It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: It's that time of year again, exchange rates....?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:15 pm 

The blue form has been lying around for a couple of weeks, no sign of the red yet though.

However, I finally took a deep breath and plunged in. Not that my affairs are complicated, but there is always the niggling doubt that I might do something wrong and land myself in a mess.

The method for determining acceptable rates for the taxman that I have always employed has never been challenged but this year I think it may be to my disadvantage.

So, who has had info from local offices or Banque de France?

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

Post subject: Re: It's that time of year again, exchange rates....?
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:43 pm 

Nope, nothing on exchange rates from them but I haven't started looking yet, that's the next job after I get the car club magazine out and write an article for someone else and and.....

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 11:47 am 

I created a spreadsheet of the daily exchange rates for 2016 from the ECB web site as the Bank de France no longer carry the rates and just link to the ECB web site and thought it might be useful to others. The spreadsheet can be downloaded from http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=82314807855068576405 There are no macros in the spreadsheet.

The spreadsheet includes basic information on how you can use a spreadsheet lookup function to create the euro values of any sterling pound income. If you have all your data in a standard format spreadsheet with the date in one column and the sterling values in another, it is possible to possible to copy the information in the above spreadsheet to your spreadsheet, change a few column range values and then automatically generate the euro values.

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 4:52 pm 

Thank you Elsie, just got back home since Tuesday morning so I will have to have a look at it later after all the catching up is done.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 12:47 pm 

Grr, the online process got stuck on a 'business' page..... it's only partly supplied pre-filled, and I need to type in Siret N°, which is fine, then the address. Département fine, commune fine, but it doesn't like our street name, nor 'le Bourg' nor my leaving that bit blank.
When they post us anything the old-fashioned way they use just the the postcode and the commune name
AAARRRGGGHHH
Have disconnected and hope it sorts itelf out later.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 4:14 pm 

Phew, sussed it! After several attempts I typed the name of the commune again in CAPITALS and it offered me that as the street name & the lieu-dit, and took them both.
Sigh.
Done.
Now on to sorting out the elderly parent's papers and déclaration.....I see a LARGE G&T looming in the not too distant future.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 8:26 am 
Site Admin

OH does our tax returns and for the exchange rate, he's always taken a reasonable average over the year and it's always been accepted. It's not an exact science and for relatively small amounts, I doubt the tax people are going to nit pick.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:40 am 

I got an email from them last month saying we should now use the online service, but:
"Toutefois, si vous estimez ne pas être en mesure de le faire, vous pouvez continuer à utiliser une déclaration papier."
So that's what I did.
It was hard enough getting to grips with the UK online declaration, not a chance when it's all in french.
As for exchange rate, I averaged the monthly transfers over the year. They don't ask what exchange rate you use anyway (not saying we should therefore be dishonest :-? )

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 5:12 pm 

Each department seems to give a different rate, anything from 1.17 to 2.25, according to people on a couple of groups I belong to.
Our pensions get paid into our French bank so it's just a case of adding up the euros for the year. And this year's total is less than last year's due to the exchange rate and the very small increases we got.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:56 pm 

Patf wrote:
As for exchange rate, I averaged the monthly transfers over the year. They don't ask what exchange rate you use anyway (not saying we should therefore be dishonest :-? )

That's what I have always done Pat, trouble is I foresaw the result of the referendum and subsequent fall in the pound, and the last transfer I did was the day before.

This gives me an average for the year of 1.30 something, not far short of last year's. :o

However, perhaps I should stick to that, I may have made gains in previous years (and no-one has ever questioned it) and our total income for the year is not much more than reported for our zero demand last time.

At least it shows I'm honest, or more to the point, can prove consistancy if ever challenged in the future. :-