It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:59 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: RSI Pension letter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:38 am 

I received a letter from the RSI this morning asking for my work history to complete my pension record with them.
I'm an auto entrepreneur and have amassed 22 trimestres so far. I'm 60 in 2016 so won't receive my UK state pension until I'm 66.

I have 31 years of contributions in the UK (so did qualify for a full pension, then I didn't), this is a mixture of employment, self employment and motherhood. I have the document from the DWP but no other proof of what I did.

Will the DWP document suffice?

Also, I don't want to take my French pension at 62, I can't imagine that it will be worth having, so intend to carry on working until at least 66. Having looked at the RSI website it appears that if I work until 67 I will be entitled to the full French pension anyway. I haven't got the link, but will try and find it again.

While I carry on working in France I would like to draw my UK pension as soon as I am eligible, is this possible?

Have any of you on here got any experience of this?

Every little helps :)

Post subject: Re: RSI Pension letter
PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:44 am 

The UK has no problem with pensioners working.

Indeed given the level of pension, you might be tempted to think they positively encourage it!

With a lack of harmonisation of pensions across Europe, I doubt that RSI would or could stop you taking your UK entitlement.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:37 am 

I didn't think they could stop me, but do I have to apply for it through the RSI?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:27 pm 

When I applied for my RSI and the 3 other FR pensions :shock:, I had to give my work history everywhere. That stretched my blanked out brain somewhat, especially for dates, but for those I didn't know for certain I guessed. I included UK holiday jobs of only a few weeks. I got far more from the French pension service(s) than I expected :-bd even though my work record was patchy and included periods when I'd worked 'off-system' for technical reasons (on the advice of our accountant I hasten to add). My advice is to include all you can remember.
Don't apply for your UK pension through the French - my husband did this and the Brits and French squabbled for 3 YEARS over who should pay it. The French are supposed to collect it, but don't want to know. I'm still working and was working when I claimed all my pensions. I got extra from the Brits for staying at home with the children to impart my considerable knowledge :lol: but had to apply for it separately.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:26 pm 

Thanks Mad, that is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping someone would know. Apart from a stint in the Civil Service I'm struggling to remember what I did! It seems obvious at the time, but applying dates to it is beyond me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 3:29 pm 

You mention "motherhood". If you were the named person on the child benefit booklet then the years when the child was in education should be deducted from the years necessary for a full pension. However the pensions people were not always aware of this so ensure you bring this to their attention! This can add up if more than one child and overlapping years. Hopefully this has not changed since I left the UK.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:41 pm 

It certainly applied when I claimed by UK pension at er, 60 (I'm really only 39 as everyone except the pensions office knows). I wrote a separate letter pointing out I'd been a Mother of the GB and they gave me a bucketload extra. So did the French....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:49 am 

Crikey, much more exciting and lucrative than I imagined posting.php?mode=reply&f=20&t=25067#
I worked for most of my motherhood years & I'm assuming that you don't get double points for that. I had assumed that my working life in the UK would be of no interest to the French. It is as if they decide you are a bon oeuf who has worked hard and reward you for it!
I shall have to start making a list, could be interesting.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:07 am 

I have 4 children. The French give you extra if you have at least 3 (10% I think). The Brits credit you for all or some of the years you spend at home with the children. In truth, I don't know exactly how any of them do their calculations but I do know that it's worth dredging up and claiming every hour of work. Here folk keep their fiches de paie to prove when, where and how long they've worked. CARSAT in Limoges proved to be better than expected (only 9 months to deal with the dossier) but having to submit the file to 4 caisses was a pain.