It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Ched Evans
PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:24 pm 

One year on and nothing, it seems, has changed in the CPS and Police pursuit of innocent men to get the rape convictions up.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/15/student-l ... e-7161774/

The Police deliberately withheld 40,000 text messages, covering 2,400 pages that would have exonerated the defendant, and then lied to the lawyers saying the texts were "personal" and "not relevant". Luckily the prosecution lawyer seems to have been on the ball.

This is not a resourcing issue as the Police seem to be claiming in true CYA fashion. They had obtained the texts from her phone. They were printed out. All the work had been done. This was a straightforward case of Police lying to obtain a conviction.

Liam Allan faced 12 years in prison and a lifetime on the sex offenders register. His life would have been destroyed. This could happen to anyone's son.

Maybe what is now needed is for the Police and CPS to be held to account - whilst a tit-for-tat sentence of 12 years may be OTT, I think this constitutes a conspiracy to pervert the course of justice.

The Metroplitan Police and CPS are holding an "urgent review" (which could have been avoided in these cash strapped times had they been honest). Doubtless a Police Officer will be able to retire on ill health grounds and draw his pension.

I just hope my sons never get caught up in similar events.

J

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:34 pm 

I am trying to look for the good and honest in a world that seems devoid of so much these days.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:08 pm 

niemeyjt wrote:
One year on and nothing, it seems, has changed in the CPS and Police pursuit of innocent men to get the rape convictions up.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/12/15/student-l ... e-7161774/

I think that it is a bit harsh to blame the CPS for this one. It is the job of the police to go through the evidence and alert the defence to anything which may assist the defence case. Unfortunately, the CPS did not receive this information from the police until the trial was under way as did the defence. As the prosecuting QC said “It was the right thing to do,” [The messages] were not disclosed to anybody – not in unused, not sent to the CPS, not on caselines.” As reported to the Independent "The CPS said police provided more detail in Mr Allan’s case in November that was reviewed and meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. “Therefore we offered no evidence in the case against Liam Allan at a hearing on 14 December.”

I was rather surprised, though that anyone could have 40,000 texts on their phone. It must be quite daunting to be the disclosure officer in cases like that.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:24 am 

Elstow wrote:
I think that it is a bit harsh to blame the CPS for this one. It is the job of the police to go through the evidence and alert the defence to anything which may assist the defence case. Unfortunately, the CPS did not receive this information from the police until the trial was under way as did the defence. As the prosecuting QC said “It was the right thing to do,” [The messages] were not disclosed to anybody – not in unused, not sent to the CPS, not on caselines.” As reported to the Independent "The CPS said police provided more detail in Mr Allan’s case in November that was reviewed and meant there was no longer a realistic prospect of conviction. “Therefore we offered no evidence in the case against Liam Allan at a hearing on 14 December.”

I was rather surprised, though that anyone could have 40,000 texts on their phone. It must be quite daunting to be the disclosure officer in cases like that.

You are right - in that case it was more the Metropolitan Police trying to get the conviction rate up.

And, for the second time in a week, they have been caught doing it again. Same officer too, apparently.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/12 ... collapses/

There were warnings on Tuesday night that police were making basic errors in their desperation to improve conviction rates in sex abuse cases. Currently 11.2 per cent of rape allegations result in a conviction.

Improve conviction rates - surely this is not the Police's (or CPS's) job. They should present all the evidence and the jury should decide.

I find it very worrying that the Police can withhold evidence and the CPS can slow down videos to "improve conviction rates".

And the real problem is the backlash against this could have the opposite effects.

J

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:57 am 

I think that the other thing about the Liam Allan case that I have heard zero comment on so far is that the "victim" in question was clearly willing to make a false allegation with all the horrendous consequences that merely being tried for rape, let alone convicted could bring. I hope that she is currently being investigated for at least wasting police time, and if she has already given evidence, for perjury.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:32 am 

Elstow wrote:
I think that the other thing about the Liam Allan case that I have heard zero comment on so far is that the "victim" in question was clearly willing to make a false allegation with all the horrendous consequences that merely being tried for rape, let alone convicted could bring. I hope that she is currently being investigated for at least wasting police time, and if she has already given evidence, for perjury.

A very good point. However after the Eleanor de Freitas case maybe there is a reluctance to pursue mentally unstable accusers? However I guess (as with Eleanor de Freitas case) Liam Allan himself could commence private proceedings.

J