It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:59 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Re: TdF 2017
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:33 am 

I think that there was so much going on yesterday that to put the ads on at any time other than when the coverage was not on the race itself would have run a risk of missing a key bit of action

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 7:49 pm 
Site Admin

Bar some catastrophe, Froome should keep his Yellow Jersey for this year's Tour. After yesterday's pretty gruelling run (some really good stuff), today must have been a lot easier with some of the teams sticking together and none of the top riders racing to win the stage.
It's always sad when it all comes to an end. The film coverage is really good.

I guess Froome will be looking over his shoulder for Bardet in races to come. He (Bardet) has really come on since last year - such a pleasure to watch.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:12 pm 

The time trial could be interesting....

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:03 pm 

I've been especially impressed this last week by the performances of Sunweb's Warren Barguil. He wears that polka dot jersey like he was born to it, and aside from anything else, I wouldn't be surprised to see him battling for the GC next year. Only one thing confuses me .... Warren? I mean, when did 'Warren' become a French name?

Fingers crossed for Froome tomorrow, but Romain Bardet is still not too far behind. 23 seconds is less than a puncture.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:09 am 

I would watch out for Uran. He could well set a tough target for Froome to beat.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:55 am 
Site Admin

Yes, Uran's the other threat for Froome. He's crept up quietly and has been lurking for a while.

Warren .... a bit like Dylan and Kevin - they're names that crop up regularly in France. Perhaps their parents were fans of past actors/singers/footballers ? By the way, Barguil has a brother called ..... Brayann :lol:

Barguil is popular in Brittany - hardly surprising - and competes in a lot of local events. France hasn't had anyone consistent for a while and the French are itching to knock Froome off his perch. But then they have to produce someone who is good enough.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:28 am 

Why is Uran supposed to be a big threat? Boardman was on about this yesterday but he was nearly a minute down on Froome on Stage1 so why the sudden expection of something spectacular. Yes, Froome could have an off day but I can't see, all things being equal, either Uran or Bardet beating him.

Must admit I am fed up listening to David "Corporal Jones" Miller on ITV4 who's favourite word is PANIC. There is always panic running through the peloton according to him whenever another rider even twitches and I can envisage him running round the commentary box crying "Don't Panic, don't panic" plus he talks some utter garbage for an ex-pro rider in that stuttering way he has, starting and not finishing sentences.

Yesterday was a bit of a non-event in the GC race and I am surprised no one had the guts to at least have a go at the end when surely this was the best opportunity to have a go at Froome before the end. Have they given up? Bit of an anti climax as they trundled over the line in best Sunday Club outing fashion.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:02 pm 
Site Admin

It's sad when the Tour is over but great to see Chris Froome keeping his yellow jersey. Michael Matthews was thrilled to bits with his green one (would he have stood a chance if Sagan hadn't been fired ? Not that it matters .... ).
Uran comes across as a good sport - perhaps he'll do better next year ?? As for Warren Barguil, he was brilliant and it would be nice to see him in yellow one day. Romain Bardet managed to keep in the top 3 by a second in front of Mikal Landa.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to watch every stage of this year's Tour but it certainly wasn't without incident : so many good riders out before the end - Richie Porte, Cavendish, Geraint Thomas, Thibault Pinot, Kittel, Fuglsang (presumably re his injuries in the Sagan/Cavendish crash ?), Dan McLay and others.

The crowd seemed better this year though there were still some idiot exhibitionists. Perhaps there were fewer narrow spots where the crowds could gather. One part of one narrow mountain road was blocked off to keep people away.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:05 pm 

I agree, it is sad when it's over. What do I watch while I'm having my lunch?!

And we did have a bit of a race on the final stage, although the GC runners kept to convention and didn't threaten the yellow jersey. Still sad to hear booing from the crowd in Marseilles on the penultimate day's time-trial, although Froome's answer, to run Bardet down by almost two minutes, was response enough. He doesn't come across as the most endearing personality at times, and as the reviews this morning kept repeating, he lacks a bit of charisma - the Steve Davis of cycling perhaps - but there's no denying his determination, dedication and talent.

Simon Yates did good too.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:04 pm 

Bradley Wiggins got a knighthood, though he did win a few Gold medals as well, and has no charisma. Maybe Froome needs to win another one or two to get a nod from the great unwashed.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:03 am 

Like all things from politicians to sportsmen it's all about "personality" now rather than ability. As already mentioned we too are suffering from withdrawal symptoms and the daily dose of cycling. However, I am sick and tired of reading the accusations of doping that are constantly being made about Froome on French Forum sites. Get a grip Froggies, grow up and cut out the jealousy!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:14 am 
Site Admin

+1 Wilbro. The doping accusations by French against Froome can be countered with "If Bardet is only 29" behind Froome, is he doping too ?"
Yes, the French would love to see one of theirs in the yellow jersey, but until they produce someone up to the mark they'll just have to wait. They are not good losers.

I couldn't care less whether Froome has charisma or not, he's a brilliant cyclist and great to watch in action. As for Wiggins' knighthood - I don't agree with knighthoods for sportsmen/women and I'd rather see them bestowed on service folk fighting for queen and country. There are plenty of other suitable awards they could be given ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:23 am 

Blaze wrote:
I couldn't care less whether Froome has charisma or not, he's a brilliant cyclist and great to watch in action.

I think the point they were trying to make was in reference to the poor reception Froome receives from the non-British fans, the French especially. Yes, they don't like getting beaten, and have always been sore losers, whether it be cycling, rugby or disagreements with their teutonic neighbours, but they are still capable of appreciating talent. In Froome's case, that undoubted ability isn't tempered by an appealing persona, and they take it out on him by accusations of doping, or simply booing him when he rides by. In most people it would be disheartening ... but in his case, I suspect it merely spurs him on to greater things.

Anyway, on a more upbeat and positve note ... what's to look forward to next? It's La Vuelta from 19th August (http://www.lavuelta.com/la-vuelta/2017/us/) - anyone know if it's being televised? Time for a new thread perhaps ....

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:05 am 

La Vuelta is a great race also and ITV4 mentioned something about highlights but will have to do a bit more research to see if other channels are covering it, possibly French ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:32 pm 
Site Admin

Eurosport is covering it but I doubt French terrestrial TV will :(
Francetvsport has some info but I'm not sure it gives live coverage.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:27 am 

What a fantastic watch the Tour was. I especially like the scenery the views from the helicopters are amazing. Makes you want to go and see those areas of France. I remember the one that departed from Corisa, we had to go and see Corsica and we did. Hopefully this alone will help attract more tourists to France and all its beautiful departments.

Chris gave an interview after the tour, that he rode conservatively this tour. I think it was for his opponents to attack his lead and if they did he would attack them. I am saddened by this as he may have felt is he rode to his current form and gained more time on the difficult mountain stages, even more rubbish would have been spouted about doping.

His winning speech was heartfelt and eloquent he loves France the Tour, its plain to see. He is a gentleman in the way he acts, reacts to criticism. Not all fans appreciate a nice guy. For me he is head and shoulders above Wiggins as a professional and the way he interacts the team. I am sure there is something going to come out about that mysterious package debacle, way too dodgy for such a minor ailment medication. Well see time will tell no doubt.

So glad for the French they have Barguil and Bardet turning into really great riders. Though the combatant jersey going to Barguil where De Gent rode in over 1000 kms of breakaway, practically a third of the race... hmmm. Ringings of the Bardet sanction that didn't happen :lol:
Until next year Allez Le Tour.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:31 am 

Yes I agree, the decisions regarding Bardet and the 20 second penalty plus the most combatative rider award don't sit well with me at all but certainly the outlook for France in the next few years looks very positive, with Bardet, Barguil and Demarre promising much. I don't know about Wiggin's package but I suspect that the "controversy" will just disappear as time goes by but it would be more than disappointing if it did turn out to be some illegal substance that he took. My suspicion is it was within the rules but also that it probably stretched them somewhat. Maybe we will find out and maybe not.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:11 am 
Site Admin

The French are desperate to have a Frenchman in the limelight which may have something to do with overlooking Bardet's drink.
I agree, Nel, Froome presents himself well, always polite and never over-reacting. He certainly comes across as a nice guy - and why not ?!

It will be interesting to see how Bardet and Barguil perform over the next year - I reckon Chris Froome will need to watch out as they're both young and hungry.