It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:36 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Fishing in Pays Basque
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:37 am 
Site Admin

Is there anyone in the Pays Basque area who could help an owld duffer like me with fly fishing? I'm an absolute beginner. I bought a rod in Scotland years ago and I've been carrying it around with me ever since and now we're here, I'd like to fish on some of the many great-looking rivers down here..
Any takers?
TIA
P

http://piperade-thecompleatanglo.blogspot.com/

Post subject: Re: Fishing in Pays Basque
PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2012 5:07 pm 

Just found this on a search on fly fishing. I'm a bit like yourself, haven't fished since I was at primary school, and recently took the notion of starting again! I've had a split cane rod for 35 - 40 years, it was made for me and was too good to use, so never was ... sadly the old chap that made it is long gone.
I did buy a s/h kit for brown trout, been out now 6 -7 times and no fish ... but at least I'm getting the fly in the water now ... not so much in the grass behind me lol.
How did you get on? are you catching much? I'll give it a while and see if things improve, I think you really need someone to take you under their wing, there's a lot to know about the river and the fish.
Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:48 pm 
Site Admin

Whereabouts are you Dolmen?
Sorry I'm a bit remiss in replying but we've just returned from a short break.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:22 am 

Piperade wrote:
Is there anyone in the Pays Basque area who could help an owld duffer like me with fly fishing? I'm an absolute beginner. I bought a rod in Scotland years ago and I've been carrying it around with me ever since and now we're here, I'd like to fish on some of the many great-looking rivers down here..
Any takers?
TIA
P

Ooooh is that an invitation Pip? Just need to convince Boss I'm doing it on behalf of Age Concern. :lol:

For one reason or another, I've not been able to find the time for indulging in shootin' 'n fishin' as often as I would like, but I certainly enjoy dipping a fly on the water.
You've got me thinking a trip to your area might be in the offing for next year. :-bd

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:34 am 
Site Admin

I've a rod.. and a reel.. and a 30yr old line..
I need someone to show me how to cast a fly before I even set foot on a river bank!
This area is supposed to be good for fly fishing. Each time I see the swirling bottle green waters of the Gave it gets me going! Then there are those rivers on the Spanish side that Hemingway used to fish and about which he subsequently wrote about so eloquently..
Good idea though! :-bd

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:46 am 

I'm in northern ireland so bit far away, however we are planning a trip in the campervan sept '13 if it all comes together.
I too couldn't find any local fishermen to give me some instruction, but managed to find a few good vids one of the gents was 'Oliver Edwards' he sells his vids aswell. I'm now getting the hang of getting the fly out there, but its only starting really ... I did catch my first trout this week after many weeks of trying different flys, nymphs etc etc so things are looking up.

I'd say watch a few of the vids on the tube and get out on the lawn with that old line ... good tip, a cable tie around your wrist and the end of the rod handle stops you from flexing the wrist. Good luck.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:14 am 
Site Admin

dolmen wrote:
I'm in northern ireland so bit far away, however we are planning a trip in the campervan sept '13 if it all comes together.
I too couldn't find any local fishermen to give me some instruction, but managed to find a few good vids one of the gents was 'Oliver Edwards' he sells his vids aswell. I'm now getting the hang of getting the fly out there, but its only starting really ... I did catch my first trout this week after many weeks of trying different flys, nymphs etc etc so things are looking up.

I'd say watch a few of the vids on the tube and get out on the lawn with that old line ... good tip, a cable tie around your wrist and the end of the rod handle stops you from flexing the wrist. Good luck.

Thanks for that tip.. The garden here isn't big enough to start flailing around with rod and line but a few minutes away there are some wide open spaces by the beaches.
Keep me in mind for next year! :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:40 am 

You can't beat a beach for practising your cast, also any pools left as the tide recedes.

That's a good tip from Dolmen re keeping your wrist straight.

Also, get out to a fishing spot and look to see what insect life is on the water. It's handy if your flies imitate the seasons regarding insects both on the surface for floating lines, and below the surface for sinking lines.