It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: french attitudes to 'gays', lesbians
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:09 pm 

Yes I know they've passed a law to allow 'gay' marriage (I don't like that word btw) but I saw a situation today which seemed to show that homophobic views are still very common and not hidden.
I was sitting in the waiting area for a blood test, and noticed the little old man next to me was looking very nervous. When he was called in he walked off with that unmistakable effeminate walk, short mincing steps etc.
I was quite shocked when most of the others there started to titter.
Poor old fellow, no wonder he was nervous - maybe it's different in the big towns and cities?

Post subject: Re: french attitudes to 'gays', lesbians
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:23 pm 

I think amongst some elderly people maybe ideas are still a bit old fashioned. I don't know that many younger gay men that are that camp these days. I guess there are narrow minded people here as there are everywhere. Our local farmer, who was married with 4 grown up kids, came out as gay several years ago and although a few people were shocked at the time, no one seems that bothered now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 6:36 pm 
Site Admin

A lot of it depends where you are and the mentality of the people. I honestly can't say I've ever come across any sort of homophobia since we've lived in France. The horsey world is full of gay people, male and female - some very well-known. But I don't think anyone cares - what I mean is that it isn't an issue.

Your old boy was probably nervous about having a blood test (might hate needles) !

Ignorance and fear can cause people to be cruel, though I somehow doubt the people sniggering at the old fellow were really meaning to be unkind. They may well have needed something to relieve the tension !

Joking or laughing about homosexuality doesn't necessarily make you homophobic - it very much depends on the context.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:07 pm 

Patf wrote:
Yes I know they've passed a law to allow 'gay' marriage (I don't like that word btw) but I saw a situation today which seemed to show that homophobic views are still very common and not hidden.
I was sitting in the waiting area for a blood test, and noticed the little old man next to me was looking very nervous. When he was called in he walked off with that unmistakable effeminate walk, short mincing steps etc.
I was quite shocked when most of the others there started to titter.
Poor old fellow, no wonder he was nervous - maybe it's different in the big towns and cities?

You really cannot generalise - idiots exist everywhere and hopefully they will die out.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:09 am 

I have always had homosexual friends, and was unusual amongst my hetero ones in accepting them for who, rather than what, they were.

At boarding school I was even propositoned more than once, but was never really troubled as my own predeliction (often punished) for the opposite sex became obvious.

However nowadays I find myself less tolerant privately. At first I thought it was just becoming a grumpy old man, but now I think it is the overwhelming presence forced on us in TV drama. Almost as if heterosexuals were made to be an oppressed minority. In the soaps that I am obliged to watch (we live in a small house and mealtimes seem always to coincide with the favourite viewing of my soap obsessed wife :o ) there are multiple story lines involving homosexual activity and I find myself squirming during the fairly explicit scenes.

Is it just me, or are some others perhaps affected, albeit reluctantly, by the same trend?

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:39 pm 

I don't know David. Maybe it's age as I find I'm getting more like my grandmother every day, but tutting every time there is anything about sex on the tele, whatever type. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:04 pm 

David - I agree to some extent. To me heteros and homos are (usually) born that way, so we should all be able to get on with life in our own way.
There shouldn't be a need to make a song and dance about it, processions, tv series etc, but it seems to touch a raw nerve in many people, and especially certain nationalities.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

lindal1000 wrote:
I don't know David. Maybe it's age as I find I'm getting more like my grandmother every day, but tutting every time there is anything about sex on the tele, whatever type. :lol:

Me too, Lindal1000 !
I just get tired of it all being rammed down our throats. Every drama now has a white person, a black person, and Asian, a gay and sometimes someone who is disabled. Whilst I appreciate that it shows that producers are trying to show no prejudice, these situations are unrealistic : you don't get a group of half a dozen people who cover every minority group !

As for showing explicit sex scenes on TV - it's as unappealing to many of us as showing someone in the loo. I can only imagine that the people who make these films enjoy watching other people having sex etc. and that they are trying to appeal to other voyeurs - because that is what they are. Watching a couple of actors puffing and panting on the screen would be comic if it weren't so sad. b-(

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:38 pm 

I've noticed recently in the U.K. in tv adverts a lot of mixed race couples. This is fine and I have no issues with it but I look around my ( wide ) circle of friends, family ,acquaintances colleagues etc ,and I don't know one mixed race pairing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:18 pm 

..................whereas I know loads so they reflect my reality well. :)

I.C.U...............Jimmy........20/20 vision.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:01 pm 

I have to admit that I have spent most of my life being gay and happy. The thing that I object to is that the lovely word 'gay' has been taken out of my repertiore!

Once again it is the pendulum effect and at the moment I just hope thta it has swung almost to the end of the PC arc!

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:03 pm 

Jonzjob wrote:
I have to admit that I have spent most of my life being gay and happy. The thing that I object to is that the lovely word 'gay' has been taken out of my repertiore!

Once again it is the pendulum effect and at the moment I just hope thta it has swung almost to the end of the PC arc!

I agree, which is which I deliberately didn't use it in my posts above. :| (PS, check the description of that emoticon ;) )

One thing that amused me was, despite the word lesbian being in common use, many people use the word 'gay' to refer to both sexes, while others talk of 'gays and lesbians'.

Does that not bring an element of tortology to the discussion? :-?

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:17 pm 

Blaze wrote:
I just get tired of it all being rammed down our throats.

Oh i don't know, most of my gay friends are happy to have it rammed down their throats.