It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:24 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Is the law banning earsets/headsets in force?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 8:27 am 

Or was it a barmy idea in Hollande's mind that never came to fruition?

I ask because after buying my bog standard mobile recently I was surprised to find that it was bluetooth compatible.

So, on returning from an English trip the other day I called in for a sandwich at Toddington and wandered into a small phone shop there.

The man was very helpful and, after ably demonstrating its talents, sold me a bluetooth earpiece which has turned out to be a real boon.

I fit it in my right ear so further from the view of passing gendarmes and quickly whipped it off on seeing the gendarmes following me the other day (they can't see me from behind because of the darkened windows and, often, the caravan).

The man at Toddington also showed me another device which clips to the visor and apparently 'pairs' with my (non-bluetooth) radio to project sound from the car speakers, but he couldn't demonstrate the unit's own speaker's quality so I declined to buy.

Should I be worried, or should I continue to search?

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

Post subject: Re: Is the law banning earsets/headsets in force?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:06 am 
Site Admin

This government site covers the subject well : As you will see, bluetooth earpieces are interdits

Au 1er juillet 2015 : interdiction de porter tout dispositif susceptible d'émettre du son à l'oreille en conduisant ou à vélo
http://www.securite-routiere.gouv.fr/connaitre-les-regles/reglementation-et-sanctions/telephone

What is authorised :
En voiture, utilitaire, poids lourd... : dispositif intégré au véhicule which I think would cover what your man in the shop was proposing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:27 am 
Site Admin

That should be plastered at suitable points on the roadsides. It does my head in just how many people are still driving whilst having a phone stuck to their heads. It seems logical to not have earsets/headsets banned too, as it distances your awareness from the world around you. I've overtaken a cyclist (just a normal one, not one suited up in lycra etc.!), and he had no idea of my existence until I was level with him.

What about walkers blasting their ears off, then not hearing traffic behind them? I get annoyed when OH is working with his earsets in, and he can't me trying to say something to him ..... although, that's probably the whole idea!! :lol: :lol: 8-|

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:37 am 
Site Admin

From my link :
Quote:
Téléphoner en conduisant détourne obligatoirement l'attention, "kit mains-libres" ou pas. L'usage du téléphone portable au volant multiplie par 3 le risque d'accident.

Sadly, people are more interested in using their mobile phones than they are about road safety :(

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 10:09 am 

Thank you Blaze for the info.

In my case Bayleaf, this is not a headset, just one earset in one ear and I can perfectly well hear what else is going on around me. It is so comfortable that I have even left it on in the house and garden (up to 10 metres) in order not to carry the mobile around with me and it does not affect normal conversation at all.

I have looked online for the one that connects wirelessly to my radio speakers but haven't been convinced with the answers yet. If I find one I will buy it but still keep this earpiece for when out of the car.

I agree with you about the full headsets, but really this little thing is no more distracting than a radio programme (I rarely have the radio on) music, or another passenger talking to me.

Once they ban all those things too ;) I will begin to recognise that there may be something in this law. :|

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:55 pm 

Spardo wrote:

I have looked online for the one that connects wirelessly to my radio speakers but haven't been convinced with the answers yet. If I find one I will buy it but still keep this earpiece for when out of the car.

Finally got an acceptable answer on Amazon, a Bluetooth kit which clips to the visor, connects wirelessly to both mobile and car radio, and relays phone calls through the stereo speakers.

And at £39 way cheaper than the super dooper one that is in my friend's Volvo in the UK. B-)

It arrives Friday, will report back after evaluation. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Tha sounds as if it could be the answer, Spardo :-bd Let's hope it works !!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:42 pm 

Blaze wrote:

What is authorised :
En voiture, utilitaire, poids lourd... : dispositif intégré au véhicule which I think would cover what your man in the shop was proposing.

Yes, I think, I hope, so, but it depends how they interpret the word 'integre'. 'Built in' is not exactly the same as 'attached to' which is what this is.

However as a precaution, as I always drive with the visors down (because that is where my printed directions are and how I prefer the reduction of light), and this will always be fixed to the back of it, it will be easy enough to be flipped up out of sight if necessary. 8-|

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:23 pm 

Hi David

Below is a link to a device that I bought to work with the car radio in my old land rover. I connect my phone via Bluetooth and it works perfectly well, including receiving calls and I am very happy with it - I realise it’s too late for you as you have already ordered but someone else may be considering such a device.

I had a few teething problems at first finding a frequency whilst on long journeys as one that was clear at that moment starts to pick up a station perhaps 50KM down the road. I got round that by keeping the car radio aerial down.

I have it tuned in to FM 88.2 and that seems an ideal setting on the car radio. I had no problems whilst driving from here in south west France to Calais and then a large area of south east England.

I also found that keeping the device close to the car radio is slightly better than clipping it on the visor. I have a USB cable plugged into it, so that I can pop it into the cigar lighter socket for charging from time to time.

I hope that your purchase works well.

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00QKTU8U2/ref ... 91_TE_dp_1

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:46 pm 

Yes, I saw one or two like that but was adamant that I didn't want it plugged into the socket. I have already far too much stuff cluttering up my car, GPS, dash cam, camcorder and tripod and even with a 3 socket adapter still need the cigar llighter from time to time to charge my phone.

I did wonder about the need to find another FM signal from time to time but thought that, as none of the 150 or so feedbackers mentioned it, it couldn't be much of a problem. I still have the unit's own speaker but won't know till I use it if that is loud enough. The reason I am going for this is because my new mobile, though louder than anything I've had before, is not loud enough to comfortably hold a conversation from its holder on the dash (one more thing in the way 8-| )

Thanks for the thought though, on verra. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:53 pm 

Nobody needs to make or take calls when driving and the harsher the penalties for doing so the better in my book.

The only thing I need a phone for when in the car is to call for help if I break down (never happened yet).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:00 pm 
Site Admin

I agree, Ernie. If anyone needs to make or take a call, all they have to do is pull over at the next convenient stopping place.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:41 pm 

Which is exactly what I have done up to now, but time is not always available, thus the need for a safe way to take important information.

Anybody who says that it is unsafe to do that should never have another person in the car with them or listen to a radio.

Of course it's distracting, as are speed bumps, multiple and partly hidden signs, but imposing harsh penalties and banning them all would just make the whole economy grind to a halt.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 4:53 am 

Spardo wrote:
imposing harsh penalties and banning them all would just make the whole economy grind to a halt.
Really, you think so, that dramatic an effect huh :-o

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:31 am 

ErnieY wrote:
Spardo wrote:
imposing harsh penalties and banning them all would just make the whole economy grind to a halt.
Really, you think so, that dramatic an effect huh :-o

Banning all distractions to driving certainly would.

Why on earth do you pick on a voice from a radio speaker as the worst of all possible worlds when driving a car? Bizarre.

I take it that you have never had a wife, or kids, or at least never taken them anywhere, Ernie?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:51 am 
Site Admin

The majority of mobile phone users do not use a hands-free integrated system in their cars, which is the only acceptable way in the eyes of the law.

Whatever excuse people choose to use does not change the fact that the minute they grab their mobile phone, their attention/concentration is not on the road and they become a danger to other road users. If a call is important, the caller should leave a message and the driver should stop at the earliest opportunity.

It's bad enough putting up with the distractions of a mobile phone in day to day life - I cannot count the number of times has a conversation been interrupted because the person I was talking to has looked at or answered his mobile phone. People today are so attached to their mobiles that their concentration level has become in many cases rather shallow. They are probably only half-concentrating on whatever it is they are doing because they must keep an ear out in case that all-important call comes in. It's worse than having a nagging child when you're trying to have a discussion.

This sort of person behind the wheel of a car is far more of a danger than speed bumps - which are more effective in slowing people down than signs, which are often ignored !

Ah, yes, screaming kids in the back of a car ...... a nightmare, and a real test of concentration for a driver !

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:18 am 
Site Admin

Spardo wrote:
I have already far too much stuff cluttering up my car, GPS, dash cam, camcorder and tripod and even with a 3 socket adapter still need the cigar llighter from time to time to charge my phone.

So do I - it's called my phone, it does all of that and more, and as a result doesn't clutter up the car!

I messed around with FM radio transmitters for a while but found that as soon as you went very far you'd be up against a radio station transmitting on your chosen frequencies, whatever they were. Fortunately my car still has a cassette player (hence no Bluetooth!) so I use a cassette adaptor for music, internet radio, GPS and hands-free phone calls through the car speakers.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:10 pm 

Spardo wrote:
Which is exactly what I have done up to now, but time is not always available, thus the need for a safe way to take important information.

I am intrigues as to what sort of important information is too important to wait a couple of minutes until you find a safe place to stop.

Before retiring I worked in a pressure job and I never had a call that could not have waited a few minutes. In fact the company decided that taking calls when driving was a sackable offence (on safety grounds) - not even with hands free systems and Bluetooth.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 11:23 am 

thelastoneout wrote:
Spardo wrote:

I am intrigues as to what sort of important information is too important to wait a couple of minutes until you find a safe place to stop.

Before retiring I worked in a pressure job and I never had a call that could not have waited a few minutes. In fact the company decided that taking calls when driving was a sackable offence (on safety grounds) - not even with hands free systems and Bluetooth.

The trouble is Andy, I don't know what is important till I take the call. As to the 2 minutes (or more on an autoroute at my speed) stopping is exactly what I used to do. However, if you have multiple calls coming in, as I have, all that stopping, replying (if necessary), and re-starting soon eats up the time.

On a recent trip from Avignon to Reims, I was plagued by calls from both ends demanding progress and could I do it all in one go? I couldn't, too far without a/route use, and they had all been told that, but it doesn't stop them doing it, and me losing large amounts of time.

The Reims trip btw, became a handover at Troyes in the middle of the night, when the adopter rang me after I had parked up for the night and offered to pay if I used the a/route. I did, but I won't again, I ate first (without wine X( ) and then continued. At a lonely peage he was waiting - with his credit card. X( X(

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:08 pm 

David

I sympathise having been in similar situations myself. I think you might sypathiose and have been on another leg of such demands.

Customer claims he "forgot" to place his order and now needs urgent delivery 700km away by 15:00 tomorrow (more likely had a better price offer from the competition who cannot now deliver). Customer service ask for a rush delivery. Informed this will cost them x'000€ excess, which we are told the customer will pay (yeh right, like every other time I have heard that and never seen any evidence of an invoice price above the average).

Next morning urgent call from customer to ask where the delivery is. He is informed and delivery before 15:00 is confirmed.
To be followed by requests for updates every hour and then every 45 minutes. Then I told the customer service agent that I would give no more updates. Every time they requested one it slowed the driver down ( a lie because the haulier had GPS, but I needed to stop the nonsense) and I would report back if and only if there was going to be a delay that might cause the truck to arrive after the promised delivery time.

End result no more calls and delivery just after 14:00.

So I do sympathise with your position, BUT I would ask, if you had not answered the phone for 20 minutes, would any person or animal have been harmed? Would any company have gone bust? Would Phoenix have ground to a halt?

I think you have to take a sense of proportion. Tell Phoenix that you will only answer the phone from a rest place and not on the road. If an adopter starts to be pushy. Tell them you will report on progress at 2 or max 3 important points on the journey.

They will get the message (provided you stick to only answering while stationary).
It will make your journey significantly less stressful and it may actually mean you can deliver a little more quickly.

Mostly, you and your cargo will be a lot safer.

I started out as an absolute sceptic.
The world has to be able to contact me, and contact me NOW.
I am now better educated.

If I were an A&E doctor/vet, a highly specialised consultant or the ilk*, the situation might be different. But I am not, and a 20 minute delay in replying to a call will not amount to a whole can of beans.

[* note I have even left out politicians - who believe the world revolves around them. It does not. I the ultimate they have "red telephones".]

Very few of us are that important that an instant reply to call is going to change the world.

EDIT: PS I can do nothing about idiots who think that volunteers carry credit card readers in their back pockets. I suggest you reply by asking for their paypal details to debit their accounts - yes I know you cannot do that - or can you?

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:09 am 

At last maybe the UK is starting to take this seriously http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-37389800

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:33 am 
Site Admin

I would prefer to see bigger fines - hit people where it hurts, in the pocket. Even if these drivers were eventually banned, many would continue to drive and use a mobile phone. Why not confiscate the mobile phone ? Now that might be a bit more effective !

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:49 am 
Site Admin

:lol: Now there's a thought! Disqualified from using a phone while driving rather than disqualified from driving whilst using a phone!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:07 am 

In Doha (illegally) people used to use the phone whilst driving. Given that many drivers were rubbish without distraction, it was a nightmare - some would crawl with their hazzards on and others just carried on drifting across lanes. I fully support the idea of a ban.

Back to the doggy delivery problems - could you put a GPS tracking app on your phone (I am sure such a thing exists) that will tell people where you are automatically?

J

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:44 pm 

niemeyjt wrote:
Back to the doggy delivery problems - could you put a GPS tracking app on your phone (I am sure such a thing exists) that will tell people where you are automatically?

J

No idea J, but I doubt it, I don't think it does apps, I was surprised to discover it does bluetooth. 8-|

Anyway it is irrelevant really, as I have told all who need to know that every time someone rings or texts me, I have to stop. I haven't mentioned this new bit of kit, integral and apparently legal, which was waiting for me when I got home this evening.

One small point, the journey in question above was not for Phoenix, very few are, but for the Dobermann association, which forms the bulk of my work now. The Presidente had a go at the interferers over that incident, so it may put people off in future. :)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:03 pm 

Next time some idiot nearly knocks me off my bike because they're busy texting I'm afraid they'll be having to have the phone surgically removed from their arse. It's getting stupid now it's happening all the time.

I am really pissed off with it.

(cutting corners at junctions it the latest nightmare)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:43 am 

After a couple of false starts with this new integral receiver, I am well pleased with its performance.

Firstly, I couldn't fit it to the visor satisfactorily as, because mine is always down that meant it was fitted to the back of it, therefore preventing me from lifting it up. Very rare I know but I didn't want to lose the option.

Then found a better place. My car has shelves over the windscreen and it fitted perfectly to the lip of that. Only trouble was after only one day on standby, and very little talking, it announced that the battery was low. At this point I thought it would have to go back. I'm going to check this but I'm sure much more was promised.

Couldn't recharge it in the car as the lead provided was nowhere near long enough. Definitely has to go back. But then I clipped it to the camcorder tripod. easier to see (if it is switched on or not) nice and firm, and right next to the charger socket. Doesn't matter now, the shortness of battery life, unless of course it indicates something more serious wrong.

As to losing the FM signal to a stronger local radio station, I thought that that was another problem which may trigger a return, but after later reading how easy it is to search automatically with my rds radio, no problem there either.

And the quality of the speech through the car speakers is unsurpassed, I can even easily keep up with rapid French speakers.

So, all in all, I am very pleased with it, and legal. :)

If anyone is interested the maker is Avantree, and I got it within the 4 days promised from Amazon UK. Cost £39 including delivery.