It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:43 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: UK Driving Licences in France
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Not long ago, I was stopped by the Gendarmes who wished to check my licence, insurance etc.
The young man looked at my photocard UK licence and said that I should have changed it after 12 months living in France.
I then showed him a brochure which I obtained from the Prefecture which states that a licence from another EU country is perfectly valid in France.

vosdroits.service-public.fr wrote:
Principe
La personne résidant en France, qui possède un permis de conduire délivré par un autre Etat membre de l'Union européenne (UE) ou un autre Etat partie à l'accord sur l'Espace économique européen (EEE) et remplit toutes les conditions pour l'utiliser en France, peut demander son échange.
Mais ce n'est pas une obligation, sauf dans certains cas.

Echange obligatoire
L'échange du permis de conduire est rendu obligatoire, si la personne :
commet en France une infraction entraînant une suspension, restriction, retrait ou annulation du permis, ou une perte de points,
a obtenu ce permis en échange d'un permis de conduire d'un pays tiers à l'UE ou l'EEE, avec lequel la France n'a pas conclu d'accord de réciprocité.
Dans ce dernier cas, le titulaire du permis doit faire sa demande d'échange contre un permis français dans un délai d'un an suivant son installation en France.

All this is providing that you can be contacted via the UK address.
As my licence has a photo, the Gendarme was satisfied and I was allowed to continue on my way.
I suspect that those who have paper licences (do they still exist ?) may have a little more difficulty persuading them as there is no photo.
It doesn't, however, change the fact that a UK driving licence is perfectly legal in France.

The Prefecture in Angers have seen my licence, know that I have been permanently resident in France for nearly 13 years and have confirmed to me that I am not obliged to change it.

Post subject: Re: UK Driving Licences in France
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:23 pm 

Blaze,

Do you know that there is an expiry date on the photocard licenses? They only last 10 years.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:24 pm 

Must admit I changed my license when I first moved to France because I had to. I still have my old UK paper license as well. Are they still valid?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:28 pm 
Site Admin

When you apply for a French licence, you are normally expected to relinquish you GB one.
However, there seem to be discrepancies between what the different Prefectures accept - a friend with an ordinary licence changed hers at the same time as her husband, who had additional categories like HGV and motorcycle. The Prefecture made her new French licence with the same categories as her husband !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:40 pm 

I gave them my American license, which was all above board cos it was a New Hampshire license.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:43 pm 
According to the prefecture here tha pink paper licenses are valid. Mine is pink, paper and very torn but the prefecture said it is still good. They declined to change it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:46 pm 
I just got a speeding fine for doing 53 (adjusted from 58) in a 50 zone. I've paid it and the notice said that I would be subsequently be contacted by the driving licence people about losing one point.

Has anyone with an EU non-French licence been in a similar situation? I'm wondering whether when they find that I am not on their books they will bother following it up for just one point. If they do, I will have to change my licence, of course.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:58 pm 

From what I have been told......not, it wasn't me......they insist that you change your licence.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:00 pm 

From what I have heard - you are correct.

From a Gendarme

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:04 pm 
I thought that would probably be the case, but I'll wait and see what happens. The Préfecture is an hour's drive away and there are always horrendous queues......

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:59 pm 

I was done for speeding twice in our first 6 months here. Each time, I was deducted a point, at no time did anyone see me and ask me to change my license.

I have a photocard license and I cannot be contacted at the UK address shown on it, so it seems to me that I should change it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:20 pm 

OOH where did that go?

I posted to say.

We changed our permits when we got here, and on the whole this has been appreciated by the plod, although the same b*****d who complimented me nicked me a week later!!

But I do have to ask why after 13 yrs why not?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:27 pm 
Site Admin

stoffy wrote:
But I do have to ask why after 13 yrs why not?

It hasn't been necessary! However, my licence is up for renewal next year, and as I need a French permit for work, I will probably change it within the foreseeable future !

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:49 pm 

I tried to change my licence in my first year here (2003) but the
prefecture said it wasn't worth it and the Gendarmes would ask
me to change it when I got my first amande.
OK I thought and, being British, continued speeding.
About 18 months ago I got flashed by a camera and as my car
was by now French registered decided it was time to change.
DVLA (don't ask which floor - I spoke to all 15) told me my UK
licence was cancelled in 2004 as they had been advised by the
prefecture de la Nièvre that I had a French licence.

I made the mistake of smiling for the photo the first time :)
I now have a French licence, but it wasn't easy,

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:55 pm 

opalette wrote:
I thought that would probably be the case, but I'll wait and see what happens. The Préfecture is an hour's drive away and there are always horrendous queues......

We downloaded the form and sent the requested photocopies, stamped addressed envelope and UK licence to the prefecture by post. The new French licence came back by post 3 or 4 weeks later.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:01 pm 

Beware of UK card type licences if you want to hire a car. Here in Switzerland, and perhaps elsewhere, they will not issue a car without the paper licence to check on fines, etc.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:05 pm 
Swissie wrote:
Beware of UK card type licences if you want to hire a car. Here in Switzerland, and perhaps elsewhere, they will not issue a car without the paper licence to check on fines, etc.

Yes, that happened to me in Ireland. But you always get a paper part to go with the card; you just have to remember to carry it with you.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm 

I have twice been in a queue at Geneva airport, with people in front of me arguing like crazy, as they had paid for the car and were refused a rental as they didn't have the paper bit. One lady was in tears, with 3 kids in tow - so be warned. Terrible way to ruin a holiday.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:32 pm 

edythuk wrote:

We downloaded the form and sent the requested photocopies, stamped addressed envelope and UK licence to the prefecture by post. The new French licence came back by post 3 or 4 weeks later.

And the link to this form is.......ou?
:D

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:51 pm 
Site Admin

edythuk wrote:

That's interesting, Edythuk ! I spoke to someone in the licence department at our Prefecture and asked him about doing it by downloading and post and he said that it couldn't be done. He also said that if I came in and did everything there, that it would only take about a week.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:54 am 

Kathy wrote:
I was done for speeding twice in our first 6 months here. Each time, I was deducted a point, at no time did anyone see me and ask me to change my license.

Same here. It's all done automatically. The trick is keeping track of your points and when you're due to get them back (after 2 years I think). There are plenty of French people who apparently don't keep count, and then find one day they've used up all their "credit" and become licenceless :o

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:53 am 

I'm in the same position as MAD and Kathy, I was caught last September and deducted a point. I still have my UK licence with my last address on it (a flat I rented for 9 months). I have the form to apply for a French licence and will sort it out when I get back from the UK at the end of September.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:44 am 

MAD87 wrote:
Kathy wrote:

Same here. It's all done automatically. The trick is keeping track of your points and when you're due to get them back (after 2 years I think). There are plenty of French people who apparently don't keep count, and then find one day they've used up all their "credit" and become licenceless :o

Do we have to ask for the points back then?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 9:45 am 

Blaze and Kathy
Sorry I was wrong about downloading the form. It's a while ago now but I remember what happened. I read somewhere that it could be done so I went to our prefecture website (Aude) and when I couldn't find the form I just emailed them and asked for a form to change my driving licence to a French one as I permanently live in France. They posted me a form and a list of what to send, which included a stamped addressed envelope, photos etc. There was also a form for a doctor to sign if I wanted any categories other than car/motorbike. I photocopied my UK licence to carry around as I had to send the original to them.
I received the new French licence in 3 or 4 weeks.
It was very straightforward and stress free and - no queues.
It doesn't mean your prefecture will do the same though I realise. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:08 am 

stoffy wrote:
MAD87 wrote:
Kathy wrote:

No - they'll send you a letter (v.imortant to keep!) telling you you've done your time. Or you can do a repentant sinner "stage" (course) to get the points back more quickly. Costsabomb.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:17 am 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
stoffy wrote:
MAD87 wrote:
Kathy wrote:

In my case no, (only one point lost) after one year its put back, and a letter is sent saying that its been restored on your permis, also after 3 years (dateing from the time the fine was paid) without any other point/s being lost, the record of you having lost a point/s is removed from the records, and a letter is sent to you stateing the fact that you have a full clean permis

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:37 pm 

We have decided to change our U.K. licences for French licences so today we looked carefully at our U.K. licences and have had a nasty shock! Both of our licences ran out ( the pink card with photograph ) in January this year! The paper part of the licences however, run out in 2018 and 2022 respectively ( when we reach 70.) We no longer have a U.K. address so can't update the licences before applying for the French equivalents. If we go to the prefecture will they refuse to exchange our licences as they appear to be no longer valid? Has this happened to anyone else? Hopefully, someone here will have good advice as to the best thing to do. Help!!!

Many thanks,

Sue ( in a bit of a panic! )

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 7:07 pm 
Site Admin

The pink card with the photo has to be renewed every 10 years because of the photo.
I would check with DVLA first before applying to change to a French licence.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:14 pm 
I have also lost one point for being slightly over the speed limit but nobody ever asked for my driving licence. I renewed my UK licence when I was living there last year as I was approaching 70, but I will change to a French licence in three years because UK licences have to be renewed every three years after the age of 70 and French licences don't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 8:30 pm 

I don't have a photocard, only the original paper licence. Is that acceptable in France?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:09 pm 

Blaze wrote:
The pink card with the photo has to be renewed every 10 years because of the photo.
I would check with DVLA first before applying to change to a French licence.

Hi Blaze,

That seems like a very sensible idea! Think we'll ring DVLA tomorrow before heading for the prefecture, which was our first idea. Trying to stop the panic but we don't want to end up in France without a valid licence for either country.

Sue

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:54 pm 
abeille wrote:
I don't have a photocard, only the original paper licence. Is that acceptable in France?

I have one of those, torn, shabby, hardly readable, I'm sure next time I unfold it it will fall apart yet totally legal according to the prefecture :-bd .

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:19 am 

Balham wrote:
abeille wrote:

I have one of those, torn, shabby, hardly readable, I'm sure next time I unfold it it will fall apart yet totally legal according to the prefecture :-bd .

It depends on which type of original paper licence it is. The green ones are, I believe, strictly speaking not valid for permenent use in Europe (holidays are OK). The later pink ones with an EU roundel are valid.

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with the old green ones, but you never know.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:39 pm 

The rule to change your driving licence when moving to different EU countries was rescinded many years ago on an EU directive We now have Dutch licenses as we moved there while the rule was still in place and can now renew them even with a French address.

You are supposed to give the licensing authorities your current address.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:10 pm 

It looks as if you can get any licence you like from here http://www.registeredabroad.com/eu/en/index.html . Not that I would suggest that you should!

I have a pink/green U.K. licence and it is perfectly legal here and will be either until I reach 70 or do something very stupid. At which time I will have to get a French one.

I may just see about doing that anyway as my 70 is not that far away anyway :-?

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1