It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:09 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Peppa Pig and the sausages
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:51 pm 

Its been a while since we had a debating topic, and I, for one, am getting bored, so when I saw this item I thought it might provoke some thoughts.

Animal rights campaigners are urging the management of the Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury to take pork off its menu during the staging of the children's show Peppa Pig. People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) made the appeal after discovering ham sandwiches and sausages may be served when the production comes to Canterbury on February 13 and 14.

"Many of the young children who will cheer for Peppa would be horrified to learn that sausages are made from pigs like her," says Peta UK director Elisa Allen. "Peppa shows others that she's not a piece of bacon or a ham sandwich but rather an individual with emotions and the ability to feel joy. What better way to honour the live show's message than by serving vegan meals?"

The theatre's director said it would not be taking pork products off the menu: "We respect Peta's point of view but we can't get ourselves tied up in knots with different things in our programme and how that might be reflected in the menu...It's about individual choice and we already offer good vegetarian options. What we want to do is give customers what they want otherwise we wouldn't be operating commercially." She also added that (contrary to the impression given by PETA that the pork served in the theatre was factory farmed) "All our meat is supplied locally and responsibly from the Butcher of Brogdale and I believe is free range." http://www.kentonline.co.uk/canterbury/news/theatre-urged-to-ditch-pork-159825/

Maybe PETA have a point here. After all, some children might be upset to learn that their sausages are not made from plants, and children need to be protected from harmful knowledge like this. Maybe we should extend the principle. No lamb should be served whenever Shaun the Sheep is on TV. No fish and chips after Finding Nemo, and no Findus lasagna when Black Beauty is shown.

And why stop at food. Ban handkerchiefs amongst the audience during Othello. Look at the trouble Desdemona got into when Othello's snot rag went missing. Don't go near estate agents after Glengarry Glen Ross and ban Lord of the Rings (its not upsetting as such, its just rubbish).

What do we think?

Post subject: Re: Peppa Pig and the sausages
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
Well I must have been a cruel bastard when bringing up my kids, the way I did, because I told my kids from the day we had an animal, that we were going to eat it one day, but whilst we were looking after it/them, they had to be treated kindly

My eldest son then aged about 31/2 used to say to the pig, I'm going to eat you one day, and when he accompanied me to the slaughter house with the pig, he said, "cut her head off, cut her legs off" I'm going to eat her", but at about the same time, or maybe a little earlier, a goat kid caught a "branch" in her collar and got strangled, he said get some cotton wool to make her better, when he saw her dead

So my reply to peta, is keep your nose out of it, it is of no concern to you lot

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:32 pm 
Site Admin

I agree with you, Elstow - it sounds like the nanny brigade again, trying to shield children from real life. So much easier to have them believe that pork or ham come from plastic packets in a supermarket. Those children probably believe milk comes from cardboard cartons. Don't today's parents explain to their children here their food comes from ?

I don't see that replacing ham sandwiches and the like with vegan or vegetarian food has anything to do with protecting animal rights or ethical treatment of animals. It smacks of yet another ploy by certain groups to push non-meat products.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:01 pm 

I think all this PC stuff is bollocks.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:09 pm 

When I was too young to go to school my Mum would take me shopping with her. This included a trip to the butchers. I still remember the pig carcasses hanging up, and the butcher telling to pull the tail, at which he would make an oinking noise. I found that really funny, and I'm having pork chops tonight, about 56 years later. Was I so much more robust than the children of today, or is it that people who complain on behalf of other people make assumptions without ever bothering to ask?

I was really amused by the line: "Peppa shows others that she's not a piece of bacon or a ham sandwich but rather an individual with emotions and the ability to feel joy." Firstly, the cartoon version looks about as much like a pig as Sooty looks like a grisly. If a child honestly is upset at the idea of eating Peppa, then show it the real thing. They'll soon notice the difference. Secondly, Peppa isn't real. She does not, therefore have emotions or the ability to feel joy and if she did, those emotions or feelings could not be indicative of how a real pig actually feels. You might as well argue that The Wind in the Willows shows that Toads can drive (badly), Badgers wear slippers and that water voles are expert oarsmen.

If Peta want to argue that we should not eat meat, then fine. That is an argument that they are perfectly at liberty to make. But to promote your ideas in this way simply makes you look barmy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:46 pm 

I've never been able to get over the fact that Peppa looks like a lunchbox with eyes and legs.

There may be something slightly sinister about that - or is it just me?

I think kids are quite able to handle the fact that we kill animals for meat, and from an early age.

Our daughter was about two when I bought a live turkey for Christmas. She saw it alive just after I got it, and later, hanging up after I had killed and plucked it. At some time or another I told her it was going to be a nice dinner.

A short time later we visited a small local zoo. The turkey must have looked pretty big to her, because she noticed an ostrich, marched up to its cage, looked up at its head way above her, and said "Nice dinner".

Years later, when the kids were about 6 and 8, I was about to behead one of our ducks on the block in the garden, when I happened to look up to see a row of small heads at the window in front of me. They had invited half the kids on the street to come and watch the event.

I chased them all off, and no doubt avoided a string of irate parents attacking me for corrupting their children.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:15 pm 

I don't think it is anything to do with political correctness but more to do with the rise of all things militant. I have some friends that have been life long vegetarians, now vegans and very political about it. They are actively campaigning to end the consumption of animal products. To me they seem pretty extreme, although I was a veggie myself for a long time and understand their perspective. It's only those groups that are campaigning to increase awareness of , in their view, the cruelty of eating animals. I would not lump it together with political correctness.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:30 pm 

MAD87 wrote:

I agree, let the kids eat pork sausages and let PETA eat bollocks

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:45 pm 
Site Admin

:lol:

Children are often more resilient than we give them credit for and seem to accept the truth about life and death from a young age.
I was brought up with animals and worked on a farm - none of the children that came to visit had any problems with the fact that the lambs and calves would end up on someone's plate.

There was an item on the BBC website where apparently farmers were being sent death threats by vegan activists.
http://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-42860384/farmers-sent-death-threats-by-vegan-activists

Do extremists really believe they will help their cause with this sort of behaviour ? Trying to force their beliefs on others is no better than trying to force one's religion on others. Where is the logic in saying that eating meat is an act of cruelty ?
As for using children to further their cause .....

And I can't stand Peppa pig - we sometimes stay at the Holiday Inn near Fareham where we have sometimes had the dubious pleasure of PP's presence at breakfast. I can't imagine sausages and bacon being removed from the menu there !

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 7:55 pm 

I'm not against any of these weirdoes, if thats the way they want to live same as religious ones, but when they try to push their ideas down my throat thats when i get very angry.
As already said here theres to much pc, its getting that one is inclined to shut ones self away and let the rest of the world destroy itself one way or another
Loonies of the world unite and some times the way things are going I feel the looniest, being a normal homo sapien.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:54 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
thelastoneout wrote:
MAD87 wrote:

I agree, let the kids eat pork sausages and let PETA eat bollocks

Goats ones are very nice to eat, finely sliced fried in a little butter, served on toast :lol: :YMDEVIL:

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:04 pm 

I have this discussion often with my vegan friend. It puts my back up when they become very militant and I don't think it helps their cause..putting off as many people as they might convert..However she is quite adamant that she is right to be confrontative. We are still friends but we disagree on this.

As I try and eat more healthily I have significantly reduced the amount of meat and diary products I eat and I feel much better (and lighter) and if everyone did that a bit less animals would be killed..That's the limit of my vegetarianism and making a big issue about ham sandwiches does nothing. No one forces people to eat ham sandwiches or sausages if they don't want to. I don't think children or adults should be protected from the reality of the slaughterhouse. My motto has always been if I eat it I should be prepared to kill it.

Why do you think this is something to do with political correctness? I don't see the link..it is a smallish group of people promoting their own agenda. That's not political correctness to me.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:23 pm 

My step daughter is a vegetarian and her partner vegan but they are bringing up their two children to eat which ever they like.
They dont cook meat but the other grandparents do so for the kids when they want it.
A very sensible attitude.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:55 am 

When our daughter was about 5/6 her favorite toy was "My Little Pony" she had loads of them, as we were caravaners we always brought some of them along, on one of our many trips to France I was barbecuing a nice bit of Cheval, she commented that she really liked it and could we have it again, after a few too many beers I told her what she had eaten :( she was not best pleased, she is now 33 and has still not forgiven me :(( . Children should learn were their food meat/fish/vegetables etc come from, as they grow up its up to them to decide what to eat. I don't have a problem with non meat eaters, I say that because most veggies will have leather shoes/ belts/ handbags/ seats etc all the by-products of us meat eaters :D . What really P**** me off is when they take illegal action against producers of meat and meat products in the name of vegetarianism :-x , if you don't want to eat meat that's fine, but don't try to stop those that want to eat meat. Another argument they keep banging on about is the amount of land that is used to grow grass for meat production, I have news for them the grass grows there because nothing else will. Long live Peppa Pig :@) :@) :@) a few months at least!!Spec

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:19 am 
Site Admin

Spec - it's vegans who don't eat meat, dairy products or use animal by-products (though I have seen some wearing leather shoes ...). Vegetarians generally don't eat meat and some don't eat fish either but have no problem with the by-products like leather. I haven't eaten red meat or pork for about 30 years but am not a true vegetarian as I eat poultry and fish and wear leather shoes.

I dislike extremists and fanatics trying to push their cause onto others. I understand some of the points they are trying to make, but some go about making them in the wrong manner. But from experience, animal causes are always emotive .... Spardo, I'm sure you'll agree ;)

I don't see militant vegans protesting about some of the horrible practices in fish farming .... but it's easy to be selective ...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:17 pm 

Blaze wrote:
Spec - it's vegans who don't eat meat, dairy products or use animal by-products (though I have seen some wearing leather shoes ...). Vegetarians generally don't eat meat and some don't eat fish either but have no problem with the by-products like leather. I haven't eaten red meat or pork for about 30 years but am not a true vegetarian as I eat poultry and fish and wear leather shoes.

I dislike extremists and fanatics trying to push their cause onto others. I understand some of the points they are trying to make, but some go about making them in the wrong manner. But from experience, animal causes are always emotive .... Spardo, I'm sure you'll agree ;)

I don't see militant vegans protesting about some of the horrible practices in fish farming .... but it's easy to be selective ...

I agree with all that, and not just about the fish farming. When my son was vegetarian as a youngster he would eat fish. As his vegetarianism was based on moral not health grounds I pointed out to him that fish were killed far more inhumanely (suffocated) than cows etc. He then desisted but later, after marriage to an unapologetic carnivore, he gradually reformed his diet.

In this house now we seem to exist on a diet of chicken and pork, with lots of rice and pasta as well as vegetables. All thanks to the veto prescribed diet for our dog, who has a liver problem. Back to the animals, Blaze. :lol:

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:37 pm 
Site Admin

Blaze wrote:
Those children probably believe milk comes from cardboard cartons. Don't today's parents explain to their children here their food comes from ?

Maybe so - but that's because their parents and grandparents grew up thinking milk came in bottles...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:59 pm 
Site Admin

:lol: I hadn't thought of that !

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:54 pm 

Thanks Blaze I do know the difference between a vegetarian and a vegan, that's the point I'm trying to make, they wont eat the flesh but quite happy to wrap themselves in the skin of a dead animal, and as for poultry, depending where you buy it, they are the most abused and mistreated of all the food species that humans eat. I like a lot of vegetarian food I like it because of the taste, not because there is no meat in it. Nos

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:13 pm 

Apparently plants are more aware? than one would think!

https://www.pri.org/stories/2014-01-09/ ... out-plants

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:32 pm 
Site Admin

Spectrum2 wrote:
.... and as for poultry, depending where you buy it, they are the most abused and mistreated of all the food species that humans eat. I like a lot of vegetarian food I like it because of the taste, not because there is no meat in it. Nos

Sorry Spec, I wasn't meaning to sound facetious !
I agree about poultry and for that reason, we never buy any birds or eggs that have been anywhere near a battery farm. We don't have our own chooks here for various reasons ... There's plenty of good meat available round here from the many farms in the area and we have the advantage of knowing where it comes from and that includes lamb, porc and beef for OH.

I shudder when I hear a news item where thousands of birds have been killed because of a fire in a battery house. And on more than one occasion in the last few months, thousands of pigs crammed into battery sheds have burnt to death because no-one was on site to to anything about them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:56 pm 

Speaking of battery hens, a neighbour in Wiltshire came into the pub one dark evening looking worn out and very muddy. A lorry carrying point-of-lay pullets, which he reared, had fallen over in the lane from the farm. They had managed to get it upright again with a tractor, but many birds were killed. They had sent the lorry on its way, and piled the dead birds in a field until the next day.

Next day we saw him again. During the night someone had gone into the field and cut the legs off all the birds. He was wondering if there was any market for all the legless chickens he was left with.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:36 pm 

Who is peppa pig?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:53 pm 
Site Admin

(I googled it !)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:19 am 

I remember the article in the papers a lot of years back of a load of East End school children being given a trip up to Grimsby or one of the fishing ports up there. They visited a fish prep factory to learn that fish didn't really have fingers!

PETA? Does that translate, in Franglaise, to Pain en the Arse?

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:49 am 

RogerFox wrote:

Next day we saw him again. During the night someone had gone into the field and cut the legs off all the birds. He was wondering if there was any market for all the legless chickens he was left with.

Never heard of "Chinese fried chicken legs" a common dish in Asia :ymsick:

Dont worry Blaze its just discussion between adults ;) In the Uk we kept Chickens for meat and eggs we had a small orchard, in October we would get some week old turkey chicks, fatten them up for Christmas and the freezer, did you know the turkey eggs are very good for you, you don't see them for sale as they only lay one a week and they are kept for incubation to increase the flock size. Spec