It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: How do you start?
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:50 am 

regarding mistakes in Family Trees, we went to a Family History Fair at the NEC one of the talks we went to we were told to make a mistake when asking family members for information , as this often gets more response than a correct one, as they may think they cannot help if all is correct but will delight in pointing out a mistake, so the mistakes might be someone hoping for a response !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:44 pm 
When I started researching my birth family and my birth name I thought I didnt exist at all for a while because in the register of births they had missed a letter out of my original surname. Also the adoption organisation had me born the year before I was so I had a bit of a shaky start.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:32 pm 

How do you start? Should be called how do you keep delving without tearing your hair out!

I'm not usually patient, but I'm learning :lol: The original plan was to go back as far as possible from the grand- and great-grandparents. O'Leary, Doyle and Byrne have since dropped out - it's like looking for Smith, Brown & Taylor in London.

The others (Downes & de Lacy) are progressing...slowly. The Irish keep their cards close to their chests and make you pay for each piece of the jigsaw. Still, finding real and potential cousins along the way gives me a real buzz. Onwards and upwards!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:16 pm 
Good luck

Am lucky. Someone has done my family, including the four main families that come from different areas, variations on the name, the works.
The branch I belong to has been traced back to 1555. Buried 26 October 1614. That was Thomas, he married Ursula Earl on 5 September 1579. She died, buried 5 September 1613.

Even so, while it is done and it is comprehensive, there is a lot of stuff to look at. I had contact with the person who did it a while a go and he admittted he had no idea that the family was so big. Nor that many born in the last century lived so long.

MAD87 wrote:
a Dublin cousin on my father's side - Eithne :-o Had to do some research on how she's pronounced....(Ethna).
Sadly, she knows very little about the other dozens of paternal cousins as none of them keeps in touch.

Now when little we had a neighbour, Mrs O'D, a widow she was but had three daughters, Eithne, Aideen and Moira. I can see Mrs O'D now, the frames of her glasseswere of such a fine metal you'd have though they might break every time she put them on or took them off.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:40 am 

As has been said there is a real tingle when you visit a place where your ancestor lived.

The male line of my family 'emigrated' from Devon to Llanelli in the 18th century and there are still some of the same name there.

I went to Llanelli and looked up the address where one of my grandfathers lived as a little boy in the 1880s. It was a street of immaculately kept terrace houses and I stood across the road to take in the scene and, as there was no-one in to seek permission from, take a couple of photos. I noticed out of the corner of my eye a little girl of about 5 or 6 gazing at me intently. She asked 'what are you doing?' 'I am looking at the house where my grandfather was a little boy' I replied. Her face was a sight to behold as her eyes widened in sheer wonder that someone so old could actually have had a grandfather. :-o

It was almost as good as finding the house in the first place. :)

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:12 am 
Just come across this site if it is of any help to anyone.

Some interesting info there, London Archive Searches.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2013 5:14 pm 
One or two might find this interesting in tracing where family has come from rather than about the family.

Heraldry, I'm a bit biased but found this page riveting (the red of Richmond is lush).

Panic ye not, the contents page is here with an alphabetical list here.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:50 am 

I was contacted by two 'new' 2nd cousins this week, one in Dublin, one in Galway. One of them filled in a few blanks for me. The frustration of incomplete/destroyed Irish records remains, and there are no family bibles kickin' around...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:27 am 

Some years ago the wife and I took a short holiday down in Devon and set off one day to find the small village where many of my family were said to have lived. Parking on an extremely steep hill outside a churchyard we were amazed to find a huge number of graves bearing the family surname, most of which were leaning at a precarious angle and all apparently heading off down the slope. My wife got a severe case of the 'heeby-jeebies' seeing so many gravestones with her name engraved on them. It was almost as if they did not want us to leave, as when we returned to the car we could not move it, as gravity and the severe slope had locked the handbrake completely solid. We were able to get away, with a little help, and we also found that records which we had been told had been destroyed in a German bombing raid were actually still in existence, albeit some distance away. We have never managed to get to see them as we came to live here in France shortly afterwards, but hopefully we might manage it some time.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2013 12:17 pm 
Site Admin

I've also been contacted by a distant cousin who saw something I posted on Genealogy.com in 2008 ! We've been able to hep each other mutually to fill in some gaps.

Yes, the destruction of so many Irish records is frustrating :(

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:52 pm 

Another interesting forum:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php
I was looking for info. on my g.g.grandfather's ship and came across it. Since then there's been lots of memories of the Northumberland town where I grew up. Very nostalgic and sentimental.
I don't really need the family info. as I have a cousin who has done all the delving.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:54 pm 

It is worth putting yourself down on a site dealing with your surname. As a result of doing this I was contacted by a distant cousin, having put my details on a family history site. I now have my mother's mother's family back to 1650.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:18 pm 

This is so difficult if you come from a very multicultural family. Here in Switzerland, it is so easy, as each family name has a Commune d'Origine, where the family was first registered. All deaths, births, marriages, etc, are registered there - irrespective of where you live. Even my kids and grand-kids, who live in Surrey and Tenerife, are registered there, although they've never been there.

We are lucky that my OH's father's side is very well recorded as his grand-father and great uncle were very famous. But his grand-mother came from Indonesian slaves in SA, so no records. And on his mother's side, same story - mixed race children born of Dutch and Norwegian slave owners in SA having illegitimate children with African slave workers. We will never know that side of the story, as they never were recorded or even 'existed' officially.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:33 am 

I was contacted by another confirmed cousin yesterday! I created a Google web site last year with all the combined research done by other cousins and me and which regularly brings in enquiries/further bits of the puzzle. Yesterday's cousin has promised to give info on my gg-gransfather's second marriage, which produced 6 of his 11 children...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:50 am 
Site Admin

It's great when distant cousins get in touch, particularly if they have old photographs. Putting a face to a name, seeing what they wore and where they lived makes them more real.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:25 am 

We have been doing a lot of family research using Ancestry.co.uk (full membership-all countries) and Scotlands People. Ancestry is excellent and have found that researching family who have emigrated is quite fascinating especially when you use Google Earth to look at where they lived. Scotlands People is expensive. On my side we are a Scottish family and you can only buy credits which effectively means each piece of research you follow through can cost at least 6 (1 for list of choices, 5 then to look at detail) credits (£7 for 30!) and unlike Ancestry you can only put in a name, date of event and, if you know it locality. Often many choices come up and at that stage you have to pay 5 credits a "pop" for each one. On the positive side though you get fascinating detail on copies of certificates. Birth & Death give the precise time, parents details inc. mother's maiden and other marriage names, occupations of parents etc. and also for weddings the date of marriage of the parents!

Back to mid 18C now but severe block on maternal side as my Grandmother was Irish and although I can find all her "events" after she moved to Scotland and her passage back from a spell in New York I cannot trace any Irish records at all. Also my father's father is difficult to find as is his wife although all in Scotland. I have found that some Parish records are more accurate than others (E.G Imprecise names, addresses) and the use of gaelic and familiar names at times. However, sometimes you come accross Registrars who obviously took great pride in their jobs and make entries on certificates in full and correct detail in beautiful copperplate handwriting.

Hours spent so far and we have built a formidable tree with literally hundreds of people on it. You are advised not to do this but we find it incredibly interesting despite some of these people being very distant relations and occasionally you find some interesting facts out by doing this. No famous or infamous family members yet though despite a couple of known past "celebrities" being out there (One is entered in the family bible but must be quite distant!)

The shocking and sad thing is the number of infant deaths and also adults dying at a young age particularly in the 19th and early 20th Centuries. The living conditions, the level of medical knowledge available, plus at times the poverty, took a severe toll in our family and others as evidenced in Parish records.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:43 am 
Site Admin

It's terribly addictive and very difficult not to get sidetracked. I have Ancestry UK membership which gives some detail of Scottish ancestry, though the census records are not as detailed as the English ones.
You can also find other members' public trees but I've found many errors there, particularly when I have documentation to back up what I have. You can put in corrections, i.e. spellings, which were sometimes wrong as the handwriting could be difficult to read. if you have some idea of what you're looking for, it does help.

You can also find others who are interested in the same person and can then contact them.

BM & D certificates are really useful for the extra information they provide.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 6:10 pm 

A cousin mentioned to another cousin (!) recently that she'd read the WW1 will of one of our ancestors. Whilst I'll get the details of "our" will eventually, I've just found the new UK govt. site for finding WW1 soldiers' wills. You have to pay to see the will...
https://www.gov.uk/probate-search

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:07 pm 

Well, big strides in the last 12 months! Uploading all the family research has certainly borne fruit, and the combined families of my maternal great-great-grandfather have pushed the knowledge boundary back another 50+ years. Not bad when you're looking for ornnery Catholic families in a country where records aren't exactly thick on the ground...Still, the Irish authorities are getting serious and uploading more (free) stuff all the time, including untranscripted parish registers next summer. I've also got to know a load of "new" cousins (5-hour raucous AGM in a Dublin pub).

A word of warning about "professional" genealogists: Don't. Better to pay for subscription sites. I'm still trying to recover the balance of the money I paid to a Dublin researcher, a member of the board of a very respected genealogy body, who did zilch and has tried to pass me off with a shedload of excuses...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:18 pm 
Site Admin

Well done, MAD ! It can be a long slog, but there is so much more information available on line today which makes it much easier.

It's work keeping on checking and have often found stuff appearing on line that wasn't there a few years earlier.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:35 pm 

Yes I do agree with the fact that its very frustrating with many false links to cross references and dead ends, but with determination you get there in the end. As already said more info comes up as time passes.So far we are back to the 1750s.
Mami and I have spent many an hour tracing our respective trees on Ancestry.co.uk and have proven a number of old family stories, hers about being from ancient gypsy/Jewish stock ( be afraid) and myself having a link to THE Carnegie family, unfortunately for me on the wrong side of the sheets.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2014 11:15 am 

I have now located my Irish Grandmother's birthplace and have now got a copy of her birth certificate, about 20 euros, from Ireland. The problem was her Christian name. In English Bedelia but in Irish-Bridget. Correct name, found straight away thanks to http://www.rootsireland.ie/ifhf/surnames.php

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:12 am 

I've used rootsireland extensively for my research (my PCs are clogged with green BMD certificates). Very good site, constantly adding more counties to their database and very easy to use.

I've been trying to find alternative names for Brigid/Bridget for ages...thanks, wilbro!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 9:27 am 
Site Admin

I've got a distant cousin called Brigida and I once worked with a girl called Brid - both Irish - and I always imagined that their names were variations on Bridget. And there's also Brida/Breda.
Name spellings can be a problem, and nicknames can sometimes be used in the census forms instead of the real name.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:08 pm 

My grandmother went over to US and actually had a child out there but she was great at hiding her name. I have found her listed as Bridget on her birth cert. but Bedelia on all censuses, Bridelia (!) on her marriage cert. Delia on the Ships Passenger list returning from US (No passports required then!) and Louise for some unknown reason elsewhere. I also have her entered in an old family births book as Bedelia Louise so where Louise came from I don't know. Also my grandfather was living with his unmarried partner on the 1911 census and he gave his surname to the enumerator as being the same as hers (For respectability?) Had great fun chasing these people and still working hard!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:06 pm 

What are they like, these old people? Took me years to work out why there was no trace of my paternal grandmother anywhere. She had always been known throughout the family as Rowie but no-one knew whether that was short for Rowhilla, Rowena, or some other derivative.

Then, quite by chance we discovered that she was Louie. :o :lol:

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals