It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:25 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Requests for tax status information
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:17 am 

We and the aged parent still have bank accounts in the UK which we find useful for Uk transactions, as I expect many of you do whilst resident in France.
Last year and this I have lost count of the number of times we've been asked to send back info confirming who & where we are, passport N°, tax TIN (N° fiscal de référence) etc.
Fixit also had a huge problem with HSBC some time back when he had to ring them to avoid his accounts being blocked, but he couldn't get through to a human as he didn't have (never had had as far as we could remember) a telephone banking code.
I don't mind giving out the info, but these days I am double-checking where the requests are coming from and where I have to post them to. There's so much scamming about.
Is anyone else having the same experiences?

Post subject: Re: Requests for tax status information
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:07 pm 

OH received a paper request to provide info on tax status for her UK account. The request for a TIN as difficult to carry out since (for all I looked) the French do not seem to use this system. I therefore provided about 4 different numbers from our tax confirmation. About 4 weeks later the bank wrote back to confirm that she "seemed to be French tax resident."

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:11 pm 

As posted elsewhere, I have had to provide a load to my French bank (customer for over 20 years) and various UK Building Societies (customer for 40 years) - not to mention here when opening a new account. Surprisingly, I do not recall my main UK Bank (Co-op) asking - but I think they have a few other matters to address.

Apparently it is a G20 initiative to stop money laundering / drug smugglers / paedophiles / terrorists / tax evaders - although somehow it does not seem to apply to the mega-wealthy bringing in their millions.

As I also mentioned, for UK tax payers the 10 digit tax code is the one in two halves on the tax return - not the same as NI number (that would be too simple!).

J

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:14 pm 

Hi Liz,

I have had regular requests, over the past year or so, from RBofS asking for tax information. Each time I tell them (and send relevant proofs) that we are elligible to pay tax both in the U.K. and in France. A few weeks later they thank me for my reply and then ask again for exactly the same information. Extremely frustrating!!! Not heard anything for about three months now so am hoping that that is the end of it.

Hope you get the problem sorted.

Regards,
Sue.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:40 pm 

We've never had requests about our accounts with Lloyds. Or from HMRC (we pay tax in the UK as well as France.)
But never say "never".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:46 pm 

Patf wrote:
We've never had requests about our accounts with Lloyds. Or from HMRC (we pay tax in the UK as well as France.)
But never say "never".

+1 with our couple of bank accounts,but there's always time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:37 pm 

+2, but we never pay income tax in either country, though I doubt that would stop them if the thought entered their heads.

Yorkshire Bank thus Clydesdale thus some bank in Oz for us.
Banque Postale here.

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:16 am 

I've had my HSBC account for over 40 years (opened when it was Midland Bank) and have never been asked to provide them with any info since we moved here 7 years ago. Never had a problem with them at all. The OH banks with Halifax and they are on threat of the account being closed and moved somewhere else if they block his debit card again. Twice now he's told them he'll be using it in another country, and each time they block it when he tries to use it.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/967912876580746/ SWAT South West Animal Team fundraisers

http://www.closfleurionline.com The home from home for your cat whilst you are on holiday

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:37 am 

sueindoors wrote:
I've had my HSBC account for over 40 years (opened when it was Midland Bank) and have never been asked to provide them with any info since we moved here 7 years ago. Never had a problem with them at all. The OH banks with Halifax and they are on threat of the account being closed and moved somewhere else if they block his debit card again. Twice now he's told them he'll be using it in another country, and each time they block it when he tries to use it.

Most unwise to close a UK account, Sue, very difficult, if not impossible, for a French resident to open another one.

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals