It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:19 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Not bin lazy?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:12 pm 

This month, Nov., he challenge for the turners forum that I am on is a goblet and any materials go aslong as they are turned on a woodworking lathe and I decided to have a go at it with a goblet with an aluminium stem. All done on my lathe using wood turning tools and I am really pleased with it. The wood is the end of one of the branches that I cut from one of our platan trees that is poorly

After that I had a thought, yes I do and I was sat down so all was safe. I wondered if I could turn a pen from ply wood. French ply is utter rubbish, but I thought what the hell? It wasn't an easy task and I do believe it will be a one off!

I quite like the look of it and it looks almost transluscent when you turn it. Very art deco me-thinks?

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

Post subject: Re: Not bin lazy?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

They're real works of art, Jonzjob - beautiful !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:21 pm 

I also had a fit not long back after seeing a 'lazy susan' and decided that a go at one of them would keep me off the streets for a while? I was right and turning the 36 by 5/8" balls from ash was good practice? For what, I'm still working out? But I liked the result and it does get used too, so, result!!!

17" diameter and not too much to look at from the top

But 36 hand turned balls, no jig, just eye sight, has got to make me wonder what next?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:24 pm 

Thank you Blaze. I am in the very privelidged position to be able to what I love doing!

I also decided on what I was going to make for a Christmas pressie for our young next door neighbour. She is going to have a cherry wood bangle done in a Celtic knot. It was a pure experiment that I realy like the result. I ave not done anything ike this before. The cherry blank was cut across the width into 3 to make a ply wood of it to give extra strength. Turned and cut to the pattern that I had in mind.

well it finished up as this and I was quite chuffed with it

I just hope that it fits :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:41 am 

All very beautiful and very clever. I love the contrast of the wood and aluminium on the goblet, looks chic.

clare

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:02 am 

I can appreciate the work in the goblet (like the metal touch 8-) ) although I've never understood the purpose of a wooden goblet - do people really use them for drinking?

Now the pen!! that is something really clever. It looks really good, I can imagine a whole display of those in somewhere like BHV Paris. 8-) 8-) 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:52 am 
Lovely, Jonzjob :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:56 pm 

Not quite a goblet, but this wooden drinking bowl was made in about 1380 and now resides in the V & A musium, London. Made from maple which was the traditional wood for them.

I was asked to make a wooden goblet for a café owner in Carcassonne just a few months back and he uses it on a daily basis. It depends on the wood to a certain extent and how it is finished. I used celulose sanding seler and melamine lacqure for the safé owners and he shouldn't have any problems unless he puts it in the dishwasher. I don't think he will do that though :D This is it

This goblet holds nearly a pint. I made it years ago now. It is sealed with Plastic Coat and is quite safe to drink from.

I love doing the pyrography too. It was copied from a brthday card.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:19 pm 

Really beautiful work!

I just had another look at the first goblet and I reckon you should try and re photograph it. I don't think the photo does it justice.

Tell me to shut up :lol:

I'm a fellow artisan (metalworker)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:58 pm 

OK Skooby, shut up. But why have I to tell you that? It's a good idea and I will also change the photo I have in my woodturning forum challenge, which is a goblet this month :D

This better?

Something else I forgot is that you wouldn't drink much out of this one because there are several holoes in the bowl 8-} . The wood came off of the end of a poorly branch on one of our platan in the garden. I think that's why it looks so incredible! It stands 7 1/8" high..

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:15 pm 

Now that is impressive. The grain is really clear and the ali looks really sharp.

so it's a holy grail then!

;))

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:26 pm 

Really beautiful Jonzbob - well done :ymapplause:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:44 pm 

Beautiful goblet! I turn wood, and increasingly acrylic, but have never attempted aluminium! Most of my stuff gets sold at the local markets so I don't have too much time for anything really intricate, but I certainly admire others who do have the time and skill!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:47 pm 

Barry, the only plastic I have turned is some 50mm pipe to make some bits for a job I was doing and if acrylic is anything like that then I think I'll leave that bit up to you? :D

Turning the aluminium was quite different and it was a case of slowly, slowly and the swarf came off like ali wool. The stem started out as a piece cut off of a failed shaft for our pool floating cover, about 1 1/4" diameter. It was turned between centers mainly with a 3/8" spindle gouge. I suppose the thing that surprised me was that the gouge didn't need much sharpening doing it? None of this winding likkle handles with the lathe holding the gouge either. It was all done with hand held tools, as per wood turning :AR! Sanded down to 400 grit and brassoed..

The pen. It is quite different because when you turn it in your fingers the colours change and it looks almost transluscent. Very strange? I also had to sharpen my skew chisel about 3 times turning it. The adhesive is very abrasive and takes the edge off as it looks at it! I have also turned a couple of ply bowls. The second is 12" by 3 1/2" deep and I turned it because I forgot what a pig the first one was!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:03 pm 

I suddenly just remembered something...........;

I'm sure you are a very tidy worker, but just be careful because aluminium dust is super inflammable.

:o

That said,

Very nice use of aluminium 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:07 pm 

I didn't know that Scooby, but I do remember a mate who nearly lost his Morris Traveller when a twit in a garage tried to get a dint out of one of the rear aluminium door panels using a blow torch!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 11:22 pm 

The acrylic generally turns just like wood. It does require really sharp tools but I use it mainly for pens, so it is no real hardship to keep on sharpening the gouges and skew chisels. It is then finished with wet abrasives down to 12000 grit, which gives it a beautiful shine as the eye cannot see the very fine scratches produced at that grit. Finishing actually takes longer than the initial cutting. I imagine that it is a lot easier to work than the aluminium.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:32 pm 

I bin at it yet again. These are a couple of Krimble perssies for friends.

A lazy Susan and a pair of bud vases. The vases have glass inserts so cut flowers can be put in them. The inserts can be taken out for cleaning..

Hope they like them? I do like doing the pyro stuff. It is really satisfying to see it build.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:40 am 

Beautiful pieces, all of them.

I like the bud vases, I would be very happy to receive them as a Chrimbo pressie !

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 9:43 am 
They are lovely, Jonzjob.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 6:32 pm 

You are a true artist and I admire your work.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:13 pm 

Why thank you. I am lousy at drawing so all of the patterns are copied, but I do love to see the carbon copy almost come to life as the little bits get put into it.

The bud vases are the first I've done with the glass inserts. It is something I've wanted to do but hadn't seen the glass bits before. I think that a nice simple Celtic knot would have set them off even better, but they are wrapped and will be given to our neighbour tomorrow afternoon when we go round for 'tea', English style, French translation? We will be taking some English Christmas cake with us too..

It's strange to be called an artist when it doesn't refer to me with a beer glass in hand :D :D

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 7:46 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
Jon,

Have you ever tried metal spinning ?, just a thought, aluminium sheet is one of the metals I was thinking about, copper work hardens, and could need to be annealed if worked too much, to give it malleability again

There is plenty on the 'net about metal spinning

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 8:11 pm 

Spinning metal, other than the VERY occasional goblet stem above would take a totally different set of kit and I love turning wood because you hold the tools you are using and it you eye and touch rather than winding little winders and the cutting tools clamped to the lathe. It seems to be one removed to me.

I would not for one minute take anything from metal turners, it is just a totally different dicscipline..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:41 pm 

Well I had some time on my hands? So I bin back in my workshop again the other day to finish a couple of bits. This is one of them, I didn't make the clock bit :D , it is 2 3/4"diameter to give an idea of the size.

The Small spindles are 1/8" diameter and aren't as difficult as they seem to turn. Before I sealed and laquered it I did a dry assembly

Now it has been sanding sealed which gives it a finish like silk and then melamine laquer and buffed and assembled. It can either stand on its own

or hang on the wall

Good ere init :-bd

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:10 pm 

It's lovely. :) :-bd

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:18 pm 

The woodwork forum I am on certainly keeps me thinking! They are running a monthly challenge where you have to make a specific item each month. This is the second year of it and it has been a challenge in lots of ways! This month the item is a suspended/supported ball. Almost anything goes as long as it's all turned wood and the ball doesn't touch the base! Good game, good game!

I couldn't get into my workshop during the cold snap so had to get going and I finished up with this. The ball is cedar, chain French cherry and the base/crescent beech, form the fire wood pile! with the tiny balls done in ash, it's s a bit stronger..

Good fun and it looks nice on our mantle!! For the quick ones, yes there are 3 rings in the chain as I decided that it could then be either in the middle or near the bottom of the crescent

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:35 pm 

I was asked if I could burn a cat and as I'm not too keen on them I thought it was a good idea :YMDEVIL:

One burnt cat. The wood is beech from the firewood pile and was so wet that I got a shower when I turned it.

I have to put some stuff called hard wax oil on it now to seal and protect the wood, buff it and done.

Not quite as nice as I would have wished, but the photo I was given to work from was very dark and wasn't the best.

I love the way that the grain fits in with the cats chest..

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:35 pm 

Back in my workshop after loads of time not possible. Holidaze don't arf get in the way init??

I was going to make this for my sis-in-law, but she doesn't wear dangly earings. So I decided to make it anyway and it will go into our local wine producers' cave with some other bits I have there. The grain turned out really good and at one point I kept thinking there was a tool mark on the upper part, but it's the way the grain is running..

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:43 pm 

If you have an old English oak TV cabinet given to you it's surprising just what it hides! I cut some bits off of it and turned the little uprights,

then spun the top ring and base and after some careful drilling so the bits went together

I finished up with these

I love the grain on the wood and it takes such a lovely polish. I don't think that I will ever get fed up with working with wood. It tells me just what it wants to be like and if I try to vary that it bites back. I curse at it but then do as it wishes. Sounds stupid, but until you have been told by it you will never know?? I love it!!

Edit : - Silly me :ymblushing: :ymblushing: I forgot to say that they are wine bottle stands, so that your bottle of lovely, but not expensive, bottle of wine can look even better on the table B-) B-)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:31 pm 

I made and gave another bobbin rack to a friend the other day. She was quite chuffed with it Then a good friend gave us a porcelain leaf for our 5th wed anniversary. That's what you get for 20 years of obeying SWMBO ???

I really liked the leaf and thought that one would look nice in wood. I sorted out a lump of leylandii and started. This is what was in there

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:22 pm 
Site Admin

You are clever, Johnzjob, and so imaginative. Your work is really beautiful and a pleasure to see ! Bravo !

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:00 pm 

Jonzjob wrote:
I made and gave another bobbin rack to a friend the other day. She was quite chuffed with it Then a good friend gave us a porcelain leaf for our 5th wed anniversary. That's what you get for 20 years of obeying SWMBO ???

I really liked the leaf and thought that one would look nice in wood. I sorted out a lump of leylandii and started. This is what was in there

I've always preferred ceramics to wood but your work is absolutely beautiful-inspiring! ^:)^

I.C.U...............Jimmy........20/20 vision.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:39 pm 

Thank you both.

I love just seeing what is inside a lump of not very nice looking wood. We have a leylandii hedge on 2 sides of our garden that has got too big to be supported by the soil and is dying. Some up to about 10" diameter. I tried a piece a couple of years back and discovered a beautiful secret hidden in it> So much has been cut down to a couple of foot high and the stumps are drying nicely now. So who knows what else is hidden there??

Just an example. This is a bit of Russian olive, not a true olive and a pain in that it has the most evil spines and grows so quickly. This got poorly and died. It took my imagination

and one of these came out of it

I don't know who was more surprised!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:33 pm 

You don’t know who was more surprised? what you or the wood.
Once again you are an artist of exception.
Do you take commissions?