It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:49 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Fly no more, from the uk to the EU
PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:30 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
A bit of a cut and paste,

Ryanair chief executive Michael O’Leary warned Tuesday that a failure to agree a Brexit ‘open skies’ deal could mean airlines being unable to fly between Britain and the rest of the European Union.
The outspoken executive told the European Parliament’s transport and tourism committee that the only way to ensure continued flights was to agree a new aviation deal by September 2018, in time for the UK leaving the bloc in March 2019. “In the worst-case scenario, there will be no flights in or out of the UK to Europe for a period, for all carriers,” he said.

https://inews.co.uk/essentials/news/uk/ryanairs-oleary-says-brexit-shambles-end-flights-uk-eu/

I suppose that you can always let the train take the strain :lol: thats unless the nearest station is 50 plus Km away, then its the car, and extortionate ferry or tunnel, the only option

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

Post subject: Re: Fly no more, from the uk to the EU
PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:53 am 

Just MOL winding people up

The deal in question allows operators to work out of third countries.

There is no way he will give up his slots - only for Easyjet to take them. After all - people are able fly to non-EU countries at present.

J

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:44 am 

He and other airline bosses have been warning about this for a year. They'll find a way around it and the UK will lose out on that too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:04 am 

The underlying issue is airlines need to know the rules that will be in place in advance of opening up their bookings for a time period.

He wants rules sorting and publishing 6 months before Brexit so he can get his post-Brexit schedule worked out and on-line for bookings which is understandable.

He won't pull flights and lose slots he may not get back.

The EU is hardly likely to say we will give up tourist income from x million British holiday makers per year - if they did hotels and other tourist related businesses would go bankrupt which would be blamed on EU.

But MOL being MOL goes OTT with calls to ignore Brexit vote etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:50 am 

Let's be clear this is a Ryanair scare story.

The open skies policy allows airlines to operate freely within the EU rather than having to fly in and out of their home country/countries.

If there is no agreement BA, EasyJet, Flybe will continue to be able to fly in and out of the UK to EU destinations. Ryanair as an Irish airline will not be able to run any routes to the UK except via Ireland.

There will of course be other impacts and EasyJet for example fly in and out of Lyon to non-UK destinations. That could be lost, but EasyJet have said they will if necessary set up a subsidiary company in the EU in order to maintain their current routes.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:24 am 

Easy Jet announces that it's setting up a subsidiary in Belgium to get round any Brexit problems.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:22 pm 

Belgium??

Has Vienna moved?? :))

http://www.bbc.com/news/business-40604375

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:47 pm 

Sorry my mistake in getting countries mixed up, wake up before posting would be better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:06 pm 

thelastoneout wrote:
Let's be clear this is a Ryanair scare story.

The open skies policy allows airlines to operate freely within the EU rather than having to fly in and out of their home country/countries.

If there is no agreement BA, EasyJet, Flybe will continue to be able to fly in and out of the UK to EU destinations. Ryanair as an Irish airline will not be able to run any routes to the UK except via Ireland.

There will of course be other impacts and EasyJet for example fly in and out of Lyon to non-UK destinations. That could be lost, but EasyJet have said they will if necessary set up a subsidiary company in the EU in order to maintain their current routes.

The open skies facility as I understand it requires airlines to have their bases (registered offices? centre of interest?) in the EU. Hence Easyjet's decision to set up a one-stop shop in Austria. Ryanair's R/O is in Dublin, but they have a big corporate presence in the UK. I can't say I blame them for wanting to maximise the shekels, we all do it to avoid paying too much in tax. Trouble is at the moment, nobody (much less May Inc) knows what's going on. You can't run a business in those conditions.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:42 pm 

Big corporate presence but no registered company.

So RA would need to set up a registered company in the UK to maintain their current range of flights if there is no open skies agreement. That in turn would make their UK operations open to UK corporation tax at 17% instead of the current 10% in Ireland.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:59 pm 

I have flown with ryanair, if I have to book via Uzbekistan and change planes in Antarctica that will have the same effect.
NOT using then ever again!