It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:26 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Internet problems
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:24 pm 
Site Admin

It seems that several people we know, us included, have been having sporadic internet service for several weeks now. Some friends about half an hour away managed to get through to the English Orange line and it was admitted that Orange would be working "on the system" up until the end of this year and it could cause problems.

I guess they didn't want to actually notify everyone properly as there might be a rush to claim compensation for loss of use, especially for business purposes. :-

So, anyone else having problems, or is it just localised to the Dordogne?

Post subject: Re: Internet problems
PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 2:28 pm 

So far so good here, but about 3 weeks ago we lost service completely for 3.5 days over a weekend.

Calling orange was a complete nightmare with the automated answer system saying - after some 3 minutes on the line - sorry we are very busy and then the line cut out.

Nearly the same thing on the English speaking line, but I eventually got through on day 3 to the call waiting queue and after 25 minutes I got to speak to someone to be told there was a system problem that would be solved by 1800hrs. it wasn't. Same problem next day and again eventually got through to the English line - again a very long wait in the queue - to be told, firstly that there was no problem, then sorry yes there was and it would be fixed by midday. This time it was.

Of course the temptation is to switch to another supplier (none of whom can provide the same miserable speed as orange) but if the system problem actually involves the line network, then you are stuffed no matter who you use.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

We're SFR which is okay most of the time but does go off from time to time for a few hours. It's rarely gone off for days at a time though.
We're supposed to be moving Jan/Feb and will probably sick with SFR. I don't think any server stands out as being any better than any other;

Accessing SFR mail (club internet) can be a real pain though. Always very slow and sometimes just not accessible.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:35 pm 

The service from SFR has certainly been less good over the last few weeks with weekends particularly bad as far as speed is concerned. This was exacerbated by a so-called Windows 'critical' update which took over four hours to load and which seems to have changed just about every parameter possible on my main machine, even going so far as to entirely disable the ability to remove it and go back to the earlier version! The fast fibre broadband that I enjoyed back in the UK is about the only thing I really miss since moving here!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:46 pm 

SFR have been messing around lately 'merging' their infrastructure with Numericable and it has caused me flaky service for a couple of weeks. Prior to that they updated the router software for IPV6, which also seemed to cause problems. It all seems to be done and dusted now and all is back to normal.

I don't know if Orange have updated for IPV6 so you may see some problems with that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 5:56 pm 

Were with Orange also, during our recent visit we had to reboot a couple of times. The speed is ok other than dropping a few times.
Nel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 4:59 pm 

Constant problem with orange here.
we lose internet regularly all day but the box lights stay green showing a connection.
When we eventually get through to someone, they say our box shows no disruption of internet at their end and basically accuse us of being liars. It's really annoying.

we are 400 meters from a semaphore which also can cause problems. Orange have just put a 4G copper cable down into the port area. God knows why as most of the population does not live in the port. #-o

also been having terrible problems with TV reception. All of us on the street (all 5 of us non holiday homers at least :lol: ) now have sinister looking black boxes on our TV aeriels, kindly installed by orange. They said the 4g reception was blocking the TV.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:41 pm 
Forum Moderator

We're at 'the end of the line" - well that's always the excuse for the speed and the cutting out problems we've had ever since we connected to internet.

There are some people in the commune who cannot get ADSL at all and the folk who are the lucky ones who have internet "just have to live with" a bad connection.

We've had days when we're not able to connect at all and it's usually when there are high winds which indicates that the telephone lines that are being used to pass internet (Which have never been properly repaired since the 1999/2000 tempête) are not capable of doing their job.

Last year, I rang Orange and ordered them to fix the problem and a day or so later, they sent out two men to replace the line from the connection to the nearest large village to along our road. They spent two days doing the job, we had no internet for five days and I was charged €60 for the intervention. After a few days, I rang them again and they sent a man to check the installation in the house and was again charged €60.

Our internet connection has worked intermittently ever since. For example, now I'm disconnected and I'll have to push those livebox buttons (It helps =p~ ) to try to reconnect but in the meantime, this post will have to wait until I'm reconnected.....

..... la la la...

...so five minutes later, finally there's a connection but for how long, I don't know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:50 pm 

scooby wrote:
Constant problem with orange here.
we lose internet regularly all day but the box lights stay green showing a connection.
When we eventually get through to someone, they say our box shows no disruption of internet at their end and basically accuse us of being liars. It's really annoying.

we are 400 meters from a semaphore which also can cause problems. Orange have just put a 4G copper cable down into the port area. God knows why as most of the population does not live in the port. #-o

also been having terrible problems with TV reception. All of us on the street (all 5 of us non holiday homers at least :lol: ) now have sinister looking black boxes on our TV aeriels, kindly installed by orange. They said the 4g reception was blocking the TV.

Are you losing connection to Windows systems? Ever since I upgraded to Windows 10 I get intermittent connection problems that are down to Windows and not the router.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:49 pm 

Not on Windows 10 Dave.

Between us we have 2 laptops, 2 android phones, 2 kindles and a wifi TV. It's definitely a reseau problem but orange will not hear of it. Incidently Mr Scoobs was one of the civil engineers on the massive project to install the new communications fibres throughout France so he has a fair idea of how the system is supposed to work....however the youngsters who work for orange know so much better.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:15 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
I've got a ZTE Livebox 2, about 8 years old, and for the last week its been playing up, not getting the internet from the provider etc, took it to Orange on Saturday, and they said nothing wrong with it, to day it dropped the connection 9 times in 5 hours, the bottom felt a bit warm, so disconnected it and gave it a cold soak, in the freezer for an hour, 3 hours later its still working perfect, so tomorrow its back to Orange, to argue the odd about a new Livebox

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:36 am 

I spent hours last week on the phone to Orange and their sub-contractors trying to get two phone lines fixed for clients. Nightmare! Appts made and not kept, umpteen texts from them (confusing when you have two dépannages to track on one mobile) and in both cases they were simple faults once a bloke turned up.
Then the sub-contractors rang to ask me politely to give them a good SAV report on the emails my clients would receive......they shouldn't have asked, they won't like the result.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:12 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
Update on the dead livebox, I waited a week to go back to Orange, but in the meantime, I made a note of all the outages and how long the livebox was off line, together with print outs from the livebox saying what it was doing

Once I got to Orange there was a queue a mile long, so waited until I got served, gave the booking in person the dead livebox and a mile of papers, he took one look at the papers, said that the wait was an hour, so I said that I would come back in an hour, which I did, saw a person who does the actual selling and after sales, he took a look through the papers, that detailed the faults, said new livebox

So now I have a new Livebox Play Black, plus an upgrade from ADSL to VDSL2

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:26 pm 

They seem to be laying new cables here, which might be something to do with the increased speed we were promised some time ago. Not happened yet.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 8:29 pm 

Not surprised it took so long Peake, every time we pass the orange bureaux in Bergerac there’s a queue a mile long luckily ours and the line is working fine (fingers crossed) but up in the village three ks away they have no end of probs and the Marie has had engineers out a number of times to no avail,
So much for modern technology, it gets worse in my opinion.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:02 pm 

Does anyone on here have problems connecting windows10 by WiFi to an orange live box.
Not for me but Mami helps run the bibliotec at our Mairie and with W10 it's impossible to get a WiFi convection, worked ok with 7 and 8. I have researched the web and there's a lot saying it's impossible with 10 and you must have a cable connection, seems stupid to me.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:23 pm 

It is stupid. It's more likely to be a wifi driver issue with the pc/laptop.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 8:31 pm 

DaveW wrote:
It is stupid. It's more likely to be a wifi driver issue with the pc/laptop.

I think the anniversary update of Windows 10 broke a number of drivers as well.

J

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:27 pm 

After more research it seems that's true, driver probs.
Need to download a new one onto a stick for them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:56 pm 

The LB Play doesn't seem too happy with 10 and open WiFi.

Because I live at the end of a small lane and with nobody near enough to get so much as a whiff of it I run mine wide open and never have any problems whatsoever.

In the Summer we had friends visiting both of whom had Win 10 laptops and both had no end of connection problems until I implemented security after which all was well - apart from being a PITA for me that is as I had to reconnect all my own stuff which in turn gave me my own problems !

For best results you need the very latest WiFi drivers for your particular device and that might mean getting them from a manufacturers site and not relying on Windows update.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2016 7:32 pm 

Thanks. But.

Have no intention of using windows, can't stand any of gates software.
Since I went over to Linux five years ago I've had no trouble at all.
As said above its for our bibliotec at the Mairie.