It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Speaking French when you're ill
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:44 am 
Site Admin

Trying desperately to get over a lurgy that seems to be dragging on and on and on. One thing I've noticed when out and about (feeling a bit weary and light headed due to the illness), that I seem to be able to converse better in French.

I know my level of French speaking is fairly reasonable, but it sort of depends on who I'm speaking to, the subject, and the weather!

But while in this slight state of surrealness, I seem to sound more fluent. Is it my imagination, or maybe the illness makes me more relaxed, so I don't try to rush my words? Or, that my brain is functioning slightly differently? Or I'm just delirious and don't give a ....? :lol:

'Tis certainly curious!

Post subject: Re: Speaking French when you're ill
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:35 am 
Site Admin

You probably know more French than you think you do ! It may be that your subconscious knowledge comes out when you are not quite all there !

A few years ago, I asked the nurses in recovery to tell me what language my first words were after an op - the answer was French \:D/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:25 pm 

Blaze wrote:
A few years ago, I asked the nurses in recovery to tell me what language my first words were after an op - the answer was French \:D/

In the olden days, when I was allowed to give blood in Paris, they took it whilst seated in a chair not lying down (like everywhere else I have given it).

Anyway, it was also the only time I fainted giving blood - and when I came round speaking French. Maybe in subconscious I realised where I was before coming round?

Oh - and get well soon Bayleaf.

J

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:05 pm 

Qui, bonne chance Bayleaf.
When I have been in hospital it's always very confusing when Dr or surgeon speaks English to me, my brain just can't get it, prefer they spoke french, only time I had a problem was in 2010 when I had a hernia fixed, I asked the next morning could I go home to be told "only if you have farted" couldn't understand the french word so he said it in english with a great grin.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:38 pm 
Site Admin

Someone once said it was best to be ill in your own language (or something like that !).

I belong to an association of bénévole interpreters in Saint-Malo : if you are foreign and hospitalised, it can be a huge relief to talk to someone not only in your own language, but someone of your own culture. We have over 20 different languages amongst us and we can be called upon at any time of day or night by the hospital for any sort of intervention. Many people expect doctors and medical staff to speak English but I have rarely come across anyone who does !
I'm not sure that this sort of association exists anywhere else in France, but we've never heard of another quite like it, and it's such a brilliant idea. It's the more unusual languages that can be so vital ...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:05 pm 

Talking French to our local Doc no problem, translating for same, again no problem.

BUT

The 'phone rings and they might as well be speaking Mandarin Chinese! all of a sudden I am struck almost dumb!

WHY???

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:05 pm 

Provost wrote:
Talking French to our local Doc no problem, translating for same, again no problem.

BUT

The 'phone rings and they might as well be speaking Mandarin Chinese! all of a sudden I am struck almost dumb!

WHY???

When I first settled in France I was told that the phone will be the longest to handle, after 30 years I still have to ask people to talk slower on the phone.
All else no probs, as said I prefer French to speak French .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:05 pm 
Site Admin

It's probably got something to do with not being able to see the person you're talking to.
Some people are awful on the phone, whatever language they are speaking - they mumble and if that's coupled with a bad line, or a call from a mobile, it's not easy.
Some people put their phone on hands free and it's like talking to someone at the other end of a drainpipe :(

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:00 pm 

There is also a complete lack of visual clues when talking on the telephone.

Regarding talking your best French when not at your best, I recall long, long ago an evening discussion with Belgian cavers in the Vercors over several beers when my understanding and their understanding of what I was trying to say was the best for many years - or maybe it just seemed like that.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:46 pm 

Yes I think the lack of visual feedback is a factor.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:57 am 

Phones again, my bugbear, I hate it when I have to answer an unknown call (because it might be one I want to hear) and some person starts off on a rapid spiel.

I am still totally amazed that I survived 3 years of taking instruction for reloads on the cabphone of my lorry. And in all that time I only got it wrong once I think, and that was partly the freteur's fault for trying to give directions instead of just a postcode.

Nevertheless I was relieved when they picked me to be the guinea pig for GPS coms with a screen in the cab as big as a laptop with all my addresses clearly printed out. Didn't last long though as the flaming thing was so heavy that it ripped out a chunk of dash as it tumbled to the floor. The wire didn't break so I could still read it. 8-|

I think the reason they picked me for the trial was because of my habit of always asking for things to be spelled to me. I chuckled to hear the fret's despairing sigh just before he switched off each time. :lol:

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals