It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:09 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Where shall I research.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:20 am 

In a few years time, we want to move up nearer the channel ports.

I would like nearer the sea, so within half an hour or nearer. Would also like attractive scenery, bit more rolling than we have in Vienne. Will still want rural, but within 10 mins of nearest small/medium town.

Where shall I begin looking. I am completely unfamiliar with Normandy apart from the history around the beaches and D Day stuff.

Post subject: Re: Where shall I research.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:33 am 
Saw an interesting programe last night (on France 3) that covered Nord - Pas de Calais (59 & 62). Nord seems quite atractive, don't know if it rolls much but there is much greenery (more than in 86 anyway).

I have thought of 59 in the past. For me the attraction would be Lille but outside a town like that the scenery does look nice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:20 am 

Much of what I have seen in 59 and 62 is flat Flanders with the remnants of recovered pit heaps - but that admittedly is from the motorway.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:24 am 
Google it

Thats a joke by the way, I think its a lovely excuse to travel. I think It only took so long to find my house because I enjoyed noseying (I know this is not a word, but suits purpose) around France. Holiday time Kathy!! :-bd

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:44 am 

Sounds like this (Norman Switzerland)
http://www.pastichesdumas.com/suissenormande/FR/Intro.html

and an English site -
http://www.france4families.com/Normandy/RegionsNormandyAttractionsLittleSwiss.htm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:48 pm 
You could contact the television production company that does 'Recherche Appartement ou Maison' , get them to do the huniting for you:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:50 pm 

Have a look at Manche - maybe between Granville (lovely seaside town) and Villedieu les Poeles (pretty town with quite a lot of things going on).
Nice countryside all around, near to beaches, only about 60 - 90 minutes to ferries.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:10 pm 

Apart from all the obvious immoblier websites, perhaps a visit to the area staying at accomadation run by fellow TFF friends?
I was going to say TFF members but that didn't sound right :ymblushing:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:03 pm 
The Pas de Calais is definitely not flat, and you can be close to two Channel ports and the tunnel.

We live in a village, 5 minutes from a small town with all shops/services, 15 minutes from the beach, the tunnel and Calais Fréthun international train station, and 20 minutes from Calais and Boulogne sur Mer. We can be in Lille in half an hour and London in an hour by train. So it's probably a lot better than Normandy for access to the UK. And we're thinking of selling at the moment, because we want somewhere with more land........

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:48 pm 
I remember 62 as being of a rolling countryside nature. Not too bad there I thought.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:05 pm 

I haven't been up there for 3 or 4 years but it has some excellent restaurants if that is your thing.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:46 pm 

Thanks for your input. Travelled through Normandy on our way back from 3 weeks in UK, so not quite up for a tour :|
Mark has mentioned Swisse Normande, so will check that out in a day or two once I get back to normal.

Plenty of time to research, as this is several years in the future.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:45 pm 
A Place in the Sun today was in Normandy. They looked at the Alabaster Coast, which looked quite rugged - the white cliffs reminded me of Dover. The architecture was stunning - half-timbered or thatched houses. The scenery was rolling (like the Yorkshire Wolds) - not quite mountainous enough for me, but very pretty.

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 8:12 am 
I'm in the swiss normande, v pretty area, so you would be looking in Calvados 14 or the Orne 61, only bad thing I have found is its not a good place to rida your bike :lol: (v hilly)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 5:05 pm 

Fleury wrote:
Have a look at Manche - maybe between Granville (lovely seaside town) and Villedieu les Poeles (pretty town with quite a lot of things going on).
Nice countryside all around, near to beaches, only about 60 - 90 minutes to ferries.

You could also try around Coutances, Valognes, Carentan and Bayeux - all pretty towns within striking distance of the coast (and ferries)

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2011 9:10 pm 

Hi Kathy,
I think it really depends on what your priorities are at the time of moving. I am in upper normandy midway between Paris and the coast - about an hour from the beaches and less from Lehavre and Dieppe and we are definitely in "rolling countryside". The weather is warmer and less wet than the manche and the north and the scenery I find more varied and interesting than both of these areas - the architecture is stunning and there are plenty of villages/small market towns to explore and a plus (IMHO) is that we are less than an hour from Paris by train.
If you want nearer the coast maybe look at the paye d'auge - which is just a little north of us heading towards the coast.

It's really horses for courses - but as has already been said - its a good excuse to explore and have a good mooch about!
good luck with your search!

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2011 10:53 am 

Villedieu-les-Poêles (god's town of the pans!) is a good small town.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 9:40 am 

Location: Norwich, Anglia de l'est et la république de francophilie
The Eure valley is very attractive - we often stopover at Pacy-sur-Eure if we drive back to UK - but may be too far from the coast for you (about 90 mins drive). Prices also highish. Some lovely old Norman-style houses.