It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:59 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Live box WiFi range
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:54 pm 

Is it possible to increase the range of the WiFi from the Live box? At present I can get no signal on the iPad when outside the house in the garden.Perhaps there is some kind of amplifier available which can be attached to the Livebox.

Post subject: Re: Live box WiFi range
PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

What you need is a wireless range extender - I have one of these:

http://www.sitecom.com/wireless-range-extender-300n/p/714

My main wi-fi signal comes from upstairs. The range extender sits in our living room, two storeys below the router, where it also has line of sight to the back garden. The extender logs itself wirelessly into the router then re-transmits the signal outside where the original signal cannot penetrate (thanks to lots of stone walls in the way).

The thing to appreciate is that simply boosting your Livebox's output isn't likely to work - the frequencies these devices work on just don't like going through stone or brick. But if you can find a location roughly midway between your source and destination points which has reasonable wi-fi communications to both then putting a range extender there should work for you.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:50 pm 

You require something along the lines of this;
http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/wireless-range-extenders/wireless-range-extenders/default.aspxnetgear

Whoops! Crossed with Andrew's post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:10 pm 

Here is another way to do it using your electrical wiring to provide extended wifi and ethernet without losing signal strength

http://www.amazon.fr/Netgear-XAVNB2001-100PES-adaptateurs-Ethernet-Powerline/dp/B003Z1DPTO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323616079&sr=8-2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:11 pm 

An alternative or complementary approach, improve the reception end of the link.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-wireless-usbdonglersma.htm

Yes I know the particular item is discontinued, offered for the idea nevertheless.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:38 pm 

Is this the sort of thing you mean Dave?
http://www.amazon.fr/Netgear-XAVNB2001-100PES-adaptateurs-Ethernet-Powerline/dp/B003Z1DPTO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1323616079&sr=8-2

Thanks for asking the question thomas.
We have the same problem getting a decent signal around our house. It's so frustrating sometimes and have been looking for a solution.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:15 pm 

In a word, Yes. :)

here in the UK I use http://www.devolo.co.uk/consumer/5_dlan-200-avplus_starter-kit_product-presentation_1.html?l=en to link the hub with the Humax located in another room, in order to receive BBC iplayer and ITV player, and it works a treat without having miles of cable linking everything up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:18 pm 
I bought a Lenovo powerline adapter. Connects to the router and plugs in to the electrical circuit, then the transmitter at the other end can go into a socket up to 200metres away. I got one for use in our gite which is separate from the house but is cabled from the main supply. A bit pricey but it works a treat and keeps the visitors happy - most want wfi these days. You can add further transmitters as required.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:48 pm 

edythuk wrote:
Is this the sort of thing you mean Dave?

Thanks for asking the question thomas.
We have the same problem getting a decent signal around our house. It's so frustrating sometimes and have been looking for a solution.

Yes, cheaper to buy through amazon.fr.

I use the 500mb version for ethernet and HDMI tunnelling for HD TV. That's another topic though.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:18 pm 

I'm convinced this will be the answer for us. I have been reading about them on the Netgear website
http://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/powerline-and-coax/high-performance/XAVB5001.aspx
There's a little video under the "learn more" tab.

The router is in an upstairs room but we use laptops in 2 other rooms downstairs. My husband is unable to read the screen so relies on text-reading software and he gets really frustrated when the internet speed is slow and pages wont load.

Can I please ask you knowledgeable tecky folks a couple of questions?

Do I need to buy some extra plugs to go in other rooms?

Would this one be better than the 2001 model I found earlier?
http://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?__mk_fr_FR=%C5M%C5Z%D5%D1&url=search-alias%3Dcomputers&field-keywords=XAVB5001&x=20&y=17

Is the model on the right with the plug better (so you don't loose the free socket)?

Your help is much appreciated for as you can see I'm not too clever at this sort of thing. :-??

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:50 pm 

I use these http://www.amazon.fr/Netgear-XAVB5501-100FRS-adaptateurs-Ethernet-Powerline/dp/B004FA8NV4/ref=sr_1_2?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1323784066&sr=1-2 for the speed and the plug pass through. Remember you shouldn't place one of these beasts on an extension lead or on a surge protector because it will reduce the speed significantly. They are not cheap but are plug and play and very reliable.

You need at least two, obviously, and then one for every ethernet point you want to add. If you are on three phase try and keep them on the same phase.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:56 pm 
Site Admin

Afraid I can't comment beyond this: don't try it if you have a three-phase electrical supply and aren't sure whether your sockets share the same phase. If they don't share phase then quite simply it won't work.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:14 pm 

Not true Andrew I have three phase and they work over different phases, though about 15% slower. The phases have neutral in common.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:25 pm 

Oh dear...how would I find out?
Is there something on the meter to tell me?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:31 pm 

Your electricity bill will tell you if you are on three phase. I really wouldn't worry about it that much, they will still provide more data throughput than you will use.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

I couldn't get any communication across phases, Dave - having also been warned at the shop that it probably wouldn't work unless I was sure the sockets were sharing phase - hence my comment.

I've just invested in a Netgear WNDR4500 N900 router, which is capable in theory of putting out 900Mbps of wi-fi - two chunks of 450Mbps (150-tripled) each on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, given the right receivers. I've installed a TrendNet USB tri-band wireless receiver in the living room (which isn't just on a different phase but a completely different power supply altogether to the router).

With this set up I've repeatedly recorded real-life network transfer speeds in both directions of 110-120Mbps from send and receive points two storeys away from each other. This seemed to work best on the 5G band so I've set up other wireless traffic to use the 2.4G band, thus keeping the fastest link reserved for my main audio and HD video link.

Not quite as fast as a powerline link, obviously, but under the circumstances I'm very pleased with it - it's a lot less hassle than trying to cable the network together and delivers more than enough bandwidth for the applications in question. Our main wired network was slower than this just a very small number of years ago...

EDIT: I should perhaps add that in my personal opinion the three phase supply was wired by a blind chimp on a bad day a very long time ago, which may have added to my difficulties...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:44 pm 

Right I have the facture in front of me. Would it be under tarif characteristics?
I have HP and HC, 9 kW but can't see any reference to any phases.
The house was built in 2002 on edge of village if that helps.

Sorry I'm a bit dim 8-|

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:46 pm 

AndrewRose wrote:
I couldn't get any communication across phases, Dave - having also been warned at the shop that it probably wouldn't work unless I was sure the sockets were sharing phase - hence my comment.

I've just invested in a Netgear WNDR4500 N900 router, which is capable in theory of putting out 900Mbps of wi-fi - two chunks of 450Mbps (150-tripled) each on the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, given the right receivers. I've installed a TrendNet USB tri-band wireless receiver in the living room (which isn't just on a different phase but a completely different power supply altogether to the router).

With this set up I've repeatedly recorded real-life network transfer speeds in both directions of 110-120Mbps from send and receive points two storeys away from each other. This seemed to work best on the 5G band so I've set up other wireless traffic to use the 2.4G band, thus keeping the fastest link reserved for my main audio and HD video link.

Not quite as fast as a powerline link, obviously, but under the circumstances I'm very pleased with it - it's a lot less hassle than trying to cable the network together and delivers more than enough bandwidth for the applications in question. Our main wired network was slower than this just a very small number of years ago...

EDIT: I should perhaps add that in my personal opinion the three phase supply was wired by a blind chimp on a bad day a very long time ago, which may have added to my difficulties...

Here is the Netgear info http://support.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1125/~/powerline-faq. I too had thought the same, but knew the phase setup in the house, to my surprise it all worked regardless of the phase, though slower. I'm not knowledgeable enough on how the physical setup of three phase wiring effects things, maybe we need a sparks to advise. My routers ethernet connection is 1Gb as are my PC's and laptop, and I get about 475Mb through the powerline adaptors. It's great for slinging HDMI over ip traffic around the house and outside as well.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:02 pm 

edythuk wrote:
Right I have the facture in front of me. Would it be under tarif characteristics?
I have HP and HC, 9 kW but can't see any reference to any phases.
The house was built in 2002 on edge of village if that helps.

Sorry I'm a bit dim 8-|

I would say that is mono phase.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:13 pm 
Site Admin

Take a quick look at your meter. We have two, one is clearly marked "monophase" and the other "tri-phase - 4 fils". The latter also has the HP and HC split bit.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:33 pm 

Yes I found monophase on the meter, almost hidden under the lip of the box.
Thank you so much everyone for your help.
(The above discussion you folks had sounded fascinating. ^:)^ )

I will place an order now and let you know how I get on.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:19 pm 

AndrewRose wrote:
What you need is a wireless range extender - I have one of these:

http://www.sitecom.com/wireless-range-extender-300n/p/714

My main wi-fi signal comes from upstairs. The range extender sits in our living room, two storeys below the router, where it also has line of sight to the back garden. The extender logs itself wirelessly into the router then re-transmits the signal outside where the original signal cannot penetrate (thanks to lots of stone walls in the way).

The thing to appreciate is that simply boosting your Livebox's output isn't likely to work - the frequencies these devices work on just don't like going through stone or brick. But if you can find a location roughly midway between your source and destination points which has reasonable wi-fi communications to both then putting a range extender there should work for you.

Hi all,

I have a similar problem, in that I have an erea of the house where the wifi fears to tread.
If I get a wireless range extender like the one above - will all I have to do is plug it into the room that doesn't yet receive wifi? Ie no cables required from the live box?? Or do I need to do something else/need more equipment???

Yours wifily challenged!
Kit

PS we have a really slow connection (1mega) does that change anything re the above option???

Thanks in anticipation of your helpful replies xx

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:07 am 
Site Admin

kit wrote:
If I get a wireless range extender like the one above - will all I have to do is plug it into the room that doesn't yet receive wifi? Ie no cables required from the live box?? Or do I need to do something else/need more equipment???

First of all you'll need to plug it into a PC so you can set up the wi-fi parameters so the range extender can log itself onto your Livebox's wireless signal. Once that's done you simply plug it into the wall at a location where it can pick up the Livebox's signal and be picked up itself in the room you want the signal to appear - in usual circumstances this will be a halfway point where there's a reasonable signal in both directions.

For example, I've used ours to project a signal outside to our barn, placing it so there's a line of sight through three doors and a window to send the signal out whilst having a line of sight (sort of) through two floors up to where the main router (in your case, the Livebox) lives. Signals go reasonably well through floorboards and ceilings, but they don't like 2-foot-thick stone walls. It'll probably take a little experimentation and trial and error to get the right spot for a range extender, but there's usually a spot which will work.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:19 pm 

Thank you Andrew I'll give it a go!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2017 3:17 pm 

A reply to another thread reminded me of this one. Anybody with three phase who wants to use CPL devices for Ethernet can install a 'coupler de phases' It's a little widgit that allows all the phases to be coupled so that CPL's work more effectively across the whole house. It slots into your electric cabinet and works a treat. The one I have is a Legrand 03608.