It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Buttermilk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:38 pm 

Buttermilk is specified in a number of gluten-free recipes (I've been diagnosed with coeliac disease so I'm on a steep non-gluten bakery learning curve).
I've never bought it before, and I wasn't sure what it's called in French. I found "babeurre" and references to this being the same as the Arab fermented milk I've seen in the chill cabinets next to the fresh milk.
Can anyone advise, and does it freeze (if you don't want the whole packet at once?)

Post subject: Re: Buttermilk
PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:55 pm 

This isn't very helpful but I bought the arabic milk once for soda bread. It didn't work, but I learned later that ornery milk with added lemon juice would work.
Carrefour has a range of gluten-free breads.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:18 pm 

There seems to be a multitude of different types of buttermilk - or a multitude of types of dairy product given the same name.

I always thought it was the left-overs from butter production - babeurre - as you say used in various baking recipes (I think the one I saw was a Paul Holywood - will try to look it up at home tonight).

J

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

MAD87 wrote:
This isn't very helpful but I bought the arabic milk once for soda bread. It didn't work

An Irish friend of mine used to buy it from a Moroccan shop, described to us as buttermilk, for just this purpose - and it did work. So maybe it's a different thing?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:25 pm 

Found the recipe on his web site: http://paulhollywood.com/recipes/soda_bread/

However, as one ingredient is wheat I am not sure how useful it is for Liz.

J

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:27 pm 

I was being lazy asking you lot! Now back home after walking the dogs and having a think, Mad87's post sent me googling... and yes you can make your own in small quantities which seems like a good idea.
I've had a google, and after adding 'uk' to my search for 'make your own buttermilk' and 'fait son propre babeurre' (thus refining the first results with US cup measures and then hazy French references to grande tasses) Nigella of all people came up trumps.
In case anyone needs it here you are:

"There are a few things that can be used to stand in for buttermilk if it is not available. If you have some regular, plain yogurt to hand then use 200mls (2/3 cup) yogurt to 50mls (1/3 cup) milk. If you have Greek yogurt only then use equal quantities of Greek yogurt and milk. The yogurt/milk combination is particularly good as a substitute for buttermilk in marinades.

Alternatively you can sour some milk by adding some acid. Pour 250mls (1 cup) milk into a jug and stir in 1 (15ml) tablespoon of lemon juice or white wine vinegar. Stir well and leave to stand for 5 minutes before using as directed in the recipe. Full fat (whole) milk or semi-skimmed (reduced fat) milk work best here as skimmed (non fat) milk tends to turn a little watery."

The commercial stuff can be frozen, it's suggested in ice cube trays measured out in tablespoons. Not sure about home-made, but as you could just make what you want....