It is currently Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:44 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: woodworm treatment
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:37 am 

Is there any product that you would recommend and that I would easily buy in France?
I need it to treat old and new beams both in roof and floor.
Thank you.

Post subject: Re: woodworm treatment
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:50 am 

Hi.

Xylothene is one of the best you can get out of many that you will see in diy shops. Brico depo has it at 77,90 for a can of 30 litres at the moment.
Be careful using it as its a bit dangerous when spraying it on beams, have all windows and doors open and if doing it in the loft do a bit then get out for a while.
There is a relativly new version of xylothene which is water based and not so bad, you need a proper sprayer for the stuff which puts out droplets not a fine spray.

happy wood worm chasing.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:59 pm 

I agree that this is the easiest and probably the cheapest (long term) way to go.

To add a few extra details:
1. Xylophene will not soak completely into the wood, but you want to get it as far in as possible. I have applied 3 coats (by garden sprayer as suggested) each one being applied before the other one dries, which forces the stuff deeper into the wood. The water based stuff does not penetrate as well as the stinky oil based stuff.
2. Pay particular attention to joints where you cannot get to bits of the wood surface and really soak those areas - also where wood disappears into walls.
3. Get kitted out for this properly - disposable overall gloves and a mask suitable for aerosols - not the felt, clip over the nose and mouth sort. The proper mask will look like a gas mask.

For every problem there is a solution that is simple, quick ..............and wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 4:00 pm 

Agree with all the above and the mask part is very important, especially with the amounts you will be treating.

Good luck :)

clare

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:27 pm 

Thank you all for your answers and advice. I saw there are many different brands of this product and prices may vary from 49 euros for 25liters to 95 euros for 5 liters!! :shock:
Do you think in this case the more you spend the more you get, or one or the other are the same?
Thank you again for your help.

Roberta

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:11 pm 

We came back to our house last October after an enforced break of 15 months whilst I was having medical treatment. We discovered active woodworm and treated it with the Xylothene and it seems to have done the trick. We (I say we, I mean my husband :lol: ) has treated everything about 3 times and will do it again when he's next down to make sure we keep zapping any that have escaped in the previous zappings. My Dad reckons it's important to continue doing it regularly to make sure you cover their life cycle.

Husband wears a gas mask type mask whilst he's doing it.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:19 pm 

We always brush some on any new wood, skirtings etc, that we bring in to the house too.

clare