It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:45 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Expat shield
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:31 pm 

This question is similar to the "TV by satellite through the computer" thread, although there is sufficient difference for me to make a new thread.

I mentioned to someone working at our house that I would like to get some UK tv, but did not want to stick a dish on the house. He suggested "Expat shield" which allows your computer to fool tv providers into thinking that you are in the UK. He said that you can then link a laptop to the TV and get Iplayer, 4OD etc. I would be happy with occasional viewing of the catch up services, as I really don't want to spend my life in France in an English bubble.

Has anyone tried this? Is it any good, and is there a difference between the free service and the one you pay £5 a month for (other than a stream of adverts)?

Post subject: Re: Expat shield
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:47 pm 

Elstow wrote:
This question is similar to the "TV by satellite through the computer" thread, although there is sufficient difference for me to make a new thread.

I mentioned to someone working at our house that I would like to get some UK tv, but did not want to stick a dish on the house. He suggested "Expat shield" which allows your computer to fool tv providers into thinking that you are in the UK. He said that you can then link a laptop to the TV and get Iplayer, 4OD etc. I would be happy with occasional viewing of the catch up services, as I really don't want to spend my life in France in an English bubble.

Has anyone tried this? Is it any good, and is there a difference between the free service and the one you pay £5 a month for (other than a stream of adverts)?

We used Expat Shield free VPN during our time in France and it works! Beware though that it does reduce your download speed a little while in operation and to use streaming services such as iplayer or 4OD you will need a 2mbs download speed as a minimum.

It's free so give it a try. You can uninstal the programme if it doesn't suit your needs.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 11:39 am 

Thanks for that. Did you watch tv on the PC or through your TV?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:05 pm 

you can watch some programmes live from http://www.tvguide.co.uk/ if you click on the arrow next to the station it says watch online next to the ones that are available my hubby watches some programmes this way in his man shed does not work for watch again though unless you hide your location

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:21 pm 

Elstow wrote:
Thanks for that. Did you watch tv on the PC or through your TV?

Both. If you connect the PC to the TV via an hdmi lead the picture and sound are fine (if you've got a decent bandwidth).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:10 pm 

You can use http://www.filmon.com/ without a VPN or DNS spoofer.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:45 am 
Site Admin

I was going to post that very link Dave. The choice of channels to watch is amazing - and no special equipment needed apart from a reasonable internet connection.
Just watch it on your computer :-bd Our connection isn't brilliant but this link works for us.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 2:38 pm 

I had never even heard of that. Thanks very much

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 4:58 pm 

If you want higher quality (they call it HD, but it's not) you can pay a monthly subscription. I found the quality improvement was more noticeable in the streaming of video - no pausing. You can also use something like chromecast, apple TV or a plain old HDMI connection to send it to your TV.

I set this up for myself when the new satellite went up and the main UK channels went away. Magically that seems to have sorted itself out so tend not to use FilmOn as much.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:34 am 

DaveW wrote:
You can use http://www.filmon.com/ without a VPN or DNS spoofer.

Now that I have the internet up and running again I tried this. It is very good, and I have been able to watch uk programmes on the tv via its web browser ap.

Thanks very much for the information.