It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:42 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: What router for Orange wifi?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 12:39 pm 

Our second-home-owning clients using the Orange 'decouverte' internet contract are being told to return their liveboxes when I suspend the service for the winter. In previous years most have been told 'ok, no problem, just keep the box for next year'. This year all bar two have been told to return the box, which is a damn nuisance as it means next Spring I'll have to collect & set up new boxes, and change all the 'house notes' files with the new log-in details. Plus if the girl at the point relais is being fussy she won't issue the parcels containing the liveboxes unless I have a copy of the i.d. of the person whose phone line it is - the order code on paper and on my mobile won't suffice. Sigh.
Previously I've always recommended that clients rent the livebox at 3€/month rather than supply a router, as if it goes BANG in a storm Orange will replace it FOC and usually pretty quickly. Important when houses are let to paying guests.
Some clients are now thinking of buying a router. As it'll be down to me to get and install one, and I'm not that au fait with these things, can anyone tell me what I should be looking for in terms of a basic box for wifi use?
We're talking basic services, none of the clients get superfast broadband by any means, none will have fibre optique for the forseeable future.

Post subject: Re: What router for Orange wifi?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:33 pm 

If you want to future proof the investment, even if they are not using fibre now, maybe get a fibre-capable box from the outset if the prices are similar?

To this end, look for systems supporting VDSL* as well as ADSL. Having said that, there are ways to get many ADSL routers working with fibre (one of which I am using at home in UK) - but it will cost more in the long run.

Manufacturers seem to be a mixed bag. I use Draytek in UK at present - but would not say they were brilliant and would not be my choice on a budget. There are cheaper and equally reliable systems out there. I have TP-Link cards in PCs and they seem an equally good make as did the Linksys we had in Qatar. The Dreytek we have was previously used in France 2 years ago on ADSL.

Buy in France unless you are happy going into admin mode on the boxes and reconfiguring the preconfigured VPI and VCI (UK = 0/38 and France = 8/35). Having said that, you should really go into admin mode and change the default passwords anyway.

Only other thought - does the Livebox include a socket for phones to make calls over the Internet - and if so would you/they need it?

Also, if all your clients can be persuaded to use the same make and model, then buy one extra and keep it yourself as a spare for storm damage etc?

HTH

J

*VDSL = Very-high-bit-rate digital subscriber line - the so-called fibre which actually uses the same phone lines into the house, but takes fibre only to the local cabinet (hence its other name FTTC - fibre to the cabinet).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 1:43 pm 

I they use the VOIP features on the Orange router, then there is no alternative.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:28 pm 

Thanks, Dave