It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:23 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Time lapse construction filming
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:42 pm 

Anyone done it? which camera did you use? Looking at the Brinno BBC100, got a question, mods this may be a computer topic, the camera uses a Sd card of 4Gb according to "Brinnos" website if I want to film the full destruction of the old house and reconstruction of the new house I need a Sd card of 45Gb, if I use a 32Gb card and every three months transfer the data to my computer, will that card be wiped clean ready to receive the next three month filmings, or Iam I best putting in a 64Gb card to start with? Thanks, Spec

Post subject: Re: Time lapse construction filming
PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:54 pm 

I have not done this, but will be intrigued at what others advise, not to mention the finished product.

My thoughts, for what they are worth:

- will the camera be left in situ day and night to ensure it remains framed correctly?

- if not, how will you keep alignment?

- will the battery last? - fiddling around changing them may risk alignment

- what is this the best interval for several months building work - will you film 24/7 or just 8 to 8?

- if you use Windows, Microsoft have software called Hyperlapse Pro that may be useful - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=52379

Good Luck. As I say, it will be interesting to see what others propose - or better still their results!

Just seen this:

J

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:28 pm 

Bit out of my league with timelaps, but surely when you download onto your pc, you can delete all on the card.with my set up I'm asked if I want to delete or retain those on the card.
I've taken thousands , especially when on holiday down under and downloaded every so often onto my sister's pc then later put them on a stick to bring back, each time deleting the camera card ones

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:37 pm 
Site Admin

Well out of my league too !

However, as Papi says, if you download it to your computer, you can delete everything immediately afterwards, leaving the card free for the next upload. That is, for stills shots. For movie shots, I'm not sure but there facility must be there on your computer to bin the contents of a card - which must of course be done while the card is in or connected to the computer, then emptied from your compter dustbin !

I would check the viability of a large GB card : with stills shots, it is recommended to use more smaller capacity cards rather than large ones, i.e. 16gb. However, if you are using a movie camera over several hours, it will probably be inadequate.

Sorry Spec, probably not very helpful ...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:51 am 

Thanks will probably use a 32Gb card and download it every couple of months. The camera comes with a waterproof housing, its this that you secure, the camera slots into it, keeping it pointing the same way, battery life depends on the number of frames taken, but in my case about 70/80 days, yes you can program the hours you want it to work, so my setup will be one frame per minute, on between 0800/1900, having a rough idea how long it will all take should give me a movie of about half an hour. Spec

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:08 am 

Look forward to seeing it, I like when it's done at an amateur level rather than some fancy mega budget, It contains more soul.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:37 am 

Spectrum2 wrote:
Thanks will probably use a 32Gb card and download it every couple of months. The camera comes with a waterproof housing, its this that you secure, the camera slots into it, keeping it pointing the same way, battery life depends on the number of frames taken, but in my case about 70/80 days, yes you can program the hours you want it to work, so my setup will be one frame per minute, on between 0800/1900, having a rough idea how long it will all take should give me a movie of about half an hour. Spec

Sounds interesting Spec, do you already have a video editor in use, if so, which one?

If none I can recommend the one I use after testing a few when You Tube stopped their own.

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:42 am 

No Spardo I don't have one, what do you recommend? a nice simple one if you don't mind, have ordered the camera, demolition starts early December, they hope to start building in January, however because all the house was destroyed we have to apply for planning permission, also last year it was classified as "Batiment De France" the changes and compliance to their rules are costing a lot of extra money, and as you would expect a lot are IMHO stupid and unnecessary, all because of something that happened 240Million and ten years ago :-o :-o . Spec

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:25 am 

Whilst I feel your pain for the bureaucracy, care to explain a little more whats going on?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:40 pm 

Spectrum2 wrote:
No Spardo I don't have one, what do you recommend? a nice simple one if you don't mind, have ordered the camera, demolition starts early December, they hope to start building in January, however because all the house was destroyed we have to apply for planning permission, also last year it was classified as "Batiment De France" the changes and compliance to their rules are costing a lot of extra money, and as you would expect a lot are IMHO stupid and unnecessary, all because of something that happened 240Million and ten years ago :-o :-o . Spec

I use Movavi Video Editor 12 and it is very good. There is a later edition but I don't need it for the moment. Mine cost around €25 but you can download it and use it for free for a time before having to buy.

I use it because now I find that I don't need to take photos of dogs (and wait, and miss, the perfect shot) but take videos from which I can take snapshots. Don't need the editor for that but I found that I was also missing stuff by trying to keep the videos short.

This is where the editor came in and where it might benefit you. I now keep the video running for many minutes (hanging round my neck I sometimes forget it) because all the useless bits can easily be cut out and the useful bits (and other videos if necessary) joined together. Thus a 10 or 15 minute video with loads of wandering sky and treetop footage ( 8-| ) can be cut down to maybe 2 or 3 minutes.

Just a thought, give it a try and see what you think, it may cost you nothing. :)

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:29 pm 

Well 240 million years ago a meteorite hit my neighbourhood, I was told this ten years ago, ;) so in June of last year they decided to place the area around this hole into the hands of "Batiments de France" in the Uk we call it a conservation area, so although my plans had been passed in 2007 and the house was only a year from completion we have had to re-apply, and we cannot have the same house, so it had to be a new design, the original was at an angle to the lane as we have a big tree there, the new one has to be square to the lane, the windows have to be wood effect, or a mucky grey colour, the roof has to match each side of the house, we cannot have patio doors in, so we have to have bi-fold doors, we have to move the entrance about thirty meters, which means all the services that was there now have to be moved or new ones put in, the biggest extra cost is that my architect wanted to put the new house behind where the old one was, so on virgin ground, better for the new foundations, but alas no, :-? we have to fill in the old foundations and then re-dig them out for the new house, its just the way life goes, at least we are getting a new house built admittedly half the size. Would like to put some pics of the heap of bricks that was our home, if anyone is interested, the pics are on an e-mail, we employed a friend to take some drone pictures, but I don't know how to do it. Spec

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:20 pm 

Well it sounds as if you have the fortitude and patience of a saint having to put up with all of that!

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.