It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:55 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Artifical sweeteners instead of sugar
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

I don't know if anyone here drinks or has drunk Irn Bru ..... I've never been a great fan myself.
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-gla ... t-42565363
According to the BBC website "Makers of the fizzy favourite are changing the formula of the product to cut the sugar content by almost half".
No doubt they will replace it with an artificial sweetener like so many drinks today. I don't like the taste of drinks with aspartame - and yes, I can taste the difference !

We don't drink fizzy drinks much except with spirits - ginger ale, tonic and lemonade. Tonic water in the UK has had artificial sweetener for years while France held out. However, we have now found that they have changed the shape of the can and use aspartame :( The only tonic we have found still sweetened with sugar is Intermarché's own brand. Even Canada Dry has gone over to artificial sugar.

Fortunately there are still various brands of lemonade without aspartame ... let's hope they last.

The nanny state is now penalising those of us who do eat sensibly because of those who don't X(

Post subject: Re: Artifical sweeteners instead of sugar
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:01 pm 

I think it is better that they change the formula than they go down the taxation route as some cities in US have done.

Sugar seems to be the new bad thing - it used to be fats - but as with everything else it is sad when some suffer because others have less self-control (says he drinking lime cordial made with sugar!)

J

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:20 pm 

Whist I agree you can in some drinks still taste the artificial sweetner it's not as bad as it used to be. Tongue curling bad when they first arrived.

Interesting program last night "Trust me I'm a Doctor" Co2 in drinks especially with sugar drinks releases a chemical that makes you hungry therefore more likely to eat and gain.

Even fizzy water.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:22 am 
Site Admin

I found it irritating when the majority of yoghurts available were labelled "0%" fat - the choice of nice fat yoghurt was a fraction of those available in the "fat-free" version. I did stop drinking full fat milk a long time ago and, probably like most people, drink semi-skimmed. But it was a conscious choice.

As you say J, sugar is the new bad thing. There was a news item about the sugar hidden in every product and they proceeded to show a selection of items ... all processed foods, needless to say. No wonder people are becoming overweight so easily today if so many are eating pre-prepared meals full of hidden evils !

I like to be allowed to choose what I eat rather than be dictated to just because some people are unable to eat sensibly.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:55 am 

Both Fever Tree & Fentimans brands of tonic water have no artificial sweeteners in them.

They are more expensive than Schweppes, but as I drink gin & tonic rarely these days (I know, I'm getting old & sensible.....) I don't mind paying a bit more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 8:58 am 

Blaze wrote:

I like to be allowed to choose what I eat rather than be dictated to just because some people are unable to eat sensibly.

There in lies the problem, two tier system, whilst the rich get richer and the .......
They also get fatter as salt and sugar are the main source of taste in processed meals in place of real flavour which cost more.

When my Brother was working in Stoke, he bought a bag of salad and the checkout girl said "Not from round here then"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:02 am 

As you say though, it's only when you buy pre prepared food that your choices are dictated. If you make your own yoghurt then you can put as much fat in it as you like. Similarly with sweet things..you're free to add sugar or your choice of sweetener and you know exactly what other crap is in there because you put it in yourself. Do people really suffer because they can't buy a sugary drink?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:09 am 

Interestingly, on some 0 fat items they have to use a thickener to give that satisfying texture and they sometimes use methyl cellulose fibre which actually binds up and removes cholesterol, :-B

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:30 am 

Personally I rarely drink fizzy drinks (Cava and Champagne obviously the exception!!)

refined sugar is nasty and artificial sugar is even nastier.
When I was a child we had small bottles of 'pop' which were considered a treat. A can of lemonade or coke (a locally made equivalent) was a picnic treat had to be shared between myself and my 2 brothers; one who always spat a bit of his egg sandwich back into the can to guarantee he would put us off and have the whole can to himself :ymsick:
I've never liked drinking straight from a can!!!

Don't you think modern day society treats fizzy 'pop' as an everyday/ all day drink?
I know younger people who 'don't like water' euh?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 5:15 pm 

After my father had what we thought was a heart attack (it wasn't, it was worse) I immediately dropped from 2 sugars to 1 in my tea and coffee. It was awful at first, but I just can't take them without. Until I started using Canderel. I have tried cheaper sweeteners, which really do taste awful, but Canderel tastes like sugar. Or maybe I'm just used to it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 6:06 pm 

scooby wrote:
Personally I rarely drink fizzy drinks (Cava and Champagne obviously the exception!!)

refined sugar is nasty and artificial sugar is even nastier.
When I was a child we had small bottles of 'pop' which were considered a treat. A can of lemonade or coke (a locally made equivalent) was a picnic treat had to be shared between myself and my 2 brothers; one who always spat a bit of his egg sandwich back into the can to guarantee he would put us off and have the whole can to himself :ymsick:
I've never liked drinking straight from a can!!!

Don't you think modern day society treats fizzy 'pop' as an everyday/ all day drink?
I know younger people who 'don't like water' euh?

Have only tried coke once when my children liked it, never drink fizzy drinks, will if pressed drink beer from a bottle but never from a can, what are glasses made for?
These days only drink coffee for breakfast and sometimes a petit noir after dinner, but never with sugar.
The rest of the time i drink water, must admit that for the evening meal it does turn red.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:00 pm 

Papibryn wrote:
The rest of the time i drink water, must admit that for the evening meal it does turn red.

You can do that trick as well :ymapplause:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:17 am 

How many can you feed with 5 loaVes and fishes?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:56 am 
Site Admin

Well, I, for one, feel life is too short to not enjoy a little bit of sugar now and again. To coin the clichés, everything in moderation and a little of what you fancy does you good! I don't like the taste of sweeteners or artificial sweetener in drinks, so sugar in my tea and on my cornflakes is a done deal.

Natural sugars, fructose, in fruits and fruit juice, can be just as bad for your teeth, so we're damned either way!

I can't afford many luxuries, but sugar is one that I can! Bon appetite! :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:20 am 

Indeed Bayleaf, sugar powers muscles. Refined sugars in moderation and reduced where possible.

I used to take 2 sugars in my tea. Mrs T did the low carbs diet reducing sugars and I somewhat got to follow not believing I could possibly drink tea & coffee without 2 spoons. I gradually wound the sugar down over many months to the 1/2 spoon and your body adjusts and you simply do not need the larger amount unless doing a lot of physical work. Some confectionery uses cheap and very sweet corn sugars and they are now disgusting to my palate.

I drink the smoothy each morning which contains fruit and therefore fruit sugars but only near the teeth for a second. The damage to my teeth was done via bluebird toffee sticks years back and a bike accident.

I believe, as yet no proof that natural sugars are treated differently to refined sugar once inside the body.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:03 am 

I think the acids in fruit are of greater danger than fructose in your smoothie.

J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:49 am 

Why?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:53 am 

Assuming you still have your own teeth - the acid eats away at the enamel!

J

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:58 pm 

Very slowly due to saliva constantly washing teeth with pH neutral, slightly alkaline liquid unless you are I'll.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:38 pm 

I learnt something interesting tonight, artificial sweetener is not readily broken down in the body, so it passes through.

They are able to measure the level of artificial sweeteners in swimming pool water and from that can determine the level of Pee in the pool.

Just another man made chemical making it back into the water courses and the sea with what long term consequences?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:44 pm 
Site Admin

The thought of swallowing pee in a swimming pool is a great motivator for keeping your mouth shut !

Joking apart, swallowing water in a sea-water pool really bites your throat. I always keep a big bottle of water handy ...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:17 am 

Blaze wrote:
The thought of swallowing pee in a swimming pool is a great motivator for keeping your mouth shut !

Or just swimming in your own pool :-o
Just as Bear Grylls says it's sterile liquid :ymsick:
It only a worry in pools because it makes nasty trichloromethane (the classic swimming pool smell).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:19 am 

Teapot wrote:
I learnt something interesting tonight, artificial sweetener is not readily broken down in the body, so it passes through.

They are able to measure the level of artificial sweeteners in swimming pool water and from that can determine the level of Pee in the pool.

Just another man made chemical making it back into the water courses and the sea with what long term consequences?

hmmmm... interesting.

Perhaps I should start bottling up little phials of seawater and sell it as a dieting aid.

oh hang on someones already done that!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:39 am 
Site Admin

:lol:
Do you remember tins of London fog ? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 am 

https://www.techsealab.com/en/wellness-2

A local company. I was given a box of this by the owner and to be honest it made me really nauseous.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:43 am 

Blaze wrote:

No! but someone on ebay is selling little bags of Penmarch sand!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:42 am 

You're not taking this seriously. :-o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:12 am 
Site Admin

Well someone's getting sucked in. People will buy anything !

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:15 am 

So it would seem, just wish I were smart enough and didn't care about ripping people off to come up with ideas L-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:26 am 
Site Admin

I wish! Starting to think again about bottling (reusable glass bottles of course!) our Spring water. Best in the land apparently, just need some crowd funding to buy the materials needed! Or I could just sit on the side of the trough and fill bottles! Oh, if only it were so easy! :lol:

"Hand-filled bottles of natural water from the underground Springs of beautiful Jumilhac." Do you think it could catch on? Looks like they could do with some in Cape Town at the moment ....

Sorry, digressing, back to sugar and spice and all things nice! ;;)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:40 am 

What "Peckham Spring" :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:46 pm 

Blaze wrote:

Oh yeah! (I'm that ancient).
OH (diabetic) uses Stevia on his porridge. Since his cider diet has so dramatically reduced his blood-sugar levels, he's threatening to use honey now. I've suggested maple syrup for the moment - absolutely nothing wrong with honey but I read somewhere a while back that MS is better for diabetics. Just so long as he doesn't use up all my breakfast pancake syrup...