It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:37 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: pensions in France
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 12:57 pm 

FRENCH PENSION
I have just received my French retirement proposition, very interesting reading! I am currently retired and receiving a full UK pension. In addition, I have worked in France for over 8 years and obviously contributed to a French pension and brought up 4 children. The final figure that I am going to receive for the 8 years, self-employed, is 7 EUROS 30 CENTS PER MONTH.
Would anybody know whether these pension qualifying years could be transferred to the UK to enhance my pension there? Or, that it has been calculated correctly, as, in Europa.eu website, the following example has been shown:
Rosa worked 20 years in France and 10 years in Spain.

Both countries apply a minimum period of 15 years of work in order to have the right to a pension. Each country will calculate Rosa's pension:

The French authority will make a double calculation:

It will calculate Rosa's national pension for the 20 years worked in France - let's say 800 euros
It will also calculate a theoretical amount, the pension Rosa would have had if she had worked the full 30 years in France - let's say 1 500 euros. Then, it will determine the pro-rata pension that is the part of this amount which should be paid for the years worked in France: 1 500x20 years in France/30 years in total=1 000 euros.
Rosa is entitled to the higher amount — 1 000 euros a month.

The Spanish authority will not calculate the national pension because Rosa has worked in Spain less than the minimum period required. It will only calculate the EU-equivalent rate - starting with the theoretical amount, the pension Rosa would have had if she had worked all the 30 years in Spain - let's say 1 200 Euro.

Then, it will determine the pro-rata pension - the part of this amount which should be paid for the years worked in Spain: 1200x10 years in Spain/30 years in total=400 Euro.

In the end, Rosa will receive a pension of 1 400 euros.

All help would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: pensions in France
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 4:36 pm 

Welcome to the forum Diesel-oil.

My understanding, which is borne out by the example you give, is that your years working in France are not transferrable to the UK. They should however be taken into account when calculating your UK pension. You could check with the UK pensions service that they have done that.

Likewise your French pension should take into account years worked in the UK. I am not sure if years spent raising children, which are qualifying years in the UK are counted. Another question to ask. You should ask the French pension provider if your qualifying years in the UK have been taken into account when calculating the pension.

It would not be impossible that neither the UK nor France are aware of your employment in the other country and that they have both underestimated your pension. On the other hand, I have heard that the French pension is a pretty miserable affair.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:16 pm 

Have you been in touch with your local l'Assurance Retraite CNAV and compiled a relevé de carrière (a history of your employment)? It may be a different organisation for self employed people.

https://www.lassuranceretraite.fr/porta ... riere.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:06 am 

I have a FR pension and also have 4 children.

A. If you're self-employed the pension is pitiful, as you're not "equal" enough to get the kind of generous treatment that fonctionnaires and other useful folk get.

B. My FR pension comes from 15 months working for the State, 3 years working in the private sector, and 5 years self-employment. 90% of my pension is due to working for the State. Go figure.

Vive l'égalité!

When you claim both FR and UK pensions, you must include your work of any kind on both sides of the Channel in both sets of paperwork. Include the children - from 3 children, you get extra pension. I had to apply for it separately from the British.