It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: The apple eater!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 2:45 pm 

We have a lovely little visitor at the moment. She's a Mrs Black cap and at the moment she is eating her own weight in apples every day by the looks of it!! She is the only one eating the apples we put out. All the others are munching them off of the apple tree..

So far she has got through almost 2 1/2 apples in the past week! How she can fly only she knows?

The garden is full of birds at the moment and we are spending a fortune on seed. We gave up buying 5 kilo bags and now get the 20 k jobbies. Saves on fuel getting the smaller ones! They are worth every penny though

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

Post subject: Re: The apple eater!!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 3:13 pm 
Site Admin

What a little beauty, Jonzjob ! We too are spending a fortune on seed, but we've been rewarded with one or two birds we haven't seen here before. The majority of them are Great Tits and Blue Tits with a few Gold and greenfinches. No siskins which were a-plenty last year.

I'll put out an apple and see what happens !

I found some 10kg bags of sunflower seeds but they've stopped selling them : "it's the end of the season, madame ... " :(. Someone should try telling the birds that !! Next winter I'll have a good look round and stock up on large bags.
I agree, Jonzjob - worth every penny.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:27 pm 

I usually cut a slice of the skin off in a couple of places or it's very difficult for them t get at the flesh.

We used to just cut an apple in 1/2 and put it on the wall, but they kept on falling off, so I drilled a couple of small holes in a piece of wood, split down a couple of bamboo spikes and the apples are spiked on those. Works a treat.

One of our favourites is a Sardinian warbler. He is just beautiful! ! Lots of goldfinches, 4 or 5 robins fighting all over the place now, same with black birds too and boat loads of perishing collared doves. they have got to be the most stupid birds out and their 'song' is second only to the hoophoo, but at least they are beautiful.

A few of these too

While I am at it

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:44 pm 
Love the photos, some of them are so brave arn't they? We only put sunflower seeds and fat balls out for all of ours. They always chucked out all the seeds to get to them anyway. Its swarming out there this year and if they run out at midday they are prancing along the window sills and knocking on the windows. One little blue tit smacked into the window yesterday and I picked him up, gave him a stroke and he flew off again shortly afterwards thankfully.
They love the dogs' bones too they are often head down, tail up , almost fully in searching for marrow. No fear of the great lolloping beast a few paces away who just watches them with interest. He never bothers them though.
I wait till all our surplus apples [our neighbour gives us loads too when she goes scrumping] go brown, squidge them a bit and pop them out on the lawn. Our ducks love them too and there is usually a stampede when they are spotted. :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:55 pm 
Site Admin

How wonderful to have such tame birds. Unfortunately our two wolves frighten them away. However, when I'm topping up the feeders, there's always a great deal of twittering and flurrying of wings as they wait impatiently for me to go !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:24 pm 

Not really tame Blaze. They were recovering after flying into our BIG windows. It was lovely to see them fly off afterwards. Some didn't unfortunately. A bit of warmth from my hands helps them I think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:57 pm 

Not so much an apple eater, a meat eater looking for dinns :shock: [:-))] and it was on the hedge just outside our lounge window!!

Trying to flush out some of the sparrows hiding in the hedge! Well, it is a sparrow hawk init

And finally down to the other side of the hedge

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

It looks like a kestrel ! We had a couple turn up and inspect an old crow's nest in one of our oaks. Sadly they decided it wasn't up to scratch and only stayed for a day :(

I've been putting apple halves in the fat ball feeder and they've gone down a wow with the tits !!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:25 pm 

About 3 or 4 times the size of a kestrel Blaze !! And it managed to flush one of the sparrows out, but it vanished around the corner of the house so no idea what happened?

Definitely a sparrow hawk! and not the first time, unless a kestrel can down and then fly off with a ring neck dove???

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:19 pm 
Site Admin

Whoops ! But there was nothing to show the scale :lol: :lol: Wonderful sight !!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:59 am 

Wow! amazing!
'The birdman'
Love the Robins, they have such a lovely song
The RSPB now says it's cool to give seeds all year round. We have sparrow-proofed our bird feeders with nylon filament and it really works.
I just wish I could cat proof our garden - good target practice for the slingshots though ;))

We have a hawk around here too but not managed to get a picture of it yet. we also have a big green woodpecker which is unusual seing as we are 400 meters from the sea.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 9:17 am 

Cats :ymsick: We get them in the garden too, BUT they are very careful! and did you know that a cat, given the incentive can accelerate from 0 to about 60mph in about 1/4 of a second? Normally the incentive is a stone going past it about a foot away because I have got a good catapult and I am normally quite a good shot :YMDEVIL: :YMDEVIL: :YMDEVIL:

But the other anti cat defence we have is some of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007 ... ge_o06_s00. They seem to work quite well too. I have always worked on he principle that we don't encourage and feed the lovely birds in the garden to feed the neighbours cats! And when we had a dog we didn't let it use the neighbours gardens as her toilet either. So why should other peoples animals use ours!!!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Fortunately cats aren't a problem here so I can leave grains on the ground as well. We don't have many sparrers either - but an enormous number of Great Tits and Blue Tits. Loads of buzzards but they don't come close to the house. They love to sit on the fence posts in the paddocks, looking out for field mice.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:15 am 

Jonzjob wrote:
Cats :ymsick: We get them in the garden too, BUT they are very careful! and did you know that a cat, given the incentive can accelerate from 0 to about 60mph in about 1/4 of a second? Normally the incentive is a stone going past it about a foot away because I have got a good catapult and I am normally quite a good shot :YMDEVIL: :YMDEVIL: :YMDEVIL:

:lol:

We have loads of greenfinches this year but they hog the feeders too. The little chaffinches just hop around under the feeder catching all the seeds the greenfinches chuck out.