It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:51 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Peugeot Partner Automatic Puzzle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:09 pm 

Bit of a stressful day yesterday, but, in short:

Was forced to reverse with the caravan (less than 500 kg) for 150 metres up a steep hill.

At that point there was a bang and the engine stalled. tried again, same result.

Tried to move forward, horrible noises from gearbox so stopped immediately and phoned assistance.

3 hours later depanneur arrived tried to move the car, backward, forwards, both ok. Drove round the block still ok, so I signed him off.

Went round to Peugeot dealer, described everything to the mechanic, he said if there is no noise and it rolls ok, then it's ok.

Just driven 800 kms home, with caravan, no noise, no problems.

Any thoughts? Could the extended reverse under load have caused a (temporary :YMPRAY: ) problem?

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

Post subject: Re: Peugeot Partner Automatic Puzzle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:45 pm 

Just a guess - but if it was a steep hill, is it possible oil in the gearbox wasn't going where it should - perhaps exacerbated if the oil level was already slightly low?

Maybe get level checked at next service?

J

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:20 pm 

niemeyjt wrote:
Just a guess - but if it was a steep hill, is it possible oil in the gearbox wasn't going where it should - perhaps exacerbated if the oil level was already slightly low?

Maybe get level checked at next service?

J

Oil level in the gearbox ? Or is it shared with the engine? Surely checked at each service (by Peugeot agency)?
In any case it is only a week out of last service and I am most particular to make sure it doesn't pass the 20,000 mark.

It definitely sounded terminal, but a few hours later it all sounded fine. Really bizarre.

I think I'll go to them tomorrow and ask the same questions. Bad enough being broken down, but 800 kms from home, a nightmare.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:35 pm 

Sometimes gearboxes are "sealed for life". Other times the interval between checks is wider than for an engine.

Very much doubt it is shared - the oils have very different characteristics.

J

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:17 am 

The oil is very different for auto gearboxes, or it was, :| It was called TQF and is pink in colour, its the same type found in power steering pumps or it was :) If you heard a bang it may not have come from the car, it could have stalled because the gearbox oil overheated, which can happen pulling large caravans, or pushing small ones up hills in reverse, if the dealer say its ok then see how it goes, I don't know if your van has an overheat warning light, if it came on, you may not have seen it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:45 am 

Spectrum2 wrote:
The oil is very different for auto gearboxes, or it was, :| It was called TQF and is pink in colour, its the same type found in power steering pumps or it was :) If you heard a bang it may not have come from the car, it could have stalled because the gearbox oil overheated, which can happen pulling large caravans, or pushing small ones up hills in reverse, if the dealer say its ok then see how it goes, I don't know if your van has an overheat warning light, if it came on, you may not have seen it.

This rings a bell for me. 40 odd years ago I had a Granada auto and kept getting trouble with the gearbox. The oil was pink but turned to a paler frothy colour from time to time.

Turned out it was overheating because a previous owner had by-passed the pipe through the radiator after a leak. So it wasn't being cooled.

I think you may have hit the nail, I will put that theory to my Peugeot garage today, but it seems that I must avoid such overloads in future.

Thanks to you both for the helpful info.