It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Crossing St. Nazaire bridge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:53 am 

Just in case you liked Millau, here's another, still can't see much from a car though. :( Times like this I wish I still had something higher to drive. ;)

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

Post subject: Re: Crossing St. Nazaire bridge
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:44 pm 

Love going over this on the big bikes!!

It can get a bit blustery at the top though :lol:

Edited : you get a good view of the railing in a car don't you! :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:58 pm 

scooby wrote:
Love going over this on the big bikes!!

It can get a bit blustery at the top though :lol:

Edited : you get a good view of the railing in a car don't you! :(

Sends you quite dizzy with those railing uprights flashing by. I just wish I had had the camcorder setup in the big Magnum all those years ago. Perhaps I should get a long selfie stick and hold it upright out of the window. :-?

Check the first link below if you don't know what I'm talking about.

But I think you do. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:16 pm 

Just in case you weren't overwhelmed with boredom during the trip over the bridge, and on the off chance that you like pretty coloured moving lights, this is the return trip northbound, after dark.

Also the burning question of modern times, map, or GPS? 8-|

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:24 pm 

Map. Everytime.

Big papery thing.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:26 pm 

I think people fannying around wirh gps whilst driving is as bad as texting to be honest. With a map you have to stop and find somewhere you can unfold it!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:56 pm 

scooby wrote:
I think people fannying around wirh gps whilst driving is as bad as texting to be honest. With a map you have to stop and find somewhere you can unfold it!

I prefer map, but use it before I set off, very rarely stop and look at it when on the road. In any case I have never had a car where the light was good enough to read one in detail at night.

Which is why I use both. My routes are printed out in bold 28 point type on the sun visor but I can't read them at night either.

Which is where the GPS comes in, as in the video, but you may have noticed that I did overrule it from memory (correctly) at the 1st roundabout. (Pity I didn't at the 2nd, the bit where I had to go to a 3rd roundabout and return, because of false information from the GPS, was edited out).

I have learned to largely disregard the voice though, a swift glance at the scrolling map screen is more accurate.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:41 pm 
Site Admin

I keep the voice switched off on GPS at all times. I usually have a good idea where I'm going as well! But paper maps are a thing of the past - they're in the car but never looked at

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:14 pm 
Site Admin

scooby wrote:
Map. Everytime.
Big papery thing.

Me too, Scoobs. Apart from anything else, it can be vital if you come across a problem and have to divert. A proper map can give you a rather better idea of interesting scenery (Michelin green roads for example) than GPS.
We've got a GPS in our Golf, but we never use it. I think the positioning of the fitted ones is dangerous because you have to look down to see it. My sister has one that sits on the dashboard and I think glancing aside is safer. But it's got a ghastly woman's voice .... %-(

Re maps and GPS - I am amazed to see people taking small boats out and relying on GPS, and having no knowledge of chart work. They'd be a bit stuffed if their battery gave out ... (I'm talking sailing now).
But I'm a map and chart fan and have used both for years ! Never used a sextant though :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:25 pm 

Always use Michelin maps, never GPS.
Before setting out I plan my route and jot down road numbers and towns, its only when I hit a deviation that I pull in to see the best route round it, its worked for me for about 40 years of driving in Europe.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:07 pm 

I agree with what the last 2 have said, but up to a point.

I leave the voice (changed so that I didn't have to put up with awful pronunciation like 'limmergez') as a prompter, but I don't rely on it and certainly don't turn when it says, because it is often ahead of itself.

I have 2 fold out maps of France and Spain (and Portugal) for long distance calculations on the road.

I have a big Michelin for more localised work.

But the real beauty of the GPS display (set at the bottom left hand corner of the screen, a flick of the eye is all that's needed) is for unexpected local diversions. I can zoom in or out to find my way round an obstruction or delay in a way that couldn't be done with anything other than a plethora of very local maps.

When faced with a longer than usual traffic jam approaching Chartres from the south, I used the screen to find an alternative which is so good, I use it all the time now.

Invaluable if only for that, and close work near to destination in a busy city too.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:51 pm 

We find the warnings about speeding very useful ( the only reason we bought then) , as for directions we use the map and GPS but just keep going in our route until the GPS catches up.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:40 pm 

Provost wrote:
We find the warnings about speeding very useful ( the only reason we bought then) , as for directions we use the map and GPS but just keep going in our route until the GPS catches up.

Yes the warnings for speed limits are useful, but it is necesssary nevertheless to still exercise caution. The Garmin I have is not always correct about the current limit.

I often try to read road signs aloud to myself, that minimises the risk of missing a change of limit, I then set the cruise accordingly. Haven't had a fine in over 2 years since starting that.

I still get flashed in error by the high level cameras which, for some reason, as my caravan is the same height as the car, sometimes think I am a lorry.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:22 am 

I know of bikers that use GPS on their bikes, the thought of wearing headphones whilst riding fill me with dread. (I have a mad biker pal who lives part of the year in Paris - she rides the peripherique with her ipod playing. :-ss )
On long journeys I use my big bike and if i need it I put a printed-out route into the top clear part of my tank bag. The problem is I would need my reading glasses on to see it so I have to stop anyway :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:56 am 
Site Admin

Provost wrote:
We find the warnings about speeding very useful ( the only reason we bought then), as for directions we use the map and GPS but just keep going in our route until the GPS catches up.

I've never needed a GPS to tell me about speed limits - just good observation ;) If the GPS isn't 100% up to date and you rely on it, you could get caught out.

The driving round here is not very good, and it's not just tourists in summer - it's locals. They ignore speed limits and leapfrog to try to get ahead, particularly at lunch time. Some think they're a trailer and at night they can be so close that I can't see their headlights. There is an accident on the St Malo-Rennes dual carriageway at least once a week - and there have been several caused by a driver going in the wrong direction :o In each case it has been an oldie at the wheel. How they miss those bright yellow and red no entry signs beats me ...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:42 am 

Blaze wrote:
I've never needed a GPS to tell me about speed limits - just good observation ;) If the GPS isn't 100% up to date and you rely on it, you could get caught out.

That is true, and you reinforce my point, but frequently good observation isn't enough. One of my bugbears is the frequent disruption caused by the faucharge tractors clearing the verges.

All well and good, needs to be done, but the far less attention paid to all the road signs, including speed limit signs, which are frequently hidden by vegetation and almost never cleared, is a disgrace.

And don't get me started on those signs just around a corner before the entry to a small village. How they expect us to decellerate safely from 90 to 50 in a couple of metres beats me, unless there is another agenda, of course.

That said, I am full of praise for a village near me, Javerlhac just before the Charente border, that recently replaced their 50 signs with 70 ones with the the old 50s placed 100 metres further on. With both signs easily seen it is possible to enter the village legally without even touching the brakes.

Got to be a plus against global warning, another of my bugbears, raging against pursueing us diesel users while causing frequent violent decellerations with speedbumps, chicanes and un-phased traffic lights. X(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:27 pm 

Blaze wrote:
Provost wrote:
We find the warnings about speeding very useful ( the only reason we bought then), as for directions we use the map and GPS but just keep going in our route until the GPS catches up.

The driving round here is not very good, and it's not just tourists in summer - it's locals. They ignore speed limits and leapfrog to try to get ahead, particularly at lunch time. Some think they're a trailer and at night they can be so close that I can't see their headlights. There is an accident on the St Malo-Rennes dual carriageway at least once a week - and there have been several caused by a driver going in the wrong direction :o In each case it has been an oldie at the wheel. How they miss those bright yellow and red no entry signs beats me ...

I never have had a speed ticket nor felt any need to go above the speed limits, however the leader of the opposition has had 4 that is why I bought the GPS for both cars.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:05 pm 
Site Admin

Provost wrote:
I never have had a speed ticket nor felt any need to go above the speed limits, however the leader of the opposition has had 4 that is why I bought the GPS for both cars.

Ah yes ..... er ... Doctor, I have this friend ...... :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:10 pm 

Blaze wrote:
Provost wrote:

Ah yes ..... er ... Doctor, I have this friend ...... :lol:

Surprise surprise I do believe he's my friend also.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:20 pm 

:))

SHE is not my friend just the current wife!