It is currently Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:55 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: French TV stations
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 5:16 pm 

Was reading through one of the 'How to live in France' guides recently published by well known Francophile magazine, and they stated that a UK Freeview box(not HD version though) will work in France, obviously picking up French channels only. I had a google search but list of French channels did not look that long, and whilst stopping off in one of the BB hotels a couple of years ago I am sure one of the channels was UK news. Have not found it elsewhere since, so wondering if any of the UK news channels are included.
Pity I did not know last week, otherwise I would have tried out TV I have which has built in Freeview. The programs might not be much to write home about, but it is another recommended method to improve your French.

Lancashire,and now a place in France, partly restored
Http://www.rue-d-etropal.com

Post subject: Re: French TV stations
PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 6:46 pm 
Site Admin

The French TV main channels do have their fair shares of game shows, chat shows and entertainers. They do actually have some quite good drama series but you have to be selective. I found it an excellent way of improving my French because I came across so many things that we weren't taught at school.

I don't know what channels were on your list, but were they things like TF1, France 2, France 3, Arte, M6 etc ?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:36 pm 

ideally something like this for UK TV
http://www.tvguide.co.uk/default.asp?thisday=&thisTime=

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:03 am 
Freeview...TNT

http://www.programme-tv.net/programme/p ... e-tnt.html

http://www.toutelatnt.fr/

http://programme-tv.orange.fr/grille/chaines-tv/

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 4:24 pm 

thanks for those links. The UK website is so useful, pity the French ones are not as comprehensive.
Anyway beginning to wonder why I bought some satelite equipment, as don't watch much in UK anyway. Just need to have something for cricket , one of my wife's conditions of moving, but sure to find some simple way. Otherwise happy to do without UK TV initially.
Next job is to get a telephone and then broadband connected. Evidence of an old telephone connection, so hopefully not too difficult. As its a town house with exchange very close, and other important telecommunications in the town(police and fire service) , expect internet service to be good.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:52 am 

when I was down in France a couple of weeks ago, I thought I would test out the old TV aerial as I had a new small TV with Freefree built in. I had bought it so I would have something portable to test satellite when(if?) I installed it.
Anyway I managed to pick up 6 free channels, which doesn't sound a lot. Presume it varies from area to area.
Odd thing is there were English films being shown on one channel, not dubbed but could switch French subtitles on. Found it an interesting ay to improve(?) my French.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:37 pm 
Site Admin

We get a fair number of channels on TNT with a French-bought TV - probably 30 or 40 (I've not counted recently), including some that are subscription only, and some in HD and regular versions. I bought a card adapter that goes on the back of our TV to allow Canal+ channels to be decrypted and that works reliably.

I'm guessing a French TV on your aerial might pick up a good number of extra channels over what you're seeing. As for the language thing, we can set our TV to broadcast in original language where available - some films are broadcast with both original and dubbed soundtracks for your telly to choose from.

Personally I'm finding watching sport on French TV to be quite educational, as the same words and phrases come up over and over often enough to lodge in the brain (and if I'm still stuck I can ask my son, which is how I know what offside is: hors jeu), and tend to be interspersed with franglais such as le corner and, in F1 last Sunday afternoon, le blistering and le graining of the pneus. They also tend to get quite excited, which is good for keeping up with fast French!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:11 pm 

We recently had English freesat installed just to have a choice for cold winter evenings. Well, the best laid schemes...
We've watched very little so far, struggling to cope with accents...and OH's refrain is "turn it up, he/she's mumbling!" or "what language is he speaking?". Depending where you live, you should get the FR stations that Blaze mentioned. At our 1st house, we received TF1 and France 2 and 3 only. Here we get them all, but we also have Canal+ (so that YT can watch the Premier League).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:31 am 

Might have a look out for a similar sized small French TV to see if that makes a difference. Given that there are not that many satellite dishes in the town suggests people must be getting more channels.
From a technical point of view, does this mean the French TV is on a different set of frequencies, as the TV scanner searches out a wide range.
do all French TVs come with equivalent of Freeview built in, as in UK now, or do I need to look for something specific. Just checked my favorite French store for electrical gear, BUT, and wide range of prices. Assume TNT box is equivalent of Freesat.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:58 pm 

FTV (Free to View) and FTA (Free to Air) are similar but not the same.
Most UK mainstream channels are now FTV and the need for a branded "FreeView" box is not needed as any cheap box from your local Brico store will allow you to receive BBC, ITV etc in most areas of France with a suitable sized dish. (Note Astra has recently moved/juggled some BskyB channels and they now need a dish larger than the standard 45cm one, suggest 80cm+ if installing a new system!).

French FTV is available via a Fransat (card required about 15€)
more info if asked/needed.

Take a look at http://lyngsat.com as it lists everything available.

Free stuff by country at http://www.lyngsat.com/freetv/Europe.html

Lo0k for 28.2East (UK channels) and 19.0 East for main French ones and 13.0East for extra.

You can buy a cheap box that allows the fitting of a motor (About 50-60€) that will allow you to watch all of above positions free stuff and more besides.