It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Looks like October is the date new changes to UK satellite
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 3:59 pm 

The agreement will give SES the right to use, on its fleet, 500 MHz of bandwidth at this orbital position adjacent to SES's 28.2 degrees East in the frequency bands 11.45 11.70 GHz and 12.50 12.75 GHz in downlink and 14.00-14.50 GHz in uplink. SES has procured and will launch and operate new satellites (ASTRA 2E and ASTRA 2G, where launch is currently scheduled for this and next year, respectively) at the 28.2/28.5 degrees East orbital arc, along with the ASTRA 2F satellite which was launched last year, to replace SES's existing fleet at 28.2 degrees East and to provide new capacity. The new satellites in this neighbourhood will use the additional frequency spectrum as of October 2013 for DTH satellite television services in the U.K. and Ireland and for other services inside and outside of Europe.

http://www.finanznachrichten.de/nachric ... rc-004.htm

Post subject: Re: Looks like October is the date new changes to UK satelli
PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:56 pm 

more updates

http://www.spaceflight101.com/astra-2e- ... dates.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:19 am 

So fro Numpties like me Steve, what does this mean in terms of receiving signals from the 28 E cluster of satellites? Will I be able to get German (or other) stations as well as the Sky/Freesat suites?

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:58 am 

Yes, please explain! I'm very new to English TV, and the only complete programme I've watched so far is an England international. It took me until the end to decipher Roy Keane's comments.....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:22 am 
Site Admin

MAD87 wrote:
the only complete programme I've watched so far is an England international. It took me until the end to decipher Roy Keane's comments.....

I'm surprised you managed to stay awake that long.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:12 pm 

The problem is that Freesat transmissions have/are being transferred to new satellites. The foot print of the channels that have been moved so far, the channel 5 bundle and a few others is very restricted, down here I lost them even with a 100cm dish, for those more northerly you will probably not have noticed

The rocket that was supposed to launch ASTRA 2E last July crashed because someone fitted a sensor upside-down :D The new launch date has now been set and after testing approx 4 weeks all the remaining Freesat channels will migrate. I understand that this footprint will be even more restrictive, as UK wishes to keep its transmiisions to its self. I and many others will probably loose all UK stations as I understand it even SKY transmissions will loose the Freesat

This was extremely informative http://robssatellitetv.webs.com/astra1n.htm unfortunately Rob, the owner, a couple of days after his last post, passed away, nevertheless we are still reporting

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm 

AndrewRose wrote:
MAD87 wrote:
the only complete programme I've watched so far is an England international. It took me until the end to decipher Roy Keane's comments.....

I'm surprised you managed to stay awake that long.

It was tough going - I'd hesitated between watching the France match (lotsa goals) and the England match (great therapy for insomniacs), but the novelty of watching something in English won. I found the commentating quality very low in comparison with French football commentaries.I'll be more careful in future....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

SteveFrance64 wrote:
The foot print of the channels that have been moved so far, the channel 5 bundle and a few others is very restricted, down here I lost them even with a 100cm dish, for those more northerly you will probably not have noticed...

Can't say I've been looking out for this - we use Freesat on an 80cm dish in Dordogne. If we're likely to be losing channels what should I be seeing now? Is there an easy way to check yet?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:29 pm 

That's the big question its a new satellite we will have to wait. What must occur is the continued transmissions to the Channel Island so the footprint must be a little skewed fingers crossed. :-s
I have sorted freebie software and leads allowing me to watch UK TV via the internet through my television :D

tother-alf cant miss Brucy :YMPRAY:

Steve

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:45 pm 
Site Admin

So when you refer to moving "the Channel Five bundle" I'm guessing it's still there on the old satellite too? (Sorry to be confused here!)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:24 pm 

The following stations moved last year

The following frequencies and channels have now been moved to Astra 2F from Astra 1N.
10.964 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (CH5/5USA/5*/Channel 5+1),
10.994 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (ITV 1 Granada HD/ITV 1 Central South West SD/ITV 1 Anglia West SD/ITV 1 Meridian North SD/ITV 1 Yorkshire East SD/ITV 1+1 Yorkshire SD),
11.052 H SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (ITV 1 Central South SD/ITV 1 Central East SD/ITV 1+1 Wales SD/ITV 1+1 Westcountry SD/ITV 1+1 Tyne Tees SD),
11.126 V SR 22.000 FEC 5/6 (Channel 4 HD/4Seven SD)

All the remaining Freesat stations will move from Astra 1N to the new one Astra 2E shortly, hopefully the rocket will blow up again :-bd

What was annoying was after the transfer the satellite operators over a period of weeks restricted the area of its foot print

Steve
--

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:38 pm 

Steve said
Quote:
What was annoying was after the transfer the satellite operators over a period of weeks restricted the area of its foot print

So it isn't permanent, maybe to do testing it is easier on restricted footprint.

Steve, what free software are you using To be fare I am not bothered if I can't watch British TV (any good films or TV series can buy on DVD), but OH wants to be able to listen to Test cricket.
Pity is I have just got hold of satellite gear, but have not fitted it yet, so will wait till we know what footprint is.

Lancashire,and now a place in France, partly restored
Http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:40 pm 

This is what I have in case it all goes to a bag of worms it worked well on 1.2 mb fortunately I have now 2.4mb download speed

filmon.com

http://www.filmon.com/tv/bbc-one

I use a couple of leads to transfer my computer picture and sound to the TV

The radio is not such a big problem as its not restricted on the internet

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:42 am 
Site Admin

SteveFrance64 wrote:
The radio is not such a big problem as its not restricted on the internet

A good proportion of radio sports commentary is blocked - you won't hear any Formula One on Radio Five Live this afternoon if you try and listen to it online, for example
- likewise football and other major sports.

I like to watch the F1 races that aren't broadcast live on BBC TV on French TV (Canal+), with English commentary from Five Live - but this has to be via satellite as I can't get an Internet feed (without delving into VPNs and the like). The satellite radio and TV delays are also pretty predictable - usually about 6.5s between radio and TV for F1 (though last weekend a football match had a 15s delay between Five Live and Canal+ Sport) so I stick a delay on the satellite radio feed, which is done by feeding it through a PC that could otherwise be offering me online radio!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:32 pm 

I am no tecky and don't get involved in sport unless the ball is not a sphere but this site has helped me out

http://www.expatshield.com/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

Works for me too.. (as well as Filmon.com) :-bd

http://piperade-thecompleatanglo.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 2:02 pm 

I seem to remember seeing an article the other day about possible legal issues for filmon.com, so this may turn out to only be a temporary solution. I'm racking the old brain cells but cannot remember where I saw it, but I shall continue to try and find the original article.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:54 pm 

I mentioned this website to my wife, who uses a lot of these type of sites to watch old TV programs and films and she said they tend to have a limited life before they are forced to close.
The proxy server website(if that is what it is) is probably better long term, but I am always wary of any free offers, as they might start charging in the future. Also something about not all services provided.
I would rather see the authorities realising they need to adapt to the 21st century, and change the way copyright works, and the way artists, sports persons and other celebrities are paid. Won't happen as too many others with their snouts in the trough.

Lancashire,and now a place in France, partly restored
Http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:06 pm 

Barrybois wrote:
I seem to remember seeing an article the other day about possible legal issues for filmon.com, so this may turn out to only be a temporary solution. I'm racking the old brain cells but cannot remember where I saw it, but I shall continue to try and find the original article.

I agree whilst its free use it the next option which is basic but in my opinion is foolproof get a mate in the UK to point his camera at his TV and send it to you via Skype :)) now thats going be difficult to police

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:01 am 

I have to admit that I hadn't thought of that as a possibility! At the moment everything still works as it always has here in Poitou Charente, but I shall be a little upset if I lose all UK channels as I have to admit that it is still my viewing of choice. Somehow I just cannot come to terms with the majority of the output from French TV. Just how many shows can they broadcast with six people sitting around a table earnestly discussing trivia??

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
This link might help to put some of you out of your misery, :lol: ,http://www.satbeams.com/footprints , then look at Astra 2F spot beam, but from what I can see of it anybody below an arc from LaRochelle, Limoges, Digoin, Montceau les Mines, Chagny, Auxonne, Gray, Charmes its going to be tough titty, or no can view when the change over comes

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:46 pm 

peake wrote:
This link might help to put some of you out of your misery, :lol: ,http://www.satbeams.com/footprints

Didn't unnerstand a thing, far too complicated. I just had freesat installed to ring the changes during the winter. Now you're telling me the changes are going to be wrung from my grasp?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:57 pm 
Site Admin

Location: Was Plouasne 22830, now Ploeuc sur Lie 22150, France
MAD87 wrote:
peake wrote:
This link might help to put some of you out of your misery, :lol: ,http://www.satbeams.com/footprints

Didn't unnerstand a thing, far too complicated. I just had freesat installed to ring the changes during the winter. Now you're telling me the changes are going to be wrung from my grasp?

I think that it might be touch and go for you m'dear, 'cos it looks as if you are on the boarder line of the satellites broadcast foot print, which is aimed at the good fee paying citizens of the UK, who are complaining about all the spongers on the continent who can receive UK tv without paying a penny for it

An old wild fowling motto : little powder, plenty lead, kill 'em dead

English born, Living in France, Therefore European

http://www.peakeenergies.fr/

Forum Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:15 am 

That's nice.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:39 am 

This is a site for caravans but explains in simple terms what is happening http://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/ . It appears that for most of us if a problem occurs a larger dish may be the answer. Click on the recent updates near top of front page of site.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:45 am 
Larger dishes (my Niece has a dish around 3metres) have been the norm for many Brits living in Spain but for many now, they have "sky" programmes piped in and pay a lot less than those in the UK. That is I have to add, just the people I know in Spain and around Alicante. Many bars along the Costa's show Sky UK soccer matches live.....I watch the CFC games here in Sitges in my favoured bar. I reckon they won't lose the games, where there's a will and all that! :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:29 am 

So it's really wait & see, isn't it?
If the telly goes off one will have to take action (bigger dish?) to get it back, if it doesn't we don't.
Am I right?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:44 pm 

I'm just south of the footprint shown on Peakes link. At the moment all the channels that have already moved to the new sat eg C5 are still fine on my 60cm dish. So I'm hopeful!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:46 pm 

Barrybois wrote:

They have lost a court case in the USA therefore the future of FilmOn is unsure at the moment.

http://www.filmon.com/corp/fr/news/filmon.com-inc.-issues-response-regarding-new-york-southern-district-courts-ruling-on-cbs-broadcasting-inc.-et-al-v.-filmon.com-inc.-temporary-restraining-order.html

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:33 pm 
Site Admin

Barrybois wrote:
I have to admit that I hadn't thought of that as a possibility! At the moment everything still works as it always has here in Poitou Charente, but I shall be a little upset if I lose all UK channels as I have to admit that it is still my viewing of choice. Somehow I just cannot come to terms with the majority of the output from French TV. Just how many shows can they broadcast with six people sitting around a table earnestly discussing trivia??

You can only be referring to this.. The debates run strictly on party lines.. and there are never any surprises.. MOH watches it intently.. while I leave the room! :lol:
Think political debate in France could do with a Paxo.. I think I'd leave the room even sooner then! :lol:

http://piperade-thecompleatanglo.blogspot.com/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 2:18 pm 
Site Admin

This is quite instructive if it's accurate (from satelliteforcaravans.co.uk):

It shows the expected footprint for reception using 45cm and 60cm dishes (and satelliteforcaravans points out that it'll probably be a little bit wider than illustrated - the "edges" will be more blurred than the picture suggests). Beyond these limits you'll presumably need a bigger dish; we're currently using an 80cm dish though others around here get away with 60cm. Amazon.fr currently have a 100cm dish on sale for €63.90 and a 110cm dish at €69.90, or you could try 90cm at €45. I'm going to cross my fingers and see what happens, but I've put a dish up before and repositioned dishes so will up-size if I have to.

If you do end up getting involved in DIY dish replacement I strongly recommend investing in or borrowing a satellite signal test meter - makes pointing a doddle and ensures you get the very best possible signal, which is going to become more and more vital by the looks of it...

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 6:34 pm 
OH climbs up to dish and I sit by TV. We communicate with walkie talkies. Left a bit, right a bit. :) Nothing changed here so far.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:51 pm 

I have a 100cm dish at the moment everything is fine up to 7 pm I think you will need a 200 dish here shortly
Its been confirmed its launch date is 30 September I hope it goes with a bang

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:59 pm 

datz wrote:
Barrybois wrote:

They have lost a court case in the USA therefore the future of FilmOn is unsure at the moment.

http://www.filmon.com/corp/fr/news/filmon.com-inc.-issues-response-regarding-new-york-southern-district-courts-ruling-on-cbs-broadcasting-inc.-et-al-v.-filmon.com-inc.-temporary-restraining-order.html

There are others now offering internet UK telly at 15 quid a month just get the best deals as they come along

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:20 am 
Site Admin

blondie wrote:
OH climbs up to dish and I sit by TV. We communicate with walkie talkies. Left a bit, right a bit. :)

Without walkie-talkies and with dishes well out of the range of our phones - and preferring (as dish-wobbler) to have two hands free to (a) hold on!, and (b) adjust the dish - I'll stick with my tester. They're a lot cheaper than walkie-talkies too - around €10-15. Just plumb them into the cabling - light comes on to confirm the connection to the box is OK, and you've got a visual meter and an audio beeper to indicate signal strength as you move the dish around with both hands free to do so.

Saying that, we don't have a particularly normal installation here: we live opposite an official national monument (big old church), which means the dish has to be invisible from the front of the house (which would have been the ideal site for it), and we've got a difficult job getting a line of sight thanks to said big old church being in the way - the only possible dish location for us isn't the easiest or safest to access. One slip and... 8-X