It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:14 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: Looks like October is the date new changes to UK satelli
PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:07 am 

AndrewRose wrote:
Using power from the Humax box rather than a battery confirms that you've got a proper connection between satellite box and dish with no cable damage en route - with a long cable run like ours that's useful to know! I found that by setting the vertical angle using the dish markings first, then moving the dish from side to side, I was able to home in on the satellite fairly easily. I then locked the horizontal movement and fine-tuned the vertical.

Are you using an in-line amplifier? 14-20dB quoted might not sound much of a boost, but each 6dB represents a doubling of power - so you'll get 4-8 times as much signal power down the line if you do put one in.

I did connect the Humax and got power from it last night so that is ok then, but I forgot to note the vertical before loosening the nuts. :ymblushing: Could you tell me what that should be please?

I'm pretty sure that I have the direction correct as it lines up exactly with the corner of a neighbour's building a couple of hundred metres away. I have also checked by compass.

I am not using an amplifier as my cable run is only about 5 metres from dish to box. I everything else fails I could try that I suppose.

I am off for the day soon so it will be tomorrow morning before I can have another go.

The Franch dish (Atlantic Bird) is working perfectly without me doing anything to it, it strangely lost its channels at the same time as the English ones went.

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:30 pm 

Still no English telly or radio. I tried the diagnostic screen today. Everything was zero. I moved the dish slightly side to side and got a quality reading of 80%. Tried the elevation but couldn't improve it.

Most channels say 'no or bad signal', but the ones we did get till last week now say 'channel scrambled or unavailable'.

Any ideas?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:52 pm 

Spardo wrote:
Still no English telly or radio. I tried the diagnostic screen today. Everything was zero. I moved the dish slightly side to side and got a quality reading of 80%. Tried the elevation but couldn't improve it.

Most channels say 'no or bad signal', but the ones we did get till last week now say 'channel scrambled or unavailable'.

Any ideas?

You should be receiving programmes if you have quality 80% and pointing at the correct satellite. So I suspect you may need to move the dish more to find the correct satellite.

I suspect you may be pointing at Astra 1 which has some transponders at the same frequencies?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:53 am 
Site Admin

Spardo wrote:
I did connect the Humax and got power from it last night so that is ok then, but I forgot to note the vertical before loosening the nuts. :ymblushing: Could you tell me what that should be please?

This website will tell you exactly where you should be pointing your dish, with brilliant integration with Google satellite imagery:

http://www.dishpointer.com/

For us I get the following:

Code:
Address: Saint Meard de Gurcon
Latitude: 44.9091°
Longitude: 0.1828°

Satellite: 28.2E ASTRA 1N | ASTRA 2A | ASTRA 2D | ASTRA 2F
Elevation: 31.3°
Azimuth (true): 143.0°
Azimuth (magn.): 143.5°

(N.B. The satellite name information here is out of date - as far as I can tell you can simply replace 1N with 2E in the above text)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:54 am 

Thanks both, John BigDish is due here tomorrow (he is a very busy chap) to sort it all out. He did give me that website I think Andrew but I had a quick look and thought it was for people with fancy stuff like smartphones. I'll have another look with a more open mind and see if I can get any joy out of it.

However I did get our coordinates and feed them in somewhere to find an elevation of 31.03 and azimuth of 143.89. That is how I got 80% quality from the previous zero.

I'm thinking seriously about the offer from Orange when I recently signed up to Zen Livebox with TV access included at no extra cost. While talking to the, foreign but fluently English speaking, bloke on the helpline he wondered why I didn't want the TV part of the deal. He had already spoken to me in very fluent English proverbial slang so I quoted back to him 'if it ain't broke don't fix it', to which we both laughed.

I'm not laughing now - it's broke!!

He contradicted my thought that the Orange deal wouldn't get me English channels. Anybody using Zen with TV for English channels? Would be very useful to know.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:15 am 
Site Admin

We have Orange satellite TV. There's a smattering of English language channels, mainly news, and stuff like the Disney Channel that transmits in two languages (so you can switch to English should you wish to - I'm sure that Disney's teen fare is a compelling reason for you to get it!), but frankly I've never used it for that.

You've got to love Orange.fr, haven't you? On my Espace Clients page it says "profiter de la nouvelle TV d'Orange" - so I click on this to try and find out what it is and how I can benefit from it. I get a single line that says "Votre offre actuelle ne vous permet pas de bénéficier de la nouvelle TV d'Orange." So why offer it in the first place? And what can't I get and why? And why, when I have a 20Mbit ADSL connection, did you always insist that I needed a flipping satellite dish on the roof and couldn't have TV through the Internet? Grrr!

(BTW I do now know what "la nouvelle TV d'Orange" is, and they can keep it!)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 10:36 am 

Sounds like the otherwise very helpful chap on the helpline was being a bit economical with the truth then.

Tant pis, John BigDish is due any minute.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:57 am 

Well, John has been and gone and we now have everything back again. The dish was out of alignment and was partially obscured by our veranda, but he did get a vertical signal despite that and the main problem was the loss of the horizontal due to a faulty LNB.

All ligned up, LNB replaced and I have one happy wife again.

He still can't believe though how I can get a 100% signal and quality from a dish so obscured and I suppose it is because we don't really need a 80cm one round here, the original 60 cm one was replaced some time ago when I found the big dish in the skip at the dechetterie.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2014 10:04 am 
Site Admin

:)