need to read the book to know that Trump is unhinged. Maybe not all his fault when you look at his upbringing and his awful father. What an example to follow! That said, he manages to have the whole world on edge. Phase 3, which is already ongoing, is his part in the ever increasing sexual abuse cases. It will land at his door again.

As an aside, from a personality point of view, is his presence in the White House the first without any pet animals? That speaks for itself as far as I'm concerned. Animals are great assessors of personalities! :-

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:44 am 

The sexual abuse came out during the elections - for phase 3 - let's just say he should avoid grassy knolls and book depositories.

For all you cheapskates who begrudge buying the book and contributing to Michael's legal bills . . . https://t.co/sf7vj4IYAx
(you may have to be patient if you wish to download it)

For those who have a life and want to download it to read at leisure, if you print in Google Drive you have the option to save it as a PDF.

J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:25 am 

niemeyjt wrote:
In which case a psychologist, not a discredited author, should be investigating.

I see Bannon is back-pedalling hard now - so maybe Trump will sue. And after what Hulk Hogan did to Gawker it could be very expensive for Michael Wolff and his publisher.

J

Has Wolff published a Trump sex tape (shudder)?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:40 am 

FredM wrote:
Has Wolff published a Trump sex tape (shudder)?

No, Youtube did that for him.

The point is that settlements in US Courts are crazy high - Gawker ended up settling $31M (original award was $140M) for breach of privacy (the sex tape) and it wiped them out.

What award Trump might get remains to be seen - but if you look at the Gill case he was hit for $275M for defamation - nearly double Gawker. That's a lot of books to have to sell to cover that!

J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:02 am 

It's highly unlikely Trump will sue, given the nature of US libel laws. Gill was a special case in being very clearly malicious and defamatory. However, the main reason it would be very dangerous for Trump to sue is the rule about "reciprocal discovery".

The Hogan case was about invasion of privacy, not libel, the publishing of a private sex tape. I loved the judgement in this case, which included the words "[...] 30 minute sex tape, which included 10 seconds of explicit sexual activity". No wonder Hogan was miffed!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:07 am 

It will be one to watch. Trump might argue the book is malicious and defamatory, not to mention a breach of privacy.

However I suspect it will all be overtaken by events and a forthcoming second special council investigation into the Clintons, FBI, Uranium 1 etc etc - about which we will doubtless by inflicted with a torrent of tweets.

J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:41 am 

It seems Trump is looking to kill off the possibility of Amendment 25 - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01 ... ns-health/

Will it work?

J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:38 am 

niemeyjt wrote:

I
J

Here you go then
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ychiatrist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:12 pm 

lindal1000 wrote:

Leaving aside the Goldwater issue, the article discusses "dangerousness". Is this really a psychological condition?

Have a look at this.

Symptoms of Antisocial Personality Disorder
Antisocial personality disorder is diagnosed when a person’s pattern of antisocial behavior has occurred since age 15 (although only adults 18 years or older can be diagnosed with this disorder) and consists of the majority of these symptoms:

Failure to conform to social norms with respect to lawful behaviors as indicated by repeatedly performing acts that are grounds for arrest.
Deceitfulness, as indicated by repeated lying, use of aliases, or conning others for personal profit or pleasure.
Impulsivity or failure to plan ahead.
Irritability and aggressiveness, as indicated by repeated physical fights or assaults.
Reckless disregard for safety of self or others.
Consistent irresponsibility, as indicated by repeated failure to sustain consistent work behavior or honor financial obligations.
Lack of remorse, as indicated by being indifferent to or rationalizing having hurt, mistreated, or stolen from another.

Seems a more suitable diagnosis than "dangerousness"

Interestingly, there are claims also that previous presidents (who were not removed from office) and other world leaders were also afflicted with the same.

But I would still rather hear it from a psychologist who examined and tested him.

J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 12:45 pm 
Site Admin

niemeyjt wrote:

"Discredited" enough to get an almost access all areas pass to the White House for almost a year? Or discredited because he writes stuff you wish would go away?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:10 pm 

AndrewRose wrote:
niemeyjt wrote:

"Discredited" enough to get an almost access all areas pass to the White House for almost a year? Or discredited because he writes stuff you wish would go away?

Neither. Discredited because of his previous "works" (and the raft of denials and backtracks with this one).

J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:12 pm 
Site Admin

niemeyjt wrote:
the raft of denials and backtracks with this one

All I'm seeing is Bannon squirming. Don't know where you're getting your fake news from.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 112 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next