the france forum
http://thefranceforum.net/

fosse septic question
http://thefranceforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=25869
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Patf [ Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:04 pm ]
Post subject:  fosse septic question

What will be the effect of a small amount of petrol (half pint) into an old concrete fosse system?
Apart from the smell coming up the drain.

Author:  peake [ Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:54 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: fosse septic question

Patf wrote:
What will be the effect of a small amount of petrol (half pint) into an old concrete fosse system?
Apart from the smell coming up the drain.


DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT DOING SO


Petrol vapours are heaver than air, combustible and could last some time in an underground tank, and if ignited by a stray spark, you could have a rather dirty great big hole in the ground

Just find a piece of flat ground tip out the petrol, and let it evaporate for a time, and then if you feel brave enough light what's left of the liquid

Author:  Patf [ Thu Jan 05, 2017 2:52 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: fosse septic question

Peake - it has already been done :ymblushing:
I put some Eparcyl down the toilet

Author:  Papibryn [ Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:53 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: fosse septic question

Could open the lid and check with a candle if it's OK. %-(

Author:  Provost [ Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:41 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: fosse septic question

Should be no problem. The digestion in the tank is anerobic so the petrol will just float on the surface and slowly evaporate away. Fuel is non toxic so should not damage the microbes doing the work.

Author:  thelastoneout [ Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:04 am ]
Post subject:  Re: fosse septic question

Non toxic? Really?

Well here then is another case of Government waste. Fancy devoting 16 pages to a non toxic material.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... iew_v2.pdf


They try hard to downplay the risks, but as the first line says, petrol is a mixture of materials - and among the commonly found components are things like benzene. Look that one up for its specific toxicity. Even at a few ppm in petrol (and it is usually much more than that) you would not want to mess with it, but people frequently do so. Familiarity breed contempt and contempt can come back and bite you in the bum.

I do agree however that the fosse will probably continue working without any obvious effect.

Author:  Patf [ Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:42 am ]
Post subject:  Re: fosse septic question

Well that's good - merci à tous. Fingers crossed.
The smell seems to have gone today.

Author:  Provost [ Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:48 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: fosse septic question

thelastoneout wrote:
Non toxic? Really?

Well here then is another case of Government waste. Fancy devoting 16 pages to a non toxic material.

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... iew_v2.pdf


They try hard to downplay the risks, but as the first line says, petrol is a mixture of materials - and among the commonly found components are things like benzene. Look that one up for its specific toxicity. Even at a few ppm in petrol (and it is usually much more than that) you would not want to mess with it, but people frequently do so. Familiarity breed contempt and contempt can come back and bite you in the bum.

I do agree however that the fosse will probably continue working without any obvious effect.

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC + 1 hour
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/