It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:09 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Orange billing scam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:51 am 

For the last couple of days we have had frequent disruption to our internet and phone connection via the Livebox.

I phoned the helpline yesterday, she tested the line and said it was indeed unstable. She arranged for a technician to call today and check out the problem.

She said that if the problem was with the Livebox, or outside the house, there would be no charge, but if within the house it would be billed at €69. I later got a text (because we had had to revert to my mobile because of the unstable phone line) confirming both the visit and the charge.

This morning I received a PDF, to the effect that I had been billed for €121 and that everything would be cut off if it was not paid, also that there would be no 2nd demand.

At first outraged, and then suspicious, not least because the pdf was headed 'votre ligne mobile orange' (which I don't have) but the bill was headed 'votre ligne fixe orange'.

I was tempted to cancel the visit because after the call yesterday I disconnected everything from the wall. then reconnected, after which there has been no break.

So, I rang the helpline again, the line was tested and adjudged to be still unstable so we kept to the arrangement for the visit this afternoon, and she then transferred me to the commercial department. They checked and could find no bill for €121, only the variable monthly ones of around €35, so we agreed it must be a scam.

I have deleted everything from the computer and will not be paying the bill. Fingers crossed that is the end of the matter.

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

Post subject: Re: Orange billing scam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:27 pm 

Good job I didn't cancel the visit. The man came and, after a lot of head scratching we eventually found the entry point into the house of the telephone line, changed from overhead when they built the lotissement opposite over 20 years ago (how was I supposed to remember that?).

Turns out that the phone socket inside, which I thought had been by-passed when we extended the building, was the cause of the problem. This was because after we started to use the new point in the new building, an attempt by me to use the old socket as an extension failed.

Anyway, tested at 1 meg when he arrived the internet speed is now 5 :o Result.

Fixed and much faster, that has got to be worth 69 euros. :)

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

Post subject: Re: Orange billing scam
PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:31 pm 
Site Admin

I'd happily shell out €69 to speed my internet up 5 times. Then I'd call them back and ask them to do it again the following week! And possibly the week after... :D