It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:40 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Maths site for kids
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:18 pm 

There is an excellent site to help kids with their maths, it is age related and goes from very little ones upto Seconde.

An added bonus, for Mums and Dads who's french is not too good, you can look at it in english too, but the methods are french :D :D

http://matoumatheux.ac-rennes.fr

I'll make this a sticky, so we can all find it when the next tricky homework arrives.

clare

Post subject: Re: Maths site for kids
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:53 pm 

My eldest used to be recommended to use http://mathenpoche.sesamath.net/ as extra to help her.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:49 pm 

Great websites. Thank you for sharing. Does anybody have any other similar sites.

Now will have to think of a way to persuade them to use them rather than Facebook and YouTube

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:11 pm 

Hello everybody !
In my opinion (is only an advice because I'm engineer and I love the maths) if you want that your child to learn maths, isn't a good idea to use a computer.
And is a worst idea if the computer have internet... for obvious reasons.

The best tools are a pen and a lot of paper !

Really the maths for children level are easy and any person can introduce the child in the wonderful word of the maths.
Only you must pay attention of the level of the problem and solve together common problems of the daily life.

E.g. you can use different objects (physically) to link the abstract word of maths with the world, such us: apples, carrots, oranges, etc. and your prices, we you go to the supermarket with your child.
So in the supermarket you child could take note of "the special items" that you need know "special" information. Not all the items that you buy.
Next, when you come back at house in the car, you can ask your child for the quantity of fruits and your partial cost.
The same as vegetables, cans, bottles, etc.
And in the house, you MUST see TOGETHER how your child solved the problem and improve any mistake.
It's important starting with very simple "special problems" in order to the child learn to link the a "abstract expression" with a physically meaning.
Xapples * prix_ one_apple + Yorange*prix_one_orange= Cost in fruits

Pay attention with products that you need know your weight to calculate the cost, or thinks like that.
In the supermarket there are a lot of posibilities and all family needs to go!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:14 pm 
Learning sums cropped up somewhere else, someone wanting to know how to . . . darts is a good way. Playing Blackjack (for the older children, though call it pontoon for them, next thing they be on to counting the cards).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:06 pm 
Site Admin

I know what you mean, GustavatoR - it's what my mother used to do when we were children.

I'm not an educationalist, so I may be talking out of the top of my head ! But I know that I learned best from practical teaching, i.e. hands on rather than being talked at.
You only have to watch how babies and toddlers play with toys, working out how to fit shapes into holes to see that they are very capable of working things out for themselves in their own time. It's teaching them to think for themselves at an early age.

I think Clarelouise's link looks good :-bd

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:57 am 

Balham wrote:
Learning sums cropped up somewhere else, someone wanting to know how to . . . darts is a good way. Playing Blackjack (for the older children, though call it pontoon for them, next thing they be on to counting the cards).

Sorry Balham, I'm not understand your english.
For the second part of the blackjack, I think that you see a lot of movies. Hahaha.
Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:13 am 

Blaze wrote:
I know what you mean, GustavatoR - it's what my mother used to do when we were children.

I'm not an educationalist, so I may be talking out of the top of my head ! But I know that I learned best from practical teaching, i.e. hands on rather than being talked at.
You only have to watch how babies and toddlers play with toys, working out how to fit shapes into holes to see that they are very capable of working things out for themselves in their own time. It's teaching them to think for themselves at an early age.

I think Clarelouise's link looks good :-bd

Your mother is wise !!!
Nice ;-)
Neither, I'm an educationist but is very clear for me that an machine isn't enough. I do logiciels and machines to live! LOL
Really this webs, can to help fathers to be more organized, but please... don't delegate much responsability in technology, the time and love of a good father/mother to oriented in the better way isn't reemplazable, I speak the maths but is for all the life ;-)

Have a good day