It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:10 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: French programs in English?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:30 pm 

To be able to test satellite when I attempted to set it up(not yet though), I bought a new British TV with built in TV decoder. As I have a TV aerial on house I thought I would try it out on French free digital TV.
I mentioned on another thread I only got a handful of channels, but some show UK/US original programs and films. Obviously these are French versions with new credits etc, but some are not in French.
I originally thought that maybe they were not dubbed, but having watched some of these same programs in hotels, I think it might be the UK digibox, not transmitting the French soundtrack. Sounds odd but is this possible?
I have noticed episodes of Friends(was not interested), as well as Dr Who and Sherlock, all undubbed but obviously French versions. The Sherlock episodes even have the French graphics.
Some films(James Bond) have also transmitted in English.
The trailers for these programs are in French, again making me think it is something to do with the digi signal, as if the French dubbing should overlay the original English, but is not picked up.
Its a pity in some ways as it would do my French language skills a lot of good, watching TV which was familiar. I do turn on the French sub-titles sometimes as this helps a little, despite the shortened translations.

Lancashire,and now a place in France, partly restored
Http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Post subject: Re: French programs in English?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:45 pm 
Site Admin

We get at least 17 channels on French 'free' TV. There are some English or American programmes which can be listened to in English, French and sometimes (on Arte ) German, but as far as I know, all the French programmes are in French. I've never seen one dubbed into English.

The TV guides don't always tell you which programmes are in Version Multi Langue - it's a question of trying.
One of the irritations of US programmes that have been dubbed into French is the incidental music can be a bit over-powering %-(

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:11 pm 

I don't opt to watch in English, it just transmits that way. Only thing I can do is switch on sub-titles. I watched same(I think) channel in hotel coming down and that was definitely in French for that program. Only happens with programs originally made in English. I even had one program start in French, then I think after a break switched to English. And that was after I had just watched the previous episode in English.
Just wondering if there is anyone who knows how these digital programs are transmitted.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:25 pm 
Site Admin

We've got a button on our handset called "audio" which allows us to switch between languages (Sony TV). Otherwise, have you tried the Menu - Language - Language Audio ?
It probably depends on what sort of set you have. I shouldn't have thought it would make any difference these days where you bought the TV.
It's the sort of thing Andrew would know ;)

We haven't always been able to change languages on a hotel TV.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 7:40 am 

that is interesting and I think confirms what I thought. Looks like digi TV transmits some programs in many languages. Will have a look to see if my TV has audio language option, if not it is probably set to English by default.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:31 am 

We have subscribed to canalsat for years and have about 10 film channels, most but not all, it varies from time to time, are broadcast in multisound, set the sat box to english default if thats what you want or as already said press the audio button and choose your language.
The problem with backround music being to loud has been brought up on many ocasions its the modern way, complaints have been made to the BBC and French tv, its rather like a few years back all films were dark, supposed to add to the mystery??

I have found the best way to watch/listen is with a surround sound system where you can set each sound channel to your choice, by boosting the centre one where most dialogue is you can hear whats being said.

Finaly why not try watching in French it will help in learning french.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:49 am 
Site Admin

I agree, Papy - watching French TV was a huge help when we first came here. I started with policiers and the weather (many phrases repeated day after day) and news. I've never liked subtitles - they're often not very accurate and I could never manage to read and listen at the same time.

One way to help learn is to record something, then replay any bit you haven't understood. It's easy to miss something when people are talking quickly, have strong accent or haven't got their teeth in !
But now we love watching something in English, though I've found that sometimes Americans speaking quickly can be difficult to understand :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:11 am 

Yes Blaze, listening to France radio, watching documentries, sport and the news in French is one of the best ways to get into it
Like you never liked sub titles ourself either, now we only have English sound when we have had a hard day and to tired to get al the French.
Being part of the "fete" commitee here we have just spent a tireing, enjoyable weekend helping to entertain and feed 150 people with the communes annual twinning meet with another commune in Alsace.
spending three days speaking french to strangers is tireing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 5:09 pm 

I would rather watch these programs in French as the story lines are familiar. I don't like have English subtitles as they distract from what I am listening to, but French subtitles on English sound actually helps. Just not sure if my British Freeview(Not satellite) has alternate language options. I think I tried when I first got the TV.
Hopefully will have satellite dish set up later this year so can play with that.
One trouble I have found with having more TV/internet distractions is that I have got a lot less done this week than when I did not have internet. Not grumbling, but you realise how much time it can take up. At least i won't have to spend hours going through email, when I get back to UK, except those received between leaving French house and getting back.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:11 pm 

tested language button, and it as possible to switch to French. Now just got to wait for a suitable program to watch.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:30 pm 
Site Admin

Well done, Rd'E :-bd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2014 5:59 am 
Site Admin

Most modern TVs may have a preferred language setting somewhere in the menu of options, with the TV automatically switching to this language whenever it's available. If you want to watch TV in French you'll need to find this setting and change it. Although the majority of French TV is only transmitted in French, with a multitude of channels you will come across stuff that's bilingual or multilingual

Our Orange satellite box has language options too, but you don't seem to be able to set it up to automatically switch. Thus my son can watch the Disney channel in French by default, or go to the programme options every time he uses the channel to switch to its original (normally English but not always) language.

We've been choosing our language options for the World Cup commentary. I'm tending to go for French (Bein Sport) over English (BBC/ITV) right now - the Orange box just sits permanently on channel 84, ready to go.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 5:36 pm 

tested one of the channels on TV in hotel tonight, and it was possible to listen in English. Unfortunately it was only an episode of 'Friends' so switched it off once I had tested options. Does this mean the football can be watched with English commentary?