It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:57 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Car insurance for only 1 day or 1 small trip?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:42 am 

Hello,

Is it possible to insure my car for only one day or one short trip?   I don't want to purchase a whole month, when I only need to move the car from my house garage to a friend's house about 50km away.

The car is currently parked with no insurance inside my house garage. I want to move it to my friend's house, so he can sell it for me.

(I am a French citizen and resident, although I don't speak French very well. That's why I am asking for help here.)

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Car insurance for only 1 day or 1 small trip?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:41 pm 

hstraf wrote:
Hello,

Is it possible to insure my car for only one day or one short trip?   I don't want to purchase a whole month, when I only need to move the car from my house garage to a friend's house about 50km away.

The car is currently parked with no insurance inside my house garage. I want to move it to my friend's house, so he can sell it for me.

(I am a French citizen and resident, although I don't speak French very well. That's why I am asking for help here.)

Thanks!

Can't say whether that is possible or not, but I would bet that it isn't because you are already in breach of the law by not having it insured in your garage. The same would apply on your friend's premises.

This law has been discussed before as it affected me when I took a 3 wheel van off the road. My insurers pointed it out to me but made no further comment when I declined to continue with the insurance.

If you are willing to take the, it appears to me, small risk, then my advice would be to transfer the car on a trailer.

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:24 pm 
Site Admin

Spardo's suggestion of putting the car on a trailer could well work out to be cheaper than trying to insure a vehicle for a day.

Service-public.fr gives you the ins and outs of insuring a vehicle ... or not, as the case may be.
https://www.service-public.fr/particuliers/vosdroits/F23499

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:52 pm 

+1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 am 

Whether any laws are being broken (and which) depends whether the car is French registered or not.

If not French registered then the law says that you cannot sell it in France.

If it's foreign registered then you should be able to take out normal annual insurance for it but which the insurer themselves will cancel if you do not French register it in a timely fashion, usually two months but sometimes as little as one.

Even with insurance though you would still need a CT to drive it on the road.

If it is French registered then to sell it the law requires it have a less than 6 month old CT.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:56 am 

ErnieY wrote:

If it is French registered then to sell it the law requires it have a less than 6 month old CT.

Yes but there are ways round this, perhaps not legal, but within the spirit. When I bought my Partner the seller said it had no CT but he would get it done before I came to collect it, and of course he would stand any costs involved.

It passed of course but with 2 notifications. The rear tyres were not the same make and there was a barely visible crack in the reversing light lense.

He presented me with a bottle of Bordeaux's finest as an apology for these minor, unseen, defects. As it was December and it did not have winter tyres, I replaced them all immediately anyway, and the crack remains. ;)

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:54 am 

ErnieY wrote:
If not French registered then the law says that you cannot sell it in France.

If it's foreign registered then you should be able to take out normal annual insurance for it

has anyone told the brits on Facebook?

If you want to play fast and loose, with UK insurance taken out on line you have 14 days to cancel it, just sayin :YMDEVIL: