It is currently Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:13 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Photo finishing software
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:59 pm 

It seems that you read five independent reviews and end up with six recommendations for "the best" software for retouching / correcting digital photos.

So, what (if anything) do people here use / recommend to finish their photos?

J

Post subject: Re: Photo finishing software
PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:43 pm 
Site Admin

I do very little retouching and use the photo handler iPhoto which comes with a Mac. It allows me to do small tweaks with colour, light and dark, remove blemishes/blips, and resize, which is mostly all I want.
It's pretty basic and if I want to do more elaborate work, I use Photoshop Elements 9 which is not the latest version !

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:01 pm 

Without a word of a lie, for general retouching I use a twenty-year old Photoshop Special Edition 1.0, running on a W98 machine that I keep alive for that purpose. I have more modern, more powerful software that I use for preparing complex composite images, but nine times out of ten, if the original photo I want to use in those doesn't meet my requirements, I'll process it through PSE1.0 first.

I belong to the school of thought that says if you can't/don't take a decent photo in the first place, you'll never be able to manipulate it into one, so retouching/adjusting colour&contrast, or maybe editing out some physical or aesthetic blemish is really all that you need.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:23 pm 

If you want to get the best finish on an image, it is essential to use software. If you're not bothered with getting the best, it's not important.

Taking RAW images and making the conversion and adjustments in software is the best way to get the best quality image. Even when taking jpg images, they can be improved dramatically in post processing, even if you have taken a good picture "in camera."

I have many programs. Good free ones are GIMP, for full editing, and Perfect Layers for layering images. Other free ones exist.

More seriously, for conversion from a RAW image and for general post processing, I use Lightroom, which is superb. For anything after that, I have the Nik software suite, which does everything else you could imagine without paying the ludicrous price of the latest version of Photoshop.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:23 am 
Site Admin

I have a subscription to Adobe Creative Cloud for work, which gets me the latest of all their software. I use Photoshop every week, mainly for restoring and working on old photographs for CD cover artwork, but it does come in useful on new photos as well. I recently installed the lens correction filter for my Tamron 70-300mm lens - looking forward to seeing how that works.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 2:22 pm 

It should work pretty well, Andrew. I use the lens correction in Lightroom, particularly for ultra wide angle lenses, which often create distortion.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:09 pm 

Unfortunately I find it depends how serious I am about wanting to edit a photo, what I want to do, and how much time I want to spend on it, so I have a selection of software as the available tools and their functionality varies.

I usually use the Pentax software to convert my RAW (actually DNG) images to TIFF for editing (for serious work, do not edit JPG, if you have the option).

For a quick correction, I find Picasa has enough options (but only saves corrections as JPG) . For more serious work I have the free LightZone, Paint.Net, Photofiltre RawTherapee and GIMP. I have a full copy of Zoner Photo Studio (there is a free version and the current full version is usually available on Giveaway of the Day at least once a year just before a new version is released).

For creating spherical or cylindrical panoramas I use the free Hugin and use Pano2VR to convert them as interactive 360º panoramas.

For High Dynamic Range imaging (HDR) I use Oloneo (but it is no longer being actively developed) and the free Luminance HDR.

For posting photo albums on my own web site I use jAlbum.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 8:13 am 

Only an amateur but I use Serif photoplus which I have used to rebuild some very damaged old family photos.
There is a free version and free versions of other software on their web site, all old or reduced functionality compared to the latest additions.
http://www.serif.com/freedownloads/

Panorama plus is easy to build panoramic or 360 views once you get the hang of it, don't know how these compare with others.

For close up or enlargements Photozoom Pro cleverly works out how to zoom in without pixelating the image.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:06 am 

I use Gimp. As good as photoshop and it is FREE.
http://www.gimp.org/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:12 pm 

Gimp is very good, and for free it's incredible. Not so easy to use as some others, but easier than Photoshop.

I use Gimp for various things such as their clone tool, which is just about identical to PS.