It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: The Seed Exchange
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 6:57 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
This is the place to post if you have any seeds to swap or you are after any seeds

EDIT:: I think that the best way to run a seed swap, would be for members to post either a seeds wanted post or a seeds available post, and then make contact with members who have seeds available, via the PM system : PLEASE DO NOT, post personal details (e-mail address, phone number etc) on the open forum, the moderators reserve the right to remove such details, for the members security only, sorry to sound big brotherish

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

Post subject: Re: The Seed Exchange
PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:57 pm 

Great idea Peake.

I'd like some broad bean seeds and runner beans (climbing). I'll have to have a sort through my tin to see what I have in exchange.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 9:48 pm 

I'm looking for butternut squash seeds. But maybe I don't need to ask. Does anyone know if I can just take the seeds from the butternuts I buy? And if so, what do I do with them? Cheers Sue

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:21 pm 

Hi Sue, I'll have a sort-out tomorrow if it's not too wet, but it would be worth trying seeds from a bought squash as well. If they're not F1 hybrid, the plants will come true.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:46 pm 

Our wysteria (white flowers) has had a large number of seed pods this year, many of which have been successfully germinated by friends, but we still have a few left. The seed pods are still on the plant and are large and possibly difficult to send, but they are available if anyone wants them. I will harvest the remainder tomorrow!! I'm not quite sure how many seeds are still OK, but will check!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 11:46 am 

SPJ wrote:
I'm looking for butternut squash seeds. But maybe I don't need to ask. Does anyone know if I can just take the seeds from the butternuts I buy? And if so, what do I do with them? Cheers Sue

Many plants of the Cucurbitaceae family will cross fertilise with each other (complicated but depends on the genus), and it is possible that the seeds of your butternut have been cross fertilised with some other squash / pumpkin of the same genus, and you would get a different type of fruit. However as commercial growers are unlikely to plant different varieties in close proximity this is a small risk - and anyway whatever fruit you got would be edible (possibly an improvement?) Remove any flesh from the seeds, wipe and allow to dry off a bit (so they dont get mouldy in the soil) The seeds need warmth to germinate as the squash originated in Mexico. I usually start mine in April in my sunporch placing the seed on its side just under the compost in individual small pots. Once the seeds germinate, the plants grow quickly and are usually ready to plant out within 3 or 4 weeks so time your planting to when the temp outside are likely to be suitable for tender plants. The squash vines get VERY big. If you "cure" your harvest well you can store the fruit in an airy dry frost free place all winter (I have used fruit the following summer and they have been quite edible)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:02 pm 

Inina thanks. I'll give them a go. The squash come from our local organic farm and are very good. :D

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:03 pm 

Susie I have some spare climbing beans but they are not runner beans they are climbing French Beans 'Blue Lake' they are stringless taste good and freeze well, in exchange I would like the more unusual herbs or scented flowers. sorry no spare Broad Beans.

This seed company is very good and cheap + if you spend £10 you get 5 free pkts (they are about the same price as Wilkinsons)
they are green too all info is on website not on seed pkts !
http://www.vegetableseeds.net/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:44 pm 

Does anybody want any climbing beans ? see the post above for info !!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:01 pm 

thanks Gilly for ours .......we are going to share with french pal Gilles as he says they are supurb