It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:34 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: What is the best way to get UK TV on a French telly.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 9:38 am 

Hi David, nice Magnum, never got trusted with one of those so don't know what the on board facilities were.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:19 pm 

hughnique wrote:
Hi David, nice Magnum, never got trusted with one of those so don't know what the on board facilities were.

Yes, a cab you could walk around in, passenger seat folded down into a table for eating off or washing on, aircon, cruise control, night heater and radio both with remote controls in the bunk area, in other words, the best I have ever driven. :)

Never bothered with a tv though, got plenty of chat in the routiers (still do ;) ), then straight to bed. 8-)

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:19 pm 

Having never tried a magnum, apart from the chocolate one, I can say that the DAF 95 was a superb vehicle could have just nicked the gearbox out of an Actros to be even better

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:00 am 
Site Admin

By the time I've drunk a magnum I don't care what's on TV

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:50 pm 

An update on my TV saga. The Pulsat man came back in March when I was here for about 5 days. He stayed for about 3 hours, but completely failed to get UK tv, even after trying another box. I got back here on 18th May and phoned him. He said he would give me a ring when he could come. Not having heard, and finding myself outside his shop on market day I went in to ask him when he was coming. "Tomorrow" he said. Great, I thought, and gave him my mobile number just in case I had taken the dogs for their walk when he set off. I received nether a phone call nor a visit. So I phoned again on Tuesday. "Thursday afternoon" he promised. Again, no show or phone call. I phoned his shop about 6 times, each time to receive an automated voice telling me that the message box was full and to try again.

I was fairly furious by this time, and thought that I would phone the next day. But then I thought "no". I have a dish which I haven't paid for. I will pay him for it if he gets in touch, but I am not going to chase him again. So I contacted Bigdishsat who have given me some (I hope) good advice and sold me a Manhattan box. I shall try to get the right satellite (John from Bigdishsat told me that 28.2 only has Sky and UK tv, and that if I was getting a lot of German tv, then I was pointing at 19, so I need to move it down 3 degrees and across 9).

I can only assume that the Pulsat man is so embarrassed that he would rather not come back. John, however thought that he was just being french!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:30 pm 

I've given John's details to lots of folk and all have given him & his advice a big thumbs up :-bd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:55 pm 

Well, following instructions, I loosened the dish with the intention of moving it down 3 degrees. It is very difficult to get a picture of what 3 degrees looks like, but in any event, the bloody dish just dropped like a stone, removing in the process the tippex markings I had made so that I would be able to find the original position. I then thought that I had nothing to lose, so I tried moving it slightly eastwards. Again, I found it difficult to think of what 8 degrees looks like. The result was that I have no idea what the dish was pointing at, but the box still said "no signal." I had bought a sort of ship's compass from Weldom, and tried to use this to orient the dish, but this is much more difficult than it sounds. The compass would stick in position until the dish went much too far, and then would swing wildly the other way. I also have 2 satellite aps on my iphone, but the theory and practice are miles apart.

I went into Darty, and asked if they oriented dishes. I was told that they could come the following wednesday (yesterday), and bless them they did. It took 2 of them about an hour, but I now have UK tv (99 euros later and six months almost to the day after the dish was put up on the wall). They did say that I had quite an awkward dish, and they found it difficult to manipulate. I just have to hope that it doesn't ever get moved now.