It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:35 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Essential Blood Testing for animals returning to the UK
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 12:31 pm 
Site Admin

PLEASE BLOOD TEST YOUR ANIMALS

so they can return to the UK. You may not think you'll ever return but looking at the threads in the rehoming section you'll see plenty of topics of dogs/cats needing new homes because they are not qualified to return to the UK and were owned by people who never thought they would return.

Its just not worth the heartbreak for the price of 120 euros.

In order to return to the UK your pet must be:

1. Micro-chipped

2. Rabies vaccination

Both 1 and 2 can be done at the same vet appointment but the micro-chipping must be done BEFORE the vaccination.

3. Blood test 3-4 weeks following the rabies vaccination, your vet will tell you when you need this done.

4. Providing the blood test shows the right anti-body reading the dog can then go back to the UK 6 months following the date of the blood test.

5. When returning to the UK you will need to see your vet for a tick and worming treatment and your vet will time, date, sign and stamp the passport in the relevant places - check before you leave the appointment that the passport has been correctly completed. You cannot enter the UK in the following 24 hours but must enter the UK in the 24 hours after that.

After this you need to make sure that the rabies booster is given to you pet before the expiry date in the passport. Leave it a day too late and you will need to go through the whole process again. Its a good idea to put the date (even better a week earlier than its due) you need to booster in your new diary at the beginning of the year in very large letters so you don't miss it.

If you are in doubt then read this thread and I'm sure you will decide to go ahead and make sure your pet is qualified to return to the UK at any time.

http://www.thefranceforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=10800

This info is from Nettie
http://www.poundforahound.co.uk
http://www.greyhoundgap.org.uk

Post subject: Re: Essential Blood Testing for animals returning to the UK
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:16 pm 
Thank you for this Blaze. There is so much confusing information around. I do not think the DEFRA site is very clear. I have four different homes who would take my dog but I want to be able to take him with me anywhere.

A few things I have picked up. Make sure your vet can locate the microchip. My dog had the chip in his left shoulder but apparently they can travel.

The lab must be registered to make the blood test, the vet will advise.

The timing of the blood test after the rabies shot will depend on the vaccine used. Again your vet will advise you.

My dog is due to go back to the vet in two weeks for the blood test. The vet has said he can go to the UK five months after that date. No - I don't think so. As I said here is so much confusing information.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:50 pm 

A couple of weeks ago Brits left two cats and a dog in there garden and went back to the UK. I dont think its just as simple as getting animals chipped and passported, a lot of people just end up broke and head home. I know so many people who want to go back to the UK. We have a rescue dog who is chipped and has a passport, would never part with him.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:56 pm 
tweetypie wrote:
A couple of weeks ago Brits left two cats and a dog in there garden and went back to the UK. I dont think its just as simple as getting animals chipped and passported, a lot of people just end up broke and head home. I know so many people who want to go back to the UK. We have a rescue dog who is chipped and has a passport, would never part with him.

Even if you're flat broke, you can call the SPA, can't you? This sort of stuff makes me wild - it happened here where the only other English family did a bunk and two weeks later the neighbours broke down their garage door to find two starving cats locked inside. How can people be so heartless?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:22 pm 

Not just the Brits.
Turns out that Barn-y, so named cos she moved into our barn last winter... since producing a litter has been sterilised... 'belongs' to another neighbour who live in Paris.. spend 4 weeks here in summer and half a dozen weekends. Nice people but bums at pet responsibility. Meanwhile Barn-y showed no inclination to going back to being 'Princess' so now you know when she was borm (For those who do not know, each year the gov'mnt issues a list of petnames for the year and most people select a name from that list :? )

Our vet charges 10 euros to snuff a kitten and gives a 10 euro discount for each kitten snuffed if the mother is sterilised. Takers... no chance! Seems the locals like to keep the kittens for a few weeks while very cute... then they vanish.

As to brit Rabies paranoia Image *A smiley missed here."

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:07 am 

Sorry Frank/Carmen but I am going to disagree on the rabies paranoia thing.

As an island (archepelego actually) the British Isles have managed to be rabies free (except for bats which carry a different strain) for around 100 years.

Do you know just how close rabies is to you? Probably a lot closer than you think - and as one who has lived in a designated rabies catchment area, I can tell you it is an uncomfortable feeling with your pets running free - even if/though they have the inocculations. Tell that to the hunters who are out to shoot every living mammal just in case they had been bitten by the rabid fox.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:42 pm 

Ah, but Joe Public always knows best :lol: .

During the last Foot & Mouth scare to hit our parts, footpaths were closed, gates and stiles locked or access barred, but still better informed members of the public ignored notices and breached the closures with comments like; "You can't close a public footpath", "I'm only walking my dog", "I don't live near any cows so I'm not likely to spread anything", etc, etc.

Ignorance is bliss. :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:41 pm 

Just re-iterating the opinions of vets in both Holland and France on Rabies.

Sure it is nasty but also pretty rare, cars and alcohol are a much more serious issue.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:49 pm 

It is NOW rare - but it was a real problem not that long ago. It is the most dreadful disease, and the UK is absolutely right in making absolutely as sure as can be.

To go back to the OP, I absolutely agree with Blaze - make totally sure that you are ready in case of an emergency or other crisis. PLEASE. Our elderly dog is not up to date with rabbies vaccination, after years of travelling back and forth - our lovely neighbours look after her when we go away- and have promised to adopt her if ever something happens to us. Bless them.
Day after day people are writing on ex-pats Forums about their totally unexpected return to the UK and their inability to take pets back - it is heartbreaking and, in some cases, just makes my blood boil.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:37 am 

I'll second that Swissie. Although my pup is only 7 months old he's already had his first rabies jab and as, he failed the bloodtest, had another last month, with bloodtest to follow in a couple of weeks. When I bought him, he'd got the tattoo, so now he's been microchipped in anticipation of a "holiday" in UK, one day.
I spent some time deliberating whether or not to have another dog, the flexibility I had without was a key negative factor, but I welcome the companionship and want to be sure he is prepared for whatever needs to happen.