It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:56 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Grève des Avocats
PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:05 pm 

Got up early this morning, packed sandwiches, coffee, water, kindle, collected an elderly friend and drove him to Agen for 8.30am so he could be present at the trial of the young oik who'd tricked him out of his man-bag with his wallet and all his papers some 16 months ago.
I thought it odd that there were empty parking spaces outside the courts (bit cross too as my elderly friend had found the walk from the carpark rather long), and when we went in the security man said 'doubt anything will happen today, sir, madam, the lawyers are all on strike'. Sigh.
The Huissier lead us into court where the head avocat seemed to be reading their strike 'manifesto' document at top speed to a bored-looking line of folk whom I guess were the judges.
The case was called and the hearing put back to 8th March 2018 (well at least not 2019). Friend was advised he could have a court translator with him FOC, an offer he accepted.
We were then guided away and introduced to a charming young jurist in the Service d'Aide aux Victimes, who explained the options open to him, as victim, in lots of detail. Friend said he didn't want to appear if he didn't have to, nor to claim any damages as a partie civile. The kind lady then drew out a sheet of paper and drafted the letter he'll need to send to the Head Honcho Judge, explaining politely that's he's not going to waste his time going to Agen on the 8th March. She made 100% sure he understood, then wished him well with a 'if you change your mind just call me'.
Not a completely wasted day as I like finding out about things and had never had any experience of this type of court procedure. Friend v stressed though, and tired when I got him home. If he'd known he didn't have to go, and this wasn't made clear in his letter of 'convocation' he wouldn't have gone today.

Post subject: Re: Grève des Avocats
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:19 am 

And of course as the French work on the 'squeeky hinge syndrome' in that if you don't ask they don't tell you, i.e. you didn't ask if there was going to be a strike that day so they don't inform anyone involved.

Definition of said 'squeeky hinge syndrome'. You have 2 hinges on a door. One is almost totally knackered, but is quiet when the door is opened. The other is fairly new and squeeks. So, which one gets the attention? The one that squeeks gets oiled! The knackered one gets nowt!

Here's hoping that your elderly friend gets the justice he deserves Liz.

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

Post subject: Re: Grève des Avocats
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:03 am 

Sorry for the wasted trip and long adjournment. I can't say I'm surprised though - apart from a few top briefs, it's a thankless profession in France. Anyone who works for French "justice" gets screwed.