It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Jared O'Mara
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:01 pm 

The Labour MP for Sheffield Hallam (who unseated Nick Clegg at the election) has resigned from the Commons equalities committee and apologised for homophobic and misogynistic remarks he made online in 2002 and 2004. Apparently he offered to take part in an orgy with the group "Girls Aloud" and claimed singer Michelle McManus only won Pop Idol "because she was fat" and said it would be funny if jazz star Jamie Cullum was "sodomised with his own piano". He is now 36 years old and would have been 21 and 23 at the time the remarks were made.

Is there a time after which youthful indiscretions can be forgotten, or is a person forever to be judged by them?

Post subject: Re: Jared O'Mara
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:04 pm 

Normally I would say it was an indiscretion of youth and forget it.

However, were the boot on the other foot I suspect the faux outrage from the lefties would be deafening.

J

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:08 pm 
Site Admin

I'm not sure I'd even call it an indiscretion of youth - just youthful exuberance and lacking in tact. If he was suitably chastised at the time, why bring it up again ?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:40 pm 

It would seem that there have been some 'recent' mouthing off problems.

They may or not be true, he is facing the inquiry.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:10 pm 

At the time that I originally posted this I was aware that there were further allegations of more recent statements by Mr O'Mara, but I didn't mention them because I thought the wider point more interesting. I think that the original question has a much wider application. If a youthful indescretion is never to be forgiven, then I wonder if anyone other than the most boring monomaniac would ever be deemed fit to hold a public office. Do we really want people who have never made a mistake to rule us? Or, more worryingly, if public feelings change rapidly, then if someone said something that was acceptable at the time, but 20 years later is deemed unacceptable, should they be barred from office? Even a couple of years ago it might have been OK to have said that there were only 2 genders, and if you were born with xx or xy chromosomes then you were female, or male respectively, however you felt. I can imagine that now there would be quite a few universities that would establish a "safe space" to protect students from such a thought.

So, do we allow for youthful indescretion, or do we say that by the time you are 16, or 20 (or whatever age is appropriate) you have made your bed and must lie in it forever?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:09 am 
Site Admin

People are judged today in the press and social media often before the facts are known and before they have a chance to defend themselves. Unfortunately mud sticks and some smart arse will always enjoy bringing up a youthful misdemeanour to discredit someone years later.

There is a rather sickening attitude of self-righteousness today which probably comes from across the Atlantic. Name-calling would at one time have been dealt with by a real or metaphorical clip round the ear. But now people like to be seen to be politically correct and will sanction the slightest thing. Are they in fact doing this for their own enhancement ?

Elstow wrote:
So, do we allow for youthful indescretion, or do we say that by the time you are 16, or 20 (or whatever age is appropriate) you have made your bed and must lie in it forever?

The answer to that is surely "No". Indiscretions made as youngsters are often part of a learning curve, provided lessons are learned from them. They should be accepted as such and not resurrected years later to smear and discredit.