It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:36 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: parcel tracking
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:59 pm 

Isn't it fun to watch where your 'colis' spend their overnight stays?
OH's car bits often get sent courrier from Brum to Gatwick, then fly to Lyon before going by road to Blagnac (Toulouse) where they arrive an hour too late to catch the morning bus north to the Lot valley. Thus they often spend Friday-Monday or Tuesday relaxing in Blagnac, as nothing moves in France at the weekends, and sometimes a night in Cahors too. Meanwhile he just wants to get on with fitting them to a car.
Usually La Poste takes a more direct route, but just now I'm tracking a parcel from a UK Amazon warehouse: it was sent to Calais, then a transporter has taken it by road to La Poste dépôt in Bas-Rhin, completely the opposite side of France to the delivery address in the Lot.
No wonder the estimated delivery date is next Tuesday or Wednesday!

Post subject: Re: parcel tracking
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:07 pm 

The curse of hub and spoke logistics systems.

You send from point A and it is sent to the first hub - along a spoke - together with all of the other parcels "belonging to the first hub".
Your parcel is then sent to the next hub (which could be the next or the final hub depending on the route) where it is then sent along another spoke to the final delivery depot (mini hub), who make the delivery.

So for example sending a package from Liege (B) to Aachen (D) (55 minutes on the slow train), involves the package being sent to Brussels Zaventem airport (hub one) for a flight to Frankfurt/Main (hub 2), where it is sent to (I think) Cologne (hub 3 but it could be Duesseldorf or Duisburg) and sorted for onward despatch to Aachen (hub 4) for delivery to the address shown on the label.

Overall however, hub and spoke is the most efficient bulk method yet devised .

There will always be (many) examples where this seems a nonsense, but then we are looking at one delivery and we are never looking at the actual costs, which diminish dramatically with volumes shipped.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:47 pm 

UPS is the best.

I got a parcel within 12 hours of placing my order from Birmingham recently. Cost 18€

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:53 pm 

Ha ha ! UPS here are just white van men/women doing UPS, Chronopost and everybody else. Nice guys/gals at the end of the line struggling to earn a crust.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:03 pm 

It's a post code lottery. UPS are great where I am, it's the real deal Brown UPS van and great service. I always prefer la poste delivery from Amazon because they know where we live. Fedex and TNT, however, are shit.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:11 pm 

Uniforms? In the rural Lot? :lol:
I opt for Chronopost on dog fud with Zooplus, and Fixit always asks for post on car parts but often the parts supplier prefers courrier for security.....meanwhile I just need a tuppenny rad cap for my Trav.
Either way, it's a lad/lass in a battered white van who does UPS, Chronopost, Fedex or whoever. Poor things, on a hot summer's afternoon we've refilled their water bottles many a time (and offered a loo).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:21 pm 

Hillbillies :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:07 pm 

It is indeed a lottery and the losers are always the guys and girls in the delivery vans.
Their routes are calculated on distances and road restrictions, never on reality. So I live 22km round trip from the nearest town (and point relais for many companies) on unrestricted roads. So at 90kpm and with a generous 60 second drop off time that's a 15 minute or so round trip. On a good day, if I don't get held up by a caravan, farm tractor and trailer or by the myriad of cyclists who use the road, I can do a one way trip in that time - just. It is not a road that allows for errors - well not twice anyway.

If there are no other deliveries in our direction then the drivers frequently do not even try to make a delivery and leave the packages at the point relais, saying we were not in, even though we were. I fully understand this and have discussed (briefly because they are always under time pressure) that they can leave packages like this without risk of negative comment from me.

As a former logistics manager, I understand that these folk are judged on just 3 factors - delivery, delivery, delivery. There are no marks for good customer service. Just get it delivered. That is why in the UK you hear of companies where parcels are left in bin stores, on out house roofs, etc.. Same problem - different country.

The lads and lasses get paid little and as said get no marks for good service, just for the amount delivered. Companies do not get paid a second time if the delivery cannot be made first time around. The drivers are therefore under pressure for a one-off first time delivery - somewhere, anywhere.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:28 am 

Reminds me of the tiny package from California which went via Frankfurt and Nantes to Bordeaux in less than 24 hours.....and then took a week to finally arrive in the Dordogne because 2 successive white van men couldn't be bothered to get out of a warm cab and ask directions in a small village. Or phone me (the 3rd one did).

Also, the Berlingo gearbox from England which was delivered on time to my mechanic but the driver couldn't be bothered to make contact and forged a signature on his delivery note. It wasn't till after much phoning to trace what happened that it was discovered dumped on the roadside.

I too was a transport manager, Andy, but if any of my drivers did such a thing there would definitely have been consequences.

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:01 am 
Site Admin

I enjoy following the trail of the parcel - it sets of quickly but then sits on a "plateform" for a few days before eventually being delivered. This does depend on the carrier, however.

UPS are excellent here - we now know our drivers. I had a music stand and accordion case delivered from Germany - and found the UPS van was full of items from the same company ! I was pleased to know there are other musicians nearby !

However, when we lived in a rural area, DHL was awful and they never left a phone number - I would happily have gone and picked my parcel up had they offered the service. Each time I complained about their service to the company who used them.

Zooplus drivers leave the dog food in a "discreet place" if I'm out !

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:58 am 

The very worst for us is chronopost, they never deliver saying anything as an excuse, so have given up and get stuff delivered to the local point relay.
Amazon on the other hand are excellent and always deliver here quickly with own vans, once had a text from chronopost to say couldn't find us then an hour later the amazon van turned up with an order,the driver saying no probs when asked.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:40 am 

aha, update online this morning... Amazon say it's enjoying election day in Blagnac so it might arrive tomorrow.
Meanwhile laposte is more circumspect, it won't admit which plateforme colis it's lurking in, but it does admit that yesterday somebody had to get out the sticky tape:
"L'emballage de votre colis a été renforcé pour en assurer sa livraison. Il est en cours d'acheminement."
Oh well, I wasn't expecting perfect as the dog guard within has been 'pre-owned' as they say these days.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:48 pm 

Fixit wrote:
Ha ha ! UPS here are just white van men/women doing UPS, Chronopost and everybody else. Nice guys/gals at the end of the line struggling to earn a crust.

Not here in Finistere. Brown van, uniform. Young handsome chap, just like the advert!