It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:58 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Vivaldi recomposed
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:03 pm 
Site Admin

Quite a while back, OH and I saw/heard a completely different version of Vivaldi's Four Seasons on Arte. Neither of us was sure at first whether we liked it or not, but as we continued to listen, we decided that we did like it.
Unfortunately we couldn't find out who was playing ..... we only knew it was in Germany, possibly by a German orchestra.

So today I had the bright idea of doing a search in German ..... and came up trumps. It was Daniel Hope playing Max Richter's recomposed 4 Seasons. Max Richter felt that the 4 Seasons had always been played in the same way and wanted to present something different. Some of it may sound unfamiliar and may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I found it refreshingly different. All too often it is predictable and usually played too fast.

Andrew - what is your opinion of it (I'm sure you've heard it !) ?

Post subject: Re: Vivaldi recomposed
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

I hadn't come across it - thankfully! Not my cup of tea I'm afraid.

My friend Jed Distler, a New York based composer and performer, has perhaps done more interesting things "recomposing" other works (on Spotify here) - though I'm not really sure this kind of thing ever needs to be done - but which is perhaps why Gramophone asked him to review this. (He refers to his own efforts as throwing away the good bits and leaving the dross, or something like that!) I can only say he puts my thoughts on it much better than I could:

Jed Distler wrote:
Richter reimagines Vivaldi’s ubiquitous concerto cycle Composers throughout history have revamped and updated earlier masterpieces in their own image. Here we have Max Richter’s recomposed version of Vivaldi’s The Four Seasons, which basically welds the original’s rhythmic and melodic patterns on to tediously repeating pop music or post-minimalist chord progressions. One can imagine most of Spring’s third movement having been put together on a computer via cutting and pasting, save for the heavier orchestration towards the end. Richter’s recomposed central movement for Winter reduces Vivaldi’s dancing lilt to wispy solo violin fragments over a bed of high-lying sustained strings. Autumn’s familiar first movement is subjected to witless rhythmic displacements that do little to illuminate or enhance the original text.

Violin soloist Daniel Hope and the Berlin Konzerthaus Chamber Orchestra turn in spotless performances of what amounts to a pleasant-sounding yet essentially faceless deconstruction of The Four Seasons, and one assumes that they’ve been well compensated for their efforts. Surely the considerable press and attention Richter has garnered hitching himself to Vivaldi’s bandwagon will reap profits aplenty before the novelty wears off.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:40 pm 

It may be blasphemy but I quite like this rendition

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:52 pm 
Site Admin

Reminds me of The Nice and their version of America !! If it gets people interested in classical music, why not !

People enjoyed writing variations on Paganini's Caprice No. 24 !

It's all in the ear of the listener : I have never enjoyed opera though I appreciate the work that goes into a production. My introduction to Glyndebourne was Peléas & Melisande with music composed by Schoenberg. The setting and costumes were unbelievably dreary so it was all pretty disastrous.