It is currently Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: New Speed Limits coming
PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:18 pm 

wilbro wrote:
The main benefit is for the HGV drivers and long haul and it is here where the "benefits" of cheating are more apparent.

You're right, but my support of their introduction was for the benefits of not being forced to cheat.

I well remember an early driving job I had where the current joke was that the boss would only pay 23 and a half hours per day - because he didn't believe any driver would go without his dinner :o .

A joke, of course, but you can guess the reason behind it. We carried whisky on flat bed lorries, roped and sheeted, and if, exhausted, we pulled into a lay by to get some sleep, the police would move us on to get the 'risk' off their patch.

Tachos didn't put an end to all of that, there would always be some who found ways to cheat the system, but they went a long way to back up those of us who wanted to do the job properly.

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:22 pm 

The result of lowering the limit by 10KM adds an hour to my 6.5hr journey so will I be more dangerous tired than at 10km faster?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:27 pm 

niemeyjt wrote:

Sorry - yes, dashcams. As you say - privacy. Was looking at some of the Swiss Dashcam Youtube footage (pretty mild stuff) with a colleague (Swiss) and he said even recording unblurred plates and faces is illegal - not when they are played on Youtube.

J

I could never understand that, after all, faces, house numbers and number plates are already in the public domain, out on the street.

As a mod on the largest UK lorry drivers' forum I was severely censured by the owners for disagreeing with a proposal to blur all number plates of vehicles posted on the forum.

Apparently they got carried away with themselves and actually uttered the phrase 'collective responsibility'. I immediately resigned of course, although it was 3 months before they accepted the fact even though I ceased my daily perusal of my sections straight away. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:34 pm 

Teapot wrote:
With the development of autonomous vehicles all the tachos and dashcams could be consigned to history. Hopefully then we can get rid of speed humps.

Amen to that. :ymapplause:

It was a particularly vicious speed bump in Auxerre which put the final nail in the coffin of my classic 1972 Eriba Puck. I was doing 'a piece to camera' as they say at the time, updating a video diary, and the phrase that I uttered was clearly on the recording - and it wasn't the name of the caravan. X(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:37 pm 

Teapot wrote:
With the development of autonomous vehicles all the tachos and dashcams could be consigned to history. Hopefully then we can get rid of speed humps.

Do you think so? I am not so sure. As they will be sharing the road with standard cars I would imagine they record what happens as a CYA.

J

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:33 pm 

Of course they will share the same road for a while, there will be a transition period but older cars will be legislated off the roads just as is occurring now beginning with cities.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:07 am 

So France is lowering the limit to 80, whilst in Denmark they upped it from 80 to 90 and accidents were educed by 13%, seen on TF1, why? well they said that there was less congestion.
I very mush doubt if he lower limit will reduce accidents here with the way French drivers behave.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:27 am 

It certainly won't change here as the locals all know where the speed cameras are and watch their speed as they drive past then floor the accelerator. As already mentioned the main problems stem from what appears to be an inbuilt belief that nothing is coming the other way on blind corners, tailgating, indicators (what are they?), not giving way, driving straddling the white line etc. etc.

It will be interesting to see the stats. after a year or so.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:44 pm 

wilbro wrote:

It will be interesting to see the stats. after a year or so.

That as they say is the money question. The 10km speed reduction doesn't add much to the thinking time and when the car behind is right up your backside there is none thinking or time.