It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:17 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
 Post subject: Average cost of a chimney sweep?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:09 am 
Site Admin

I know it differs region to region, and how mucky the chimneys are, but I'm just trying to get an average idea. Our's are very simple and cheap, but I'd like some comparisons for worst case scenario.

Post subject: Re: Average cost of a chimney sweep?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:21 am 

Around 75 euros for us. Insert with the piping to clean and all the insert itself using a vacuum.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 12:34 pm 

70-80 euros here

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:37 pm 

liz wrote:
70-80 euros here

Ditto

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 pm 

Paid €54 last September in Mayenne.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:57 pm 

75€

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:36 pm 

Checked - but never cleaned or had cleaned - either of mine in 11 years, not sure by what miracle a fire in a double skinned innox liner in a cast concrete chimney can do any damage anyway.

Heard all the warnings that if the house burns down the insurance won't pay but since in all that time nothing has shown the slightest sign of so much as singing let alone catching fire I'm perfectly comfortable with assessing that risk as nil.

IMO it's money grabbing BS which preys on mostly irrational and unfounded fears but does proves that one size does NOT fit all.

Neither house buyers nor Notaire mentioned word one about chimneys or cleaning thereof last week.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:42 pm 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esCfl0cmvVA

Here is another traditional method.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:38 pm 

ErnieY wrote:
Checked - but never cleaned or had cleaned - either of mine in 11 years, not sure by what miracle a fire in a double skinned innox liner in a cast concrete chimney can do any damage anyway.

Heard all the warnings that if the house burns down the insurance won't pay but since in all that time nothing has shown the slightest sign of so much as singing let alone catching fire I'm perfectly comfortable with assessing that risk as nil.

IMO it's money grabbing BS which preys on mostly irrational and unfounded fears but does proves that one size does NOT fit all.

Neither house buyers nor Notaire mentioned word one about chimneys or cleaning thereof last week.

I'll go along with that, what is all this business about insurance? My friend couldn't find a sweep so he bought something from the brico to burn in the grate. The box had a declaration to sign on it, which he did. That's good enough for insurance? :o

The pitch on my roof is gentle enough to walk up and at one point is close enough to the ground to get access from stepladders. So that has been my job every August when I push down the connected rods and brush I bought for a pittance, first closing all the doors and air intakes. The hardest parts were lifting off the concrete table, and first removing the cast baffle plate. For those 2 reasons I'm glad I don't have to do it anymore. :)

http://longdistancedogdiary.weebly.com/index.html - Transporting dogs, anywhere

The Phoenix Association - dedicated to caring for lost and abandoned animals

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:53 am 

Sadly it isn't BS Ernie, the rules/laws whatever are put in place because of the one size fits all based on the worst case scenario.

There are some really piss poor wood burning stoves and open fires out there and they do put a lot of residue on the inside of the chimneys. Now think of the word chimney, does that mean the voluminous old open fire chimneys, yes of course. Sadly it could also be yours or mine (similar) whilst a fire maybe rarer in a double skinned flue they do still happen because some burn damp wood, not hot enough or the overnight slow burn. The relly's have had two fires in their double lined external encapsulated chimney because they have a poor wood burner, burning not hot enough and overnight.

The chimney fire will in most cases mean renewing the liner.

Thus we have rules and laws forced upon those of us who know better.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:57 am 
Site Admin

Thanks for the responses. I'm also finding out if it's obligatory for a vendor to get their chimneys swept before completion, or if not, the purchaser can pass the charge to the vendor.

I've heard a similar thing about fosse septiques havng to be emptied before completion of a sale?

We have two wood burners which OH painstakingly cleans before lighting each year. One is easy, the other not so much!. Then we put those special bricks in occasionnally to burn off any crud in the flues.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:58 am 

We have friends who had a fire in their rented house the first time they lit the insert.

I don't know the exact legal outcome but luckily non of them were injured. The smoke damage was bad enough for them to have to be moved for a while.
We have a contract with a company who do ours twice a year. I guess Bretagne and Southern France regions are very different though. Humidity here is always a big issue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:17 pm 
Site Admin

Did they clean it before they used it, or had they been told it had recently been done. Thank goodness they weren't hurt.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:25 am 

If I remember correctly ours cost 57€. An open fire with no resinous wood burnt and it was done every year. `if you can't afford about 1€/week for the peace of mind of having it done then??? We did.

We had a semi Cotswold stone cottage before our French move. The bloke next door had a chimney fire and decided that he could manage to put it out. He was a teacher? I finished up calling out the fire brigade and it took them 4 hours to put the dammed thing out! Just because he didn't need the chimney swept !

What does it cost? A dozen bottles of wine? Your choice. (Well 1/2 dozen here in England now :(( :(( :(( )

http://johnamandiers.wix.com/johns-w-o-w-1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:53 pm 

Bayleaf wrote:
Did they clean it before they used it, or had they been told it had recently been done. Thank goodness they weren't hurt.

To be honest, I'm not sure they knew anything about chimney sweeping and the consequences. I think they saw a pretty insert chimney and just chucked wood in and bang!!! They're French but I think it's the first time they'd rented somewhere with a wood fire.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:07 am 
Site Admin

Just goes to show ignorance is not always bliss! When we sold our Pepiniere, we repeated in no uncertain terms that the new owners should not light the insert woodburner until they'd had it checked. We'd never used it, partly as the building was for business purposes, not for getting cosy! Plus, we could see that it needed attention. It was sold as seen, but for goodness sake get it checked out!

For anyone who used to visit the Pepiniere, it now looks like part of the family is living there. The chimney exudes smoke on a regular basis, windows have been put in upstairs and as they were a family firm of electricians, all the electrics should be top notch now, instead of big bodge like they were when we bought it! Where all the plants were, it's reverted to grass, there's a veggie plot and in one corner where the bare root trees were heeled in, is a duck/hen/goose area. Nice to see it going to good use!