It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:05 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Towbars?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:49 pm 

Would like a towbar for my vehicle, Toyota want nearly 900€, have tried at local garages and Hyper markets etc but no luck, can get one sent from uk but the wiring could be a problem, any ideas? Thanks Spec

Post subject: Re: Towbars?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:26 pm 

Mine for the Renault came from Italy via the UK. Complete with a wiring diagram but I still needed the Haynes to figure it. Removable all for just over £100 (fit yourself of course)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:09 pm 

This may or may not be useful to you in 16, but I have got a young man here, German born but brought to France at age 2, who speaks very good English and is a qualified auto-electrician.

He even worked out the, unfamiliar to him, aspects of 2nd line (12S) electrics and installed it for me while disparaging the work previously done by English experts. (He did not approve of the practice of connecting a reverse light line from one reverse light on the car)

He transferred the gas/electric interior heater from one caravan to another, inventing and fabricating the best installation and support system, interior lights and even fed the lot through a fuse board complete with cut-off switch and spare fuse places (all marked clearly).

My only previous experience with a French auto-electrician, when asked to install a split charger for the caravan battery, was to have him say, 'I don't understand that', after which he told me to put the battery on charge after every trip. :o

So, if you are prepared to come all or half way to the north of the Dordogne, I would recommend buying the UK system you mentioned. :| The wiring would not be a problem.

He is not expensive either. :-?

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:33 pm 

On purchasing our citreon c4 i asked the price of a towing hitch €500 was the responcs.
Research showed I could buy one here for €130 with easy instructions to fit it myself.
The wiring is already there in the boot it only needs the wire to the plug, only slight problem could be the white wire which isn't fused so needs the proper connection.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:45 pm 

I recently bought a towbar, which came with the necessary electrics and excellent fitting instructions, from France Attelage, for about €120.

My electrical installation was quite straightforward, as my car predates the CAN bus system, and I used compression connectors to splice into the original wires rather than the quick splice ones supplied, which I don't like, and which were of poor quality anyway.

If your vehicle was made after about 2001 you cannot simply connect the wires for the towbar socket to the vehicle wiring. You will need an electronic box, which can be supplied with the towbar you choose, which is installed between the vehicle electrical system and the socket.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:27 pm 

RogerFox wrote:

If your vehicle was made after about 2001 you cannot simply connect the wires for the towbar socket to the vehicle wiring. You will need an electronic box, which can be supplied with the towbar you choose, which is installed between the vehicle electrical system and the socket.

Yes, that's what my young friend Hannes said, and he did it accordingly.

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:38 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks for the information, Roger Fox - we will probably need to get a tow bar when we change one of our cars (and it will probably be more recent than 2001 !). It sounds fearfully expensive going through a garage - we were fortunate that our two old cars already had them fitted.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:52 am 

Thanks for the replies, Its a new vehicle so it has to have a dedicated wiring loom, my hobby in the old days was the restoration, and customization of motorbikes and cars, and I have fitted many towbars, so I do have the knowledge and experience, at the moment because of our situation I would prefer to sit this one out and watch someone else to fit it, will check the French website, thanks. Spec

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:19 am 

Have a look on YouTube. Explain dedicated wiring loom? The manufacturer knows this as they have to comply with regs for different countries and in order to conform will ship a new kit with the required parts if asked. This is not the 1970's kits we made up ourselves, these come with a certificate of conformity.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:00 pm 

Vehicle wiring systems are now very complicated and sensitive, they use a Multiflex system, if you just wire in a trailer as we did in the old days, that will effect some if not all of the driver "Aides" fitted to the vehicle, mine is top of the range and has radar, front and rear cameras, trailer sway control, traction control, LED lights, etc etc etc, a dedicated wired system is specific to my model, and should not effect any of the electrics when fitted, some models still have to go back to the main dealers for a re-program, things have moved on, so now we are driving a big computer, with an engine :shock: Spec

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:38 pm 

Spectrum2 wrote:
Vehicle wiring systems are now very complicated and sensitive, they use a Multiflex system, if you just wire in a trailer as we did in the old days, that will effect some if not all of the driver "Aides" fitted to the vehicle, mine is top of the range and has radar, front and rear cameras, trailer sway control, traction control, LED lights, etc etc etc, a dedicated wired system is specific to my model, and should not effect any of the electrics when fitted, some models still have to go back to the main dealers for a re-program, things have moved on, so now we are driving a big computer, with an engine :shock: Spec

Fair enough, I know of these systems, I obviously can't speak for all but when I was shopping for mine there was a black box option to safely instal into one of the complicated vehicles.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:54 pm 

Teapot wrote:
Fair enough, I know of these systems, I obviously can't speak for all but when I was shopping for mine there was a black box option to safely instal into one of the complicated vehicles.

Yes that's correct, I have found that Feu Vert could be a possibility, however online they have my vehicle as a Mk3, when its a Mk8 :-s .

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:02 pm 

If your car is still under warranty you may be obliged to have the towbar fitted by the agent, as the warranty may be voided otherwise, as it also involves adjustments to the engine's running characteristics via the ECU, and, in some case, provision of extra cooling.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2018 2:06 pm 

RogerFox wrote:
If your car is still under warranty you may be obliged to have the towbar fitted by the agent, as the warranty may be voided otherwise, as it also involves adjustments to the engine's running characteristics via the ECU, and, in some case, provision of extra cooling.

Good point, I have never heard of this and the towbar and wiring loom is EU certified but will check, Spec